Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 - What do you expect from the club? (Read 45756 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 - What do you expect from the club?

Reply #150
Yes, I guess an age bracket breakdown would be better.

I was sort of trying to make the point, ACoS and Simmo are no certainty to get a regular run in 2018, and that would have a massive impact on our relative on-field experience! Rowe is injured, take away his age from the averages and we are the youngest in the league, Docherty is injured further lower our average age. Phillips is injured, again that lowers it a bit more. If any of the other old bodies get an injury we become significantly younger on field than any other list.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #151
Bugger it...22-0!

Reply #152
Bugger it...22-0!

Well, I suppose it is like those other stats just a relative measure, in this case potentially of experience and durability.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #153
I was sort of trying to make the point, ACoS and Simmo are no certainty to get a regular run in 2018, and that would have a massive impact on our relative on-field experience! Rowe is injured, take away his age from the averages and we are the youngest in the league, Docherty is injured further lower our average age. Phillips is injured, again that lowers it a bit more. If any of the other old bodies get an injury we become significantly younger on field than any other list.

I get all that. We also lost Gibbs, and brought in younger players like Kennedy, Lang and Mullet.

My personal opinion is that Simmo looked shaky last season and should have retired. With Doc injured, and a mostly young defense, I think he'll play a lot of senior footy.

Reply #154
Code: [Select]
 In the past two seasons we went after and failed to get: Tomlinson, Kelly, Rockliff, Smith, Lynch, Saad and maybe another 'name' or two... 

Very simplistic analysis.

Tomlinson we almost got. deal didn't get done at the 11th hour. he stayed put. Ditto Kelly (and 2020 looms  ;) ).

Marchy >> Tomlinson.

Rockliff - meh, wanted massive dollars and is clearly a highly divisive individual. Not a good fit for our young group.

Smith - didn't he fail a medical? Small forward, is he any better than Lang - very unproven.

Saad - meh, one half decent season. Prefer Garlett every day of the week. More skills, more tricks, far more versatile.

Lynch - who knows...nothing was ever going to happen by now in any event?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #155
Rockliff - meh, wanted massive dollars and is clearly a highly divisive individual. Not a good fit for our young group.
Agree about the dollars, he might have delivered some on-field durability and experience, but not wanted at that price.

Saad - meh, one half decent season. Prefer Garlett every day of the week. More skills, more tricks, far more versatile.
Agreed, Saad looks one dimensional compared to some of our pick-ups.

My sources from his home town tell me he's very happy to stay at GC now the coaching situation is resolved. It's funny how back during the season homesickness was an issue, change the coach and things are again rosey. But I know two Melbourne clubs who will go hard at him, and they both have home town locals on the board.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #156
Code: [Select]
 In the past two seasons we went after and failed to get: Tomlinson, Kelly, Rockliff, Smith, Lynch, Saad and maybe another 'name' or two... 

Very simplistic analysis.

Tomlinson we almost got. deal didn't get done at the 11th hour. he stayed put. Ditto Kelly (and 2020 looms  ;) ).

Marchy >> Tomlinson.

Smith - didn't he fail a medical? Small forward, is he any better than Lang - very unproven.

...and Hopper...

It wasn't an analysis it was a statement of facts. Port went after Rockcliff and got him, cheats.com.au went after Smith and Saad and got them, GWS upped the anti and Kelly, Tomlinson and Hopper stayed. We failed to get people we went after. It's not a criticism, though it may sound that way, it is simply a statement of facts. Of course there are reasons, excuses, justifications, rationalisations and so on, but highly successful organisations get what they want, mostly. Look at the highly successful clubs in recent history (Dawks, Fluffy Ducks etc), they get their man... no matter what. Like it or not, we're a bottom club with potential going through enormous change.

HOWEVER, our time will come. We're clearly not a destination club at present and no matter how good SOS is, the lure of going to a club that plays finals is much stronger than being part of a rebuild... It won't take too long, I believe, before we are once again where we should be - playing finals regularly and maybe, just maybe, a few blokes who declined our advances may soon regret it.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #157
You're missing the point.

We certainly could have got Smith and Rockliff if we had paid significant overs.... the GWS blokes that chose to stay, for the moment, well no one else snared them either, did they?

