Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 - What do you expect from the club? (Read 45756 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 - What do you expect from the club?

Reply #135
We've added a lot of outside speed and a lot of left footers.

Garlett, Dow, O'Brien, Schumacher, Mullett added to Willo, Simmo, Harry? (who else). Is O'Shea a leftie?

Even with Doc sidelined and Gibbs goneski (hooray) there will be intense competition for spots.

But you'd expect Mullet wasn't picked up to play 2s, ditto Garlett.

Will Dow and O'Brien be ready for senior action after a (hopefully) injury free pres season.

Having a few players who can kick goals from the 50 arc inevitably disrupts the other team's defensive structures....
From foxsports:

BEST 22

B: Lachie Plowman, Liam Jones, Ciaran Byrne

HB: Caleb Marchbank, Jacob Weitering, Kade Simpson

C: Ed Curnow, Patrick Cripps, Sam Petrevski-Seton

HF: Darcy Lang, Charlie Curnow, Dale Thomas

F: Matthew Wright, Levi Casboult, Harry McKay

FOLL: Matthew Kreuzer, Marc Murphy, Matthew Kennedy

I/C: Tom Williamson, Paddy Dow, Jack Silvagni, Zac Fisher

EMG: Jarrod Pickett, Sam Rowe, Jed Lamb

OTHERS: David Cuningham, Tom De Koning, Jarrod Garlett, Nick Graham, Patrick Kerr, Sam Kerridge, Matthew Lobbe, Harrison Macreadie, Aaron Mullett, Lochie O’Brien, Cam O’Shea, Andrew Phillips, Cam Polson, Angus Schumacher

I really think Simmo and Daisy will struggle to retain a top 22 berth.

I'd have Garlett ahead of Daisy by a country mile personally.

Simmo might be safer given Doc's injury and the need for experience.....expect O'Brien, Mullett, Pickett, Cuners, Macreadie and O'She to be pushing very hard for starting berths.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #136
Interesting selection Flyboy, I'm not sure Byrne is such a certainty but he is getting a run in a lot of supporters teams.

For me Liam Jones mobility negates the need for Byrne, I can see Rowe, Jones and Weitering in the one defense with Ploughman, Marchbank and someone like Garlett, Macreadie or Williamson providing run and ball use in the remaining spot.

Wright and Daisy might be under the pump along with Simmo, but their footy smarts and experience make up for what they lack so it's not a black and white issue. Going back a lot of fans bemoaned McLean getting a game, it will be no different with the current group of oldies.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #137
I think that the club will persevere with the list rebuild at least for 2018 and possibly beyond. Our pursuit of youthful talent demonstrates that, together with the attempts to bolster the more senior ranks somewhat without selling the farm at this stage The loss of both Gibbs and Docherty will be challenging, although we did manage to hold on to Gibbs for 2017, but I'm looking forward to the emerging talent rising to fill those gaps, together with new recruits such as Mullet, Lang and Garlett.

The 2018 draft and trade periods will likely put the main finishing touches to the rebuild as such and we may even add a marquee player or even two? We are following a good strategy IMO, bearing in mind our recent dire predicament, and I'd be very very surprised if any faction in the club gets any opportunity to pull the pin on it for at least the next two years. By which time I believe the benefits will have become obvious! (puts head on block).

New look list needs a new captain to steer the new direction......2019 I would change the leadership group and start with a new captain.
2018 is meant to be  a strong draft...IMO its the last one we should be going hard on young kids and we should be starting to get some A grade readymade talent through the door...problem with that of course is we need to win more games to sell the club as finals bound and I think with Gibbs and Docherty missing thats going to be the hard bit .
Kennedy, Lang and Lobbe were fringe players at their previous clubs..Mullet was dumped for being soft....Garlett is a unknown quantity for several reasons...not to say these players wont grab their opportunity and be good players for us but at the moment improvement and coverage for the loss of Gibbs and Docherty is very speculative and their isnt one game on the fixture I would back us in with a concrete guarantee we would win. 2018 is a holding year IMO, if we win more games its a bonus and the likes of Lynch, Patton might want to come our way but I'd temper that with common sense that losing your best player(Docherty) for 12 months and one of your top 5 ie Gibbs isnt an easy fix with fringe players from other clubs and lightly built kids fresh from the draft.
Another injury or two to key players and we would be on the ropes...all while trying to discover a new attacking game style and integrate new kids into the senior team.. we have to hope also that some other teams go backwards at a big rate of knots and some of the others on the rise stagnate...

Reply #138
@EB1

Great observations EB. Atm we have to trust in SOS and BB et al to get it right. A key factor will be player mindsets and the club culture which, as you have pointed out, will definitely be subjected to arduous stress testing. I think for healthy development in those areas we need 8/9 wins. more if we could! I'm certainly feeling positive generally but all we can really do for now is hope, trust and wait!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #139
Interesting selection Flyboy, I'm not sure Byrne is such a certainty but he is getting a run in a lot of supporters teams.

For me Liam Jones mobility negates the need for Byrne, I can see Rowe, Jones and Weitering in the one defense with Ploughman, Marchbank and someone like Garlett, Macreadie or Williamson providing run and ball use in the remaining spot.

Wright and Daisy might be under the pump along with Simmo, but their footy smarts and experience make up for what they lack so it's not a black and white issue. Going back a lot of fans bemoaned McLean getting a game, it will be no different with the current group of oldies.

The selected 22 was from foxsports..... agree with Wright given his well defined output - goals. can't agree re Daisy. He simply doesn't get the ball enough nor influence games enough these days....

