Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge - Carlton v Hawthorn @ Aurora Stadium (Read 82591 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge - Carlton v Hawthorn @ Aurora Stadium

Reply #165
Good to see us play again, I was looking forward to the new look Blues.
Some positives:
Jamison, Kreuzer and Thomas all look very fit which is very good to see at this time of year.
I like Kerridge a lot, he handles the ball cleanly and absolutely busts a gut, his third and fourth efforts in the last few minutes when the game was lost were outstanding.
Our better players all look to be going OK but we are desperately short of a small forward or two and our key positions remain weak.
Sadly the longer the game went the more ragged our skills became, once again our skills will be our achilles heel.
At least we seem to be a cohesive unit but I can't see us finishing out of the bottom four on tonight's showing, surely the Liam Jones experiment is over.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #166
Kerridge and Wright from the Crows showed they will play plenty of senior footy, Nick Graham I thought was handy and made some good tackles.
Not much system up forward but I guess with plenty of rotations and both teams crowding the backlines it was to be expected..
Hawks cleaner with the footy and kicking by foot better was probably the difference, they did just enough to win and I guess thats how i thought it would go...

re: Jones....as Jack Dyer used to say he gets where the ball aint too much and flys for marks that he has no hope of taking......plenty of athletic ability but zero nous...

Major problem for us will be kicking goals with only Casboult looking like he can take a mark down forward...

I liked Jones' tackling but he never really looked like taking a mark.  What happened to Gorringe?

I reckon Bolton has a lot to work with but there's also a lot of work to do.  At worst we'll manage 6-8 wins if we can consistently play as we did in the first half.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #167
Done and dusted, yet we were not embarrassed. But our forward issues appear significant.

jones, Curnow x2 and Casboult all dropped easy marks in the last.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #168
Apart from F50 I thought we did show more purpose and that we are trying to play to a plan which reflected in the boys knowing what options were available and keeping the flow going. Big contrast IMO to the dithering and uncertainty of last year. We are without doubt still a bit rough around the edges skill-wise and this shows up against a well-oiled machine like the Hawks. We must persist and I think things will get better - we showed good spirit, contested very well and kept on fighting it out.

Kerridge definitely looks like he'll be valuable for us and Boeky showed more glimpses of what he might become, just to mention a couple. Graham looks handy too, as I expected.

Early days but we must improve our F50 play especially, that's where we are still falling down, failing to score and turning the ball over. 

We're pretty much where I was expecting to be tbh.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #169
Liam Jones will only play a game this year if the bubonic plague spreads through the club. Yeah, laid two gold tackles, but fug me his attempts at marks were unspeakably bad.

Thought Thomas was great.  Loved Bolts marking and attack on the ball.  Kerridge is a great get, even if his disposal is a bit rubbish at times.  Doherty was good.  Jamison was good. Rowe had moments - good and bad.  White does nothing for me.  Nicky Graham needs to play round one.  So does Wright who may not be a superstar but has footy smarts.

Overall quite happy.  Our delivery killed us - as it did last year - but it was a nice to see a system of attack and ball use that didn't involve hugging the boundary or stopping for ten minutes to think who to give the ball too.  My concern is that we will run like heck in the first half, miss opportunities and then tire out only to be overrun in the second half.

Still, I can see what Bolton is doing and at the moment I'm happy.

Reply #170
Very small ground / windy day type of game. Cripps would have loved it.

Wright was excellent.

Would not trade Kerridge back for Menzel in a million years. How did Adelaide give him up? He played the game Gibbs should have.

Gibbs....

So depressing yet again watching him just go through the motions against a serious opponent. Nice in patches but could not impact the game. The problem is when he's just ok - his opponent in Lewis/Mitchell is cutting us up. He needs to have the equivalent impact the other way.

He should be in his prime leading the team - pushing for Brownlow medals. Instead he's still found wanting against the better teams.

Lamb looked really good but then vanished.

Liam Jones....

I know it's a soft target and it's already been said but HOLY - freeking - MOLY this guy is bad. Just a collection of particles that has no business being anywhere near a football ground. Wouldn't get a kick for Keilor seconds.

Phillips was sloppy and missed a lot of opportunities. Gorringe - did he get injured?

Graham / Tutt / Everitt / Boekhorst were all good but very hard to get carried away.

Reply #171
At worst we'll manage 6-8 wins if we can consistently play as we did in the first half.

If we win 8 games I'll be over the moon, I'm more confident of a few wins since The Bumblers imploded but we'll struggle to beat anyone else.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #172
Add Cripps, Walker, Murphy, Weitering and Buckley back in and we'll be a lot better than that.

So much depends on Plowman, Jaksch, Sumner, Gorringe, Lamb, Whiley, Boekhorst, Tutt, Graham, etc. producing the sort of season that Cripps did last year.

We need these guys to become not just solid players but elite.

