Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge - Carlton v Hawthorn @ Aurora Stadium (Read 82571 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge - Carlton v Hawthorn @ Aurora Stadium

Reply #60
They are the standard LP... They have senior players who also need to play Pre-season and we need to be tougher, harder and smarter.

I don't see the argument. You want them to play 0 premiership players? i'm not sure they would field a side.

We have to get better and worry about our own backyard.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #61
They are the standard LP... They have senior players who also need to play Pre-season and we need to be tougher, harder and smarter.

I don't see the argument. You want them to play 0 premiership players? i'm not sure they would field a side.

We have to get better and worry about our own backyard.

That is the point, we hear talk that these kids are going to take some time, yet it looks like we are lining them up against the beAst in their first ever game! All I can think of is if it is a deliberate test to see if the kids are any good, and that worries me about our selection process. These kids will get plenty of opportunity to play against the beAst in their career, why not wait until they are a little more seasoned!

I want some return on investment long term!

I don't see how allowing the likes of Hodge or Lewis to "Bugger our Talent" helps things! We are not talking about playing against the typical average AFL player, we are talking about lining up on the competitions A Grade Bastards who won't hesitate to send Bolton and the other defectors a message!

It comes across to me like it's another Murphy or Kreuzer situation. Perhaps it is all about membership and not so much about player development.

Anyway it's not my decision, I can only express a concern.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
The kids will be fine - Hawthorn will play at about 75% intensity.

Reply #63
That is the point, we hear talk that these kids are going to take some time, yet it looks like we are lining them up against the beAst in their first ever game! All I can think of is if it is a deliberate test to see if the kids are any good, and that worries me about our selection process. These kids will get plenty of opportunity to play against the beAst in their career, why not wait until they are a little more seasoned!

I want some return on investment long term!

I don't see how allowing the likes of Hodge or Lewis to "Bugger our Talent" helps things! We are not talking about playing against the typical average AFL player, we are talking about lining up on the competitions A Grade Bastards who won't hesitate to send Bolton and the other defectors a message!

It comes across to me like it's another Murphy or Kreuzer situation. Perhaps it is all about membership and not so much about player development.

Anyway it's not my decision, I can only express a concern.

There are only three "kids" in our squad and the extended bench and unlimited rotations will mean that they can be eased into the game.

I think it's a perfect introduction to AFL; up against the best in the business but at not quite full intensity.  With the possible exception of Silvagni, I'd like to see all of our draft picks and rookies get a few NAB games under their belts.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Korchek get a run in Tassie but I'm sure he'll get a chance soon.

EDIT: It's actually 4 first years with rookie Gallucci joining Weitering, Charlie Curnow and McKay.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #64
Here's a preview of our NAB line up by Howard Kotton.  It's a bit light on but, at this time of the year, I'll take anything:

What’s new: Brendon Bolton has brought a fresh outlook, preaching a unified approach. The Blues are much fitter than they were at this stage last season. There are 15 new players on the list and the coach says the NAB Challenge is an ideal opportunity to build chemistry and work on the game-plan.

Bolters: Bolton has been particularly impressed with Jacob Weitering and Charlie Curnow and they are likely to play first-up. Weitering has slotted in well and will fill a role in defence and Curnow can play in the midfield or up forward. Ruckmen Andrew Phillips and Daniel Gorringe may be given game time.

Who’s back: Dale Thomas, whose 2015 season was ruined by a shoulder injury, has enjoyed a solid pre-season. Bryce Gibbs and Andrew Walker, who were also curtailed by injury, are moving well on the track and ready to atone for last year.

Wildcard: Back in the leadership group, swingman Walker is likely to return to attack, where he led the goalkicking in 2011.

Missing: Skipper Marc Murphy is on track for the premiership season opener against Richmond after follow-up surgery to repair his left shoulder. He has been named in the squad to meet Hawthorn but won't play. Lachie Plowman (hip) and Dennis Armfield (arm) are also missing.

Fantasy watch: Former Crow Matthew Wright (FWD/MID, $309.000) averaged a solid 80.3 in Fantasy in 2014 and is likely to play plenty of midfield minutes as the Blues add backbone to their young list.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #65

yeah cant see the senior guys wanting to tear a pec or smash a shoulder just for NAB glory.

Reply #66

Agree..I'd go about 50%, they will pacing themselves and couldnt care less about the result IMO, their squad has a lot of kids in it too and
I dont think we have to much to fear physically at this time of the year....I'd be more worried playing scrubbers like Brisbane with numpties like Robbo trying to be over zealous and someone
like Cripps getting injured...

Reply #67
yeah cant see the senior guys wanting to tear a pec or smash a shoulder just for NAB glory.

It has nothing to do with NAB Cup and that the whole point, it's about stamping authority on an opponent for the future, it's called intimidation!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
I reckon the Hawks will go hard but I don't know what the fudge LP is banging on about when it comes to kids.

It's 3 well developed young players with unlimited rotations and 25 people on the bench.

We're not playing 10 kids, the three that are playing are surrounded by mature bodies.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #69
Hawks have named a surprisingly strong team... from their best team they've probably only left out 6:
(although squad will be trimmed by 3)

Roughead
Burgoyne
Frawley
Gunston
Shiels
Rioli

Their squad looks a lot thinner with the retirements and Roughead injury. Particularly in the big man dept. An injury to Gunston at this point could derail their season.

A Shoenmakers / Fitzpatrick / Ceglar forward line doesn't quite have the same ring as Roughead / Franklin / Gunston.

Reply #70
You could argue - with no Rioli and Roughhead - that their F50 line up is worse than ours!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #71
You could argue - with no Rioli and Roughhead - that their F50 line up is worse than ours!

No Frawley on top of Lake's retirement makes them very vulnerable down back.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #72
No Frawley on top of Lake's retirement makes them very vulnerable down back.

Moreover, Gibson only stands 189cm.

Crippa 5cm taller. Levi 10cm taller + 10kg!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #73
How they got to the end of last year with ZERO injuries I will never understand. Half their team pushing 30!

Reply #74
We're not playing 10 kids, the three that are playing are surrounded by mature bodies.

The very same mature bodies that looked after Judd and Murphy over the last few years! ;)
The Force Awakens!