I'd like Alex S. in there too - gives a bit more hardness to the backline and can pinch hit forward too.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #140
10+ wins. 
no excuses. 
start the season raring to go rather than limping into it, and finish stronger, rather than limping out of it.  attack more.

ride the wave of youthful enthusiasm boys.  stick it up 'em.

Reply #141
Kennedy, Lang and Lobbe were fringe players at their previous clubs..Mullet was dumped for being soft....Garlett is a unknown quantity for several reasons...not to say these players wont grab their opportunity

Can't agree EB.

Kennedy - played 16 games in 2017. At age 20 in the best midfield in the comp. All but guaranteed to be an A grader.

Lang - wants to be a midfielder but after several injury setbacks in 2017 played a major role in Geelong's semi final win over the Swans. in their best and 4th highest disposal winner.

Lobbe - we'll see but clearly was capable of being a bloody good #1 ruck.

Garlett - he'll be in our top ten come season's end.

Mullett - who knows, his best looks good....hard to believe he's "soft".
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #142
..Mullet was dumped for being soft....

Was Mullet dumped for being soft?

His highlights don't seem to suggest that, at least not relative to some of our players.

But he certainly wasn't the mongrel player like Ziebell that Ol' Pudding Face likes.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #143
I'd like Alex S. in there too - gives a bit more hardness to the backline and can pinch hit forward too.

Interesting we've left ACoS a rookie though, maybe that is a tell.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #144
The harsh reality is that in some respects the SOS drafting program has been an exercise in compromise. In the past two seasons we went after and failed to get: Tomlinson, Kelly, Rockliff, Smith, Lynch, Saad and maybe another 'name' or two... We were told that in 2017 we would attract and secure a marquee player - didn't happen. None of the blokes we settled on were tried and true winners like the before mentioned. So SOS can hardly say to BB that he's given him A graders to work with... he's given him potential and maybe's. Fingers crossed for 2018.

Yeah that is an interesting post Baggers actually.  You are right- in terms of attracting good players to the club, with the exception of Marchbank, I don't think he has delivered really.  But what he has done is picked a few rippers in the draft, and possibly a few recycles with a big upside.  That was better than the last bunch of buffoons led by Rogers/Hughes.   The issue we have is when you are excrement, no one wants to come to you.  This will not change next year either if we are uncompetitive.  We must win at least 8-10 games and show stars that we are a place that can make them into better footballers.  It is not all about cash.  Players these days have enough of that.

I think SOS has done an okay job so far, but this draft has me raising my eyebrows a bit.  I really think we should have taken UDL at pick 3, though Dow may be a great player for us I will concede.  Pick 10 looks questionable, and I don't really think taking a ruck at pick 30 is a great idea, given there were other good mids available at that time.  Again, I could be proven wrong, and I hope i am.  Of the ones SOS has drafted, Charlie looks like a potential superstar, Seton is a gun in the making, and I think the 'project picks' - Pickett and Garlett could be very useful for us.    Kennedy should be handy, Plowman is very consistent, and SOSOS has a big upside.  Harry too, and Cunningham seems ok.  Fisher and Williamson great late picks, and I rate Macreadie too.  So not bad from SOS.  But this year and next will be the big tester.   The fact remains, we have still balked at recruiting forwards- this could well be our biggest issue.  It would be interesting to see how a true gun FF and small forward would change our win-loss ratio.  Would it change it immediately?  I think it might.

Reply #145
Haters gonna hate
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #146
Can't agree EB.

Kennedy - played 16 games in 2017. At age 20 in the best midfield in the comp. All but guaranteed to be an A grader....Very good Blue Collar worker but not silky like Gibbs..

Lang - wants to be a midfielder but after several injury setbacks in 2017 played a major role in Geelong's semi final win over the Swans. in their best and 4th highest disposal winner...unproven midfielder

Lobbe - we'll see but clearly was capable of being a bloody good #1 ruck....tap ruckman only, no forward impact

Garlett - he'll be in our top ten come season's end.........agree has talent and I like his selection but unproven over the journey..
[/color]
Mullett - who knows, his best looks good....hard to believe he's "soft"......cut from a weak Nth small defensive unit and working class midfield due to poor contested work, replaced by Marley Williams who got booted by Collingwood....

They can all improve and some will but I'm not prepared to presume they will have a major impact in 2018.....
Kennedy will be a good player and gives me the most confidence.....

Reply #148
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-30/adelaides-2018-list-is-one-for-the-ages

We have the 5th youngest list in the comp.

Not much in it though when you consider we have ACoS as a rookie, Simmo going strong, and Murphy, Daisy and Rowe entering their 30s. Lobbe, Kreuzer, Wright, Curnow and Casboult in their late 20s.

Not offsetting the averages but highlighting their somewhat deceptiveness. Liam Jones is like a 3rd year player in his new role after years in the wilderness.

Knock off Simmo and ACoS from the averages for draftees and you take more than 150 days off our average, we become the 2nd youngest.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #149
Not much in it thought when you consider we have ACoS as a rookie, Simmo going strong, and Murphy, Daisy and Rowe entering their 30s. Lobbe, Kreuzer, Wright, Curnow and Casboult in their late 20s.

Not offsetting the averages but highlighting their somewhat deceptiveness. Liam Jones is like a 3rd year player in his new role after years in the wilderness.

Knock off Simmo and ACoS from the averages for draftees and you take more than 150 days off our average, we become the 2nd youngest.

Yes, I guess an age bracket breakdown would be better.