Stringer, Smith and Saad are hardly world beaters.

Bit like the blokes that Port picked up - lots of meh, maybe, no thanks imo.

Garlett, Lang and Kennedy are a better trio any day.

And although obviously too early to call re the recent draftees but name a Club that has done better thsn the Blues in the last 3 national drafts?

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #158
We've added a lot of outside speed and a lot of left footers.

Garlett, Dow, O'Brien, Schumacher, Mullett added to Willo, Simmo, Harry? (who else). Is O'Shea a leftie?

Even with Doc sidelined and Gibbs goneski (hooray) there will be intense competition for spots.

But you'd expect Mullet wasn't picked up to play 2s, ditto Garlett.

Will Dow and O'Brien be ready for senior action after a (hopefully) injury free pres season.

Having a few players who can kick goals from the 50 arc inevitably disrupts the other team's defensive structures....
From foxsports:

BEST 22

B: Lachie Plowman, Liam Jones, Ciaran Byrne

HB: Caleb Marchbank, Jacob Weitering, Kade Simpson

C: Ed Curnow, Patrick Cripps, Sam Petrevski-Seton

HF: Darcy Lang, Charlie Curnow, Dale Thomas

F: Matthew Wright, Levi Casboult, Harry McKay

FOLL: Matthew Kreuzer, Marc Murphy, Matthew Kennedy

I/C: Tom Williamson, Paddy Dow, Jack Silvagni, Zac Fisher

EMG: Jarrod Pickett, Sam Rowe, Jed Lamb

OTHERS: David Cuningham, Tom De Koning, Jarrod Garlett, Nick Graham, Patrick Kerr, Sam Kerridge, Matthew Lobbe, Harrison Macreadie, Aaron Mullett, Lochie O’Brien, Cam O’Shea, Andrew Phillips, Cam Polson, Angus Schumacher

I really think Simmo and Daisy will struggle to retain a top 22 berth.

I'd have Garlett ahead of Daisy by a country mile personally.

Simmo might be safer given Doc's injury and the need for experience.....expect O'Brien, Mullett, Pickett, Cuners, Macreadie and O'She to be pushing very hard for starting berths.

And little Zac. Sammo of course is ambidextrous, or whatever you call the foot version  ::)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #159

We certainly could have got Smith and Rockliff if we had paid significant overs.... the GWS blokes that chose to stay, for the moment, well no one else snared them either, did they?

And although obviously too early to call re the recent draftees but name a Club that has done better thsn the Blues in the last 3 national drafts?

Tend to see it your way FB. No one said this rebuild was going to be quick and easy! We'll win with some and maybe not with others - just think, this time last year Liam Jones was a write off in most minds.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #160
My sources from his home town tell me he's very happy to stay at GC now the coaching situation is resolved. It's funny how back during the season homesickness was an issue, change the coach and things are again rosey. But I know two Melbourne clubs who will go hard at him, and they both have home town locals on the board.

His recent presser was classic "I'm out of here at the end of the season!" But you never know until the deal is done.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #161
And little Zac. Sammo of course is ambidextrous, or whatever you call the foot version  ::)

I didn't know Dow was a left footer - he seems a right foot player from what I have seen. Lochie O'Brien is heavily left footed, not sure about the others - actually De Koning is a lefty as well.

Reply #162

I tend to agree FB and I like that the club won't throw the bank at blokes who aren't worth it.  Rockliff sounded like a good mature replacement for Gibbs but he's no world beater and Kennedy is a better bet for many reasons.

Smith? Wouldn't have made much difference ... except to our bank balance!  Saad is an ordinary player and Stringer could be good, or a disaster.  Did we really have an interest in Stringer or was it his manager trying to drive up his price?

Silvagni is really focused on good character when deciding who he wants and I'm not sure that greed is one of character attributes he's looking for  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #163
I still believe we'll either get Wines in 2019 or Kelly the following year.

That in itself, should be enough to entice a Tom Lynch but my question is if Harry and/or Kerr come on in 2018 (with Da King and Ben S as raw KPP types) is he going to be worth the massive $?

Finals, then 4 in a row!