Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 79535 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #121
I wouldnt be happy if I was Marc Murphy....

Why, because he's going to be skipper again?   ;)

I reckon "Marc Murphy at the moment is our captain. He's shown really good leadership, as have others to date, which is pleasing," Bolton said, is code for Murphy's got the job but I have to go through the motions of the review I announced before I'd really thought it through.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #122

I reckon "Marc Murphy at the moment is our captain. He's shown really good leadership, as have others to date, which is pleasing," Bolton said, is code for Murphy's got the job but I have to go through the motions of the review I announced before I'd really thought it through.

DJ..You are at work, been promoted to head of dept for a couple of years during tough times and the new Boss comes in and says look mate we will look at a few other people for the position but if
we cant find what we are looking for then you can have the job again....not many people I know would take that very well or be looking long term at that employer...

In fact a few I know including myself might be inclined to tell the new Boss what I thought and move on...

Reply #123
Elwood. Lets look at the Mitchell / Hodge situation at Hawthorn. Two different players with different character types. Each is a champion and a leader in terms of leading by example. Sometimes you need a player as captain that demands respect and is vocal enough to let you know it. Murphy won't leave if he isn't captain. If a better captain is in our current squad he would accept a role as VC. IMO.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #124
It all comes down to whether or not Marc is the right man to be leading us going forward or whether there is a better clear option that stands out to replace him next year. Personally I don't think there is one ready atm. I think therefore we will keep him in the job but there will be huge expectations placed on other senior players to step up in the leadership stakes to better support him. This will be non-negotiable IMO, and I think it can be made to work for us.

It will all have to be handled very carefully but I've got confidence that BB will do it well.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #125
Elwood. Lets look at the Mitchell / Hodge situation at Hawthorn. Two different players with different character types. Each is a champion and a leader in terms of leading by example. Sometimes you need a player as captain that demands respect and is vocal enough to let you know it. Murphy won't leave if he isn't captain. If a better captain is in our current squad he would accept a role as VC. IMO.

Mants...two very exceptional players and Mitchell took it very well and proved what a champ he is and put the club first...not many would do that so it would/will be a test
for Murphy's character to have his role questioned...if I was selling it to Murphy it would be on the basis he will perform better as a player without the burden of being skipper.
I think he will retain the position short term and be on trial but will he always have it in the back of his mind that the coach isnt fully sold on him in the captains role and he needs to prove himself...just my opinion...

Reply #126
Bolts made a throw away line a couple of weeks into his coaching career that the media have sunk their collective teeth into. Now he knows Murph he will endorse him as skipper. End of saga.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #127
Mants...two very exceptional players and Mitchell took it very well and proved what a champ he is and put the club first...not many would do that so it would/will be a test
for Murphy's character to have his role questioned...if I was selling it to Murphy it would be on the basis he will perform better as a player without the burden of being skipper.
I think he will retain the position short term and be on trial but will he always have it in the back of his mind that the coach isnt fully sold on him in the captains role and he needs to prove himself...just my opinion...

For me Elwood you sold the exact feeling I had. Murph will put the club first if there is a better captain at the moment. He is a far better player than a leader. Judd as an example. He was a captain and preferred to be seen as an elite player. Murphy is not a Judd, Mitchell or a Hodge. He is a really fine player though. One I hope we keep at the club for another few more seasons. We haven't seen the best out of him just yet. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #128

Agree. Instead of "Ready...Fire...Aim", we have "Review...Analyse...Consult...Make Damn Sure....Execute". I like it.
Go Blues
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #129
Cripps is the heir apparent AFAIC and is clearly so. Until he is fully ready Murph will get the gig. I'm pretty sure that Murph knows that and is happy with the situation to the extent that he will assist Cripps as much as he can to develop into the role, maybe in 2017. Murph can then enjoy his remaining playing years as an elder statesman of the team, a la Juddy. I'm sure that is the clear strategy and all parties involved understand that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #131
Weitering?

Yep, I have no doubt that Cripps is the man going forward but Murph might be given the job for one more year so Crippa can solidify his on field performance without the pressure of the Captaincy.
Wouldn't mind seeing Cripps in the leadership group though.

Reply #132
Given our current predicament, Murph and Simmo as co captains may be a reasonable compromise.

Reply #133
Given our current predicament, Murph and Simmo as co captains may be a reasonable compromise.

I like the idea of sharing responsibility if we don't have a Hodge, Carey or Kernahan type at the moment. Works for Sydney.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #134
I like the idea of sharing responsibility if we don't have a Hodge, Carey or Kernahan type at the moment. Works for Sydney.

Yet, how would Murphy react to no longer being the sole Captain?
Finals, then 4 in a row!