Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 79541 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #135
Weitering?

Yep he looks like he could be captaincy material too but Cripps is a bit ahead of him atm. Probably VC eventually and backline general.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #136
Yep he looks like he could be captaincy material too but Cripps is a bit ahead of him atm. Probably VC eventually and backline general.

I reckon let Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer share the load for next few years and then we can decide then who the best person is.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #137
I reckon let Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer share the load for next few years and then we can decide then who the best person is.

Fair call.

Reply #138

Makes perfect sense to me!

I would like to see the club bring some aspiring leaders into the leadership group.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #139
My only concern with Krooz as captain is his injury history, as I've stated previously.

Gibbs ? Hmmm................

Reply #140
My only concern with Krooz as captain is his injury history, as I've stated previously.

Gibbs ? Hmmm................

With the dearth of available captains atm I anticipate that BB will expect Gibbs to step up as a leader if not as a captain or VC in name. He is a senior player and must pull his weight as a leader in our present circumstances.

Reply #141
With the dearth of available captains atm I anticipate that BB will expect Gibbs to step up as a leader if not as a captain or VC in name. He is a senior player and must pull his weight as a leader in our present circumstances.

cookie, as I'm sure you know, Gibbs is already VC. If Bolton can get him to step up in the leadership area, that will be quite an achievement. I like Bryce, but I've never seen him as a leader.

Reply #142
Gibbs was identified as having leadership qualities very early on and it's an indictment on our systems that he has failed to come on in that area.

Sure, we can say that we are focussing on recruiting players with leadership attributes but put them into a system where they won't flourish and you get very few leaders. You can then blame recruiting or personality traits but the reality is you need development in leadership just like all other aspects.

Anyway, we're going to have to suffer some pain in that area for a few years so it's not really a big deal whoever they go with.

Reply #143
Not sure I agree with your last sentence, but the rest rings pretty true to me.

Reply #144
Yet, how would Murphy react to no longer being the sole Captain?

Dont think he will be over joyed about a demotion because thats what it is but
being the good player he is I think he would let his footy do the talking to prove he is the better man for the job...

Reply #145
Gibbs was identified as having leadership qualities very early on and it's an indictment on our systems that he has failed to come on in that area.

Sure, we can say that we are focussing on recruiting players with leadership attributes but put them into a system where they won't flourish and you get very few leaders. You can then blame recruiting or personality traits but the reality is you need development in leadership just like all other aspects.

Anyway, we're going to have to suffer some pain in that area for a few years so it's not really a big deal whoever they go with.

Gibbs has done a pretty good job of mentoring young Cripps.

I thought it was a mistake to drop Leading Teams and not bring in a replacement program.  The in-house program we have now has a lot of ground to make up.

Here's what Gibbs has to say:

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2015-12-16/gibbs-talks-captaincy-camp-and-comeback

The poor bugger tried to lead with a bit of physicality and copped a two week ban.  In that light, I wouldn't mind someone with a bit of attitude in a leadership role.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #146
The sling tackle was a poor example of physicality in my view, and was made worse given that the victim is one of the nicest, cleanest players in the AFL. I hope no player ever gets leadership plaudits for slinging defenseless players to the ground.

I much prefer the Simmo leadership style, based on courage under fire.

Reply #147
The sling tackle was a poor example of physicality in my view, and was made worse given that the victim is one of the nicest, cleanest players in the AFL. I hope no player ever gets leadership plaudits for slinging defenseless players to the ground.

I much prefer the Simmo leadership style, based on courage under fire.

Perhaps opponents should refrain from belting the crap out of Murphy because he's a nice, clean player  ::)

The way Gibbs executed the tackle had room for improvement but the intention was faultless.  Barker had asked for a "tough-tackling approach" and Gibbs was leading by example.

I much prefer the Johnno Brown leadership style, based on courage with fire :)

Reply #148
The Gibbs tackle was leadership at it's finest because the next bounce after play resumed Cripps drove a Port player into the turf. That physicality set the tone and set up the win.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #149
cookie, as I'm sure you know, Gibbs is already VC. If Bolton can get him to step up in the leadership area, that will be quite an achievement. I like Bryce, but I've never seen him as a leader.

Bryce does not come across as a leader when I've seen him interviewed - he is very laid back and affable but does not seem to have a lot to say unless pushed. TBH, you reminded me that he was VC Paul! Whether or not he remains in a VC or Co Capt role next year remains to be seen, but whether that happens or not I think BB will expect him, along with others, to strongly support the capt and not let anyone push him around, as well as to assist actively in the on field and off field development of the younger guys. IMO this will be vital to us becoming more competitive.