Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 79534 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #90
Yes, that seems to be the considered approach, but I'm not sure BB will get enough rope to be allowed to make the right decision. I think our clubs is littered with sticky fingers!

Your comment is certainly appropo of the "old" Carlton. Hopefully we have moved on somewhat, but the decision is not one to be made lightly for sure.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #91
Hawthorn changed Mitchell for Hodge and you dont have to be too bright to figure out it was the right move.....Mitchell is a great player but a less aggressive, quieter individual
who lets his football do the talking. He doesnt have the presence of Hodge or the ability to get players to follow him into battle..

Like Mitchell its no slight on Murphy if he has the captains role taken away from him and given Bolton wants the position reviewed I would take the hint if I was MM and resign the position, reckon Murphy will excel without the weight of being captain...its been an effort IMO and full credit to him as he has tried his best to be the leader with everything but it just doesnt come natural to him IMO and Bolton knows he has to get a more natural leader in the role...

Reply #92
Hawthorn changed Mitchell for Hodge and you dont have to be too bright to figure out it was the right move.....Mitchell is a great player but a less aggressive, quieter individual
who lets his football do the talking. He doesnt have the presence of Hodge or the ability to get players to follow him into battle..

Like Mitchell its no slight on Murphy if he has the captains role taken away from him and given Bolton wants the position reviewed I would take the hint if I was MM and resign the position, reckon Murphy will excel without the weight of being captain...its been an effort IMO and full credit to him as he has tried his best to be the leader with everything but it just doesnt come natural to him IMO and Bolton knows he has to get a more natural leader in the role...

His problem is who can that be. As Connolly rightfully says, there is a dearth of suitable candidates atm, Cripps is the obvious heir but maybe he's too young just yet. It will be interesting.

Reply #93

Bolton will sort it out one way or another. We have a few leaders that could do the role of Captain. We have nothing to gain throwing Cripps into the deep end too early. Cripps or Weitering could step into the position in a few years time when they are ready.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #94
Carlton is in reset mode where every aspect of the club is being reviewed and improved where possible.
As a result murphy's captaincy is being looked at, I'm sure this is just a bit of a ploy and he will continue in that capacity and we will read "after careful consideration it has been determined that mark murphy is indeed the best man to lead the cfc during this exciting time in its history,  mark enjoys the full support of all sections of the club!"

Reply #95
2E says Murph is da man!

From The Hun
AFL 2015: Zach Tuohy says Marc Murphy is right man to lead Carlton in 2016
December 8, 2015 12:23pm

ZACH Tuohy says things are starting from scratch at Carlton.
With a host of new faces at the club, everything seems to be changing.
Everything, Tuohy says, except the captaincy — although Brendon Bolton has done little to quell that discussion.
“I’ve got no doubt in my mind that Marc Murphy has been the best captain at the club,” Tuohy told SEN on Monday evening.
“And the way he’s come on in the last couple of years — even the past two or three years — I’d be very surprised if he wasn’t leading the club forward.
“But I guess what Bolts is trying to say is that we’re looking for leaders at the club to step up to different roles, but I’m certainly happy with where skip is.”
Touhy, an Irish import who was rookie listed by Carlton in 2010, said Bolton’s philosophy on leadership was a microcosm of his overall vision to redesign the club, from the bottom up.
And while Tuohy has already experienced one dethroning — when Mick Malthouse replaced Brett Ratten as the Blues coach at the end of the 2012 season — he says that this change-of-hands feels different.
“When Mick came along, I remember people were saying he was trying to reinvent the wheel, but we’ve really taken it back and started from scratch this time,” Tuohy said.
“It’s been a significant change around the club.
“It’s the biggest change I’ve experienced for six or seven years, it’s a restart if you like.
“It is refreshing, it’s different and exciting again.”
And one thing that Carlton fans should indeed find refreshing is Tuohy’s forecast on Daisy Thomas.
“He’s one of a number of players that just seem to be reinvigorated,” Tuohy said.
“He’s on top of his body, he’s in really good condition.”
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #96
“It’s the biggest change I’ve experienced for six or seven years, it’s a restart if you like."

Ctl Alt Del have been pushed.................skipper not included though. probably.  ;)

Reply #97
“It’s the biggest change I’ve experienced for six or seven years, it’s a restart if you like."

Ctl Alt Del have been pushed................  ;)

As long as there's no restore from previous backup

:D

cheers

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #98
Yep don't want all those viruses left by the previous regime! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #99
Unless we can find an old archived backup from the Win 95 era !

(mind you, even that would have some latent malware !)

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #101
Unless we can find an old archived backup from the Win 95 era !

(mind you, even that would have some latent malware !)

:))

And if we have now gone to W10 let's hope our processor can cope with it.

Reply #102
Club needs to settle this fairly soon though. If it's Murphy, then don't leave the loose thread hanging there.

Reply #103
Murphy seems fairly comfortable with the process and handled media questions deftly and confidently.  However, I got the impression that he would be p1ssed off if he lost the job.

Like the others interviewed, he seems to be relishing Bolton's approach, the new assistants and all of the new blokes.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #104
Yep if the whole club is resetting itself maybe you give Murphy another crack under a decent regime as well. Give him 2 years and we pray by then that Cripps is ready to take over.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!