If some can 8 wins will be achievable.

Reply #173
What did I take out of the game...?
The gulf in umpiring decisions. frig me the number bull decisions that always went the Dawks way was embarrassing. Tiggy touchwood stuff. Disliked umpires
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #174
Very small ground / windy day type of game.

Ground is actually the same size as the MCG, it's bigger but they bring the boundary in further.

1st quarter the boys looked sharp, the defensive set up behind the ball looked like a basketball zone, triangles every where and we were sending 2 players to the contest and tackling hard, Kerridge and Lamb doing a lot of grunt work both on and off the ball. Rowe basically played the Jason Cloe mop up game and got some easy ball thanks to the body work of others further up the field, there was a real team defensive structure, something that I've not see with Carlton before. I looked at at the coaches box, we were just in front and saw that their monitors had ABC2 on them playing Spicks & Specks.

Then the umpires basically started to ruin the game, a 50m that was barely there the free that White gave away for holding 30m out from goal he was held first and the small frees that they paid in Hawthorns favour was embarrassing. The large Carlton crowd I was in were going off their heads.  2nd & 3rd quarter the umpiring was disgraceful. Hawthorn players particularly Gibson were holding the arms of Carlton player going for the mark, if you noticed Kruezer, Jamison and Casboult all failing to get to the contest that was the reason.

Boekhursts run bounce and evade, then deliver was simply beatuiful to watch, he looked really confident out there and did some gut running both ways with no reward.

Graham does nice things but he stays off the play too much, if he's going to be a Mitchell type player then he needs to get around the ball more rather than try and make space.

Kerrdige is a hard man, sure his disposal is not silver service but he busts his ass our there to the point of exhaustion.

Lamb was another who surprised with his forward pressure, I think he was kept off in the second half to give others a longer run.

Whiley did some nice things but gets caught too often but got first use a lot early.

Tutt still scared

Jones runs quick and straight but that's it laid a lovely tackle in the last that bought the crowd to life, but was very poor apart from that.

Phillips meh. A plodder nothing more.

Gorringe played CHF early and took his man away from space which allowed moves made by Casboult and Everitt to have a use, he still went to a dangerous spot on the field but it was far enough away from the others not to allow a third man up. When he went off teh spacing up forward was all wrong and we didn't look like kicking a score.

Daisy looked slow, although did some smart things when he had the ball.

C.Curnow had Gibson who put him into the ground when ever he could, he actually kneed his head into the ground straight in front of goal but of course the umps didn't see it (surprise) and Charlie came up bent over holding his head for the next couple of minutes.

Considering who we had out and the crap umpiring, I'm not discouraged, the effort was there there was a major change to the play and a lesser team may have been beaten by the set the players were trying to perform. Hawthorn with their team boast a starting midfield were simply a class above, but the gap didn't seem as huge as last time we played them, and yes I know it's pre season.

Reply #176
Weitering rolled an ankle during the week. Right decision not to risk him.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #177
What did I take out of the game...?
The gulf in umpiring decisions. frig me the number bull decisions that always went the Dawks way was embarrassing. Tiggy touchwood stuff. Disliked umpires

Absolutely agree - umpires were officious turds who overwhelmingly favoured the Hawks (don't know theraw numbers). Any frees we got seemed to be mainly in "safe" positions for the Hawk, as opposed to those given against us. Still, onward and upward boys!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #178
Umpiring hurt us. I don't reckon the result would have differed but it certainly was costly.
Jones was terrible. Aggressive but terrible. I thought Thomas looked alright, except at one point choosing to try and knock Mitchell out of a contest instead of getting the ball himself which cost us a goal.
Cas was pretty good. Dropped a few and also looked for a lot of short passes. We ha balled a lot. Maybe too much and still too many bombs into F50. But I like the fast style of play. Everyone seemed to know where they were supposed to be. I think all in all it was a good night for us.

Where I was sitting Murph, Weitering and McKay were about 6 seats away. Murph was taking pics with fans ALL game. The young guys were signing gear and getting in pics too.
Two rows in front of them were Trigg, LoGiudice and SOS. Lots of fans were speaking with The Pres in the breaks. He seemed very receptive. Thanking fans for their support and and also thanking the for coming to chat with him. I also liked that he was asking their names.
I also must point out that the Carlton cheers were much louder than the Hawks. Tassie Hawks my ar5e!!

Reply #179
Absolutely agree - umpires were officious turds who overwhelmingly favoured the Hawks (don't know theraw numbers). Any frees we got seemed to be mainly in "safe" positions for the Hawk, as opposed to those given against us. Still, onward and upward boys!

Agreed - that whole period during the 2nd and 3rd quarter - what was going on there? They must have had 10 in a row.

Why is it always like that against Hawthorn? They seem to never cop a bad decision against them.

They got at least 4 goals from bullsheet decisions - us none.