Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge - Carlton v Hawthorn @ Aurora Stadium (Read 82595 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge - Carlton v Hawthorn @ Aurora Stadium

Reply #271
Softest bloke in the side

You can add lazy too.. but he kicks straight and can convert which makes him a rarity at our club and as we will struggle to kicks goals he will continue to get games....

Reply #272
I think Bolton's comments in the presser are relevant here too.  He spoke of Casboult as an elite talent..................

He's kidding surely.
Levi is a very good mark, and so was Brad Fisher.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #275
And let's not forget him hearing the footsteps in the first quarter!

Another bloke that stood out as not being up to it was Simon White. Just cannot move the ball on quickly at all, must go back and take his full amount of time and bomb along the boundary, no wonder he looked okay under Mick, will be exposed this year.
Now Carrots, we all know you've had White in the cross hairs for a while now, thought you might have cut him a little slack after the first NAB Challenge game? ;) 8)

Reply #276
Interesting to hear Hodge say that he liked what he saw from Carlton. "They all seemed to be on the same page with the game plan which will be good news for some of my Carlton supporter mates."
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #277
Now Carrots, we all know you've had White in the cross hairs for a while now, thought you might have cut him a little slack after the first NAB Challenge game? ;) 8)

We're a club in a hurry. :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #278
He's kidding surely.

And your point is?  ;)

I'm sure Bolton is well aware of Casboult's strengths and weaknesses.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #279
He's kidding surely.

He is an elite contested mark, a dying breed in the game. What he can do you can turn into gold.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #280
He is an elite contested mark, a dying breed in the game. What he can do you can turn into gold.

You can...but will it ever happen?
He has the skills and his kicking has improved.
He promises a lot...has for a while... but we really need him to take that next step.

Reply #281
Biggest positive for me was a trait of the better teams that has been missing from the Blues for many years - namely, creating fierce pressure by aggressively closing on the player who is about to receive the ball instead of waiting until he gets it and then simply trying to corral him.

The players were excellent in this regard until they started to run out of legs and the difference from previous years was stark.

The fact that we no longer had soft-cocks Menzel and Yarran probably helped - they were two who rarely tried to close down an opponent until he had already gained possession and then they used to have a think about it before doing anything.

Despite some negative comments about Gibbs, I though he also showed willingness to improve in this area.

Reply #282

And he has improved every year. His accuracy last year was at a totally acceptable level for a key forward, he has a big motor and can impose himself around the ground and all this without a bona fide second or third forward to support him. What an important player he will be when Charlie and Harry start having an influence. He definitely offers far more than Brad Fisher ever did.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #283
Biggest positive for me was a trait of the better teams that has been missing from the Blues for many years - namely, creating fierce pressure by aggressively closing on the player who is about to receive the ball instead of waiting until he gets it and then simply trying to corral him.

The players were excellent in this regard until they started to run out of legs and the difference from previous years was stark.

The fact that we no longer had soft-cocks Menzel and Yarran probably helped - they were two who rarely tried to close down an opponent until he had already gained possession and then they used to have a think about it before doing anything.

Despite some negative comments about Gibbs, I though he also showed willingness to improve in this area.

That was a very noticeable change RR.  To me it was a switch from passive to active defence.  It was probably also a factor in the free kick disparity - that and some inexplicable decisions.  I imagine we won't infringe as often when active defence is second nature.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #284
You can...but will it ever happen?
He has the skills and his kicking has improved.
He promises a lot...has for a while... but we really need him to take that next step.

Yep, I think it's almost a given that he will take that step. Big men always take time and Cas was as raw as they come.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!