Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 63125 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #180
We may need to get used to it. And as a long time carlton supporter it kills me to say that.

I was mentally exhausted after attending yesterday's game and it left me with zero expectations, except bad ones, for this year. I can't see the point of wasting any further time in analysing such a steaming pile of excrement. It fell below the threshold worthy of that imo. A long year ahead of us.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #181
We may need to get used to it. And as a long time carlton supporter it kills me to say that.
As a long time Carlton supporter Barbs, I am used to it.
We are just making up numbers in an 18 team competition.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #182
The membership department must be tearing their hair out. There were massive queues outside the membership tent yesterday and a win would have seen the momentum push even further vs Collingwood. 

Reply #183
Mark Porter would have been a positive!
Ill see you a Mark Porter and raise you an Adrian Deluca.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #184

"When big men play well, others follow" Bolton's own words, and yet he played Levi as our ruck! I'm betting it may never happen again!
I'm pinning my hopes on the fact that BB and the MC didn't pick a ruckman to cover Kruze because they didn't have one. That is, Lobbe, Phillips and anyone else around the 200cm were not available and H would get slaughtered (literally) Please tell me that's the case. Its the only thing that will get me through the week. We look like we cant beat an egg at the moment, but we are playing the Filth and anything can happen. I'm no medico but I would doubt Kruze will play this week or any other week for while. He looked shot rnd 1, groins don't heal in a week or two.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #185
Is setanta still playing local leagues? Maybe he could play ruck and dabble in the forward line.

Reply #186
Byrne butchers the footy at times when he panics, SPS won the ball ok but undercooks the footy leaving his teammates picking up half volleys, Murphy's disposal was horrific and more likely to hit a low flying plane than another player.
Thomas does use the ball ok but at his age doesnt get enough of it and Weitering these days is a shadow of the player he was in his first year when he did use the ball well, he is now slow timid and often under pressure when he kicks the ball... an example was when forward he had open space and could run further but didnt have the confidence and kicked the ball too early when he could have been more creative...

- Byrne is a poor replacement for Docherty. He will fly the flag, but he struggles to have a positive effect on the game.
- SPS is getting a little hard done by. Yes, some passes fell short yesterday, but if you are going to miss, miss short. A few of his teammates had the opposite problem and booted it over our heads to an uncontested opposition mark. SPS, is growing into the player we hope, give him a break.
- Murphy didn't have a great game, but when a lot of his game nowadays is getting the ball on the outside, and we don't have a ruckman playing, and you don't have a forward to kick too, he did ok.
- Thomas tries his guts out every game. Without fail he will get a big smother or tap on or some insignificant 1%er that inspires the team. Without his effort, i'd hate to think what the scoreline looks like each week.
- Weitering seems to be hot topic at the moment. I was the one who thrust him into the spotlight for all the 'wrong reasons', that have turned out to be true. So much so that they are even worse than i suggested was possible. He just needs to be dropped. Simple. I don't care if the opposition have 7 key forwards, you can't play him in this form at the moment. At this rate, he might match Tom Mitchells R1 disposal efforts by the time the season is over.

Reply #187
As a long time Carlton supporter Barbs, I am used to it.
We are just making up numbers in an 18 team competition.
That you have had to become used to it really saddens me.

How I miss the days of watching Carlton taking the field and being full of hope that they would crush the opposition with amazing displays of skills, strength and determination. In the past when I yelled at the tv it was because Kouta just took a huge mark, Rhys Jones was picking a fight (and winning) or Sticks was kicking goals with the ugliest kicks you'd ever see. I used to have a few beers to celebrate a great win which included grand finals. Yesterday I spent most of the match yelling at the tv like it would somehow encourage players to run harder (or at all), to stop kicking long to congested areas, to display basic skills most VFL players can muster or simply revert back to tactics like good old fashioned manning up instead of guarding a zone or whatever we call it now. Now its like I have to work through a 6 pack just make being a supporter for 3 hours bearable.

Next week has me really worried. On current form Collingwood are going to run out big winners and that must still kill any true blue-blooded Carlton.

I foresee us going into our defensive shells again and still losing. I don't know whether its Bolton's game plan to always have numbers back when we have the ball and then have everyone converge down the line instead of spreading or if the players are just not following instructions and running off hard enough. But it has to stop.

I'll offer my 2 cents (which is typically what my opinions are worth) on player selections - drop O'Shea, Mullet, Polson and maybe Lamb. Given the pies also don't play a tall forward line this might be the time to let Weiters have a development spell in the VFL too. Ins - Kreuzer (hopefully), Silvagni, Kerridge, Kennedy and Mckay. Yes I'd bring Mckay and Kreuzer. Charlie's mobility and run affords us the luxury of playing another 2 tall forwards and its necessary to stretch the opposition defence that way because neither Casboult or Mckay are enough on their own. If Special K doesn't come up I'd probably bring in Kerr or TDK too. If Byrne is out with an injury I'd also bring in Graham and let Garlett do the half back running.

I never thought I'd advocate for Kerridge and Graham to come in, but its probably the best option we have right now. I'm all for developing the young players, but having some stronger bodies and experience to be competitive against Collingwood is a priority. (sadly, we would still be running out with a young inexperienced team)

Reply #188
You could maybe bring in Graham or Kerridge but definitely not both. Too similar / slow / average kicks.

Hopefully Kennedy and Kreuzer are back and settles the team down a bit.

Dow might have a spell.

Reply #189
You could maybe bring in Graham or Kerridge but definitely not both. Too similar / slow / average kicks.

Hopefully Kennedy and Kreuzer are back and settles the team down a bit.

Dow might have a spell.
Not ideal, but better than Polson, O'Shea and Mullet.

Its also worrying that we're pinning our hopes on Kennedy - he turns 21 this week and has only 20 games under his belt (including about 20 minutes with us). I do think he'll work out but he is still developing.

Reply #190
Is that the bloke we persist with as our KPF because he's useful as a 2nd ruck?

Is that some cruel joke from the club to match up with the "Claim your Shame" ads they run on the scoreboard, part of the comedians campaign maybe?

I've always maintained that Casboult should not be considered a 2nd ruck as his stats are average in the ruck. It also suits Kreuzer better to ruck the majority of the game.

I've also been very vocal in the need to find someone better than Casboult up forward as he simply cannot be relied upon.

So baring that in mind, i don't attribute the loss to Casboult and think he should get an exemption for being played out of position.

Instead, i take aim at 2 places.
1. Stephen Silvagni...
Many people have pointed out how thin we are in ruck stocks and thought the recruitement of at least a couple of ruckmen was a given. We got 1 and 1 only. Taking our total up to 3, with 2 of them being injury prone.
So what happens in R1, we lose our #1 ruckman, our #2 ruckman has also been injured. Our #3 has been injured also. Our #4??? Well that would be our #1 key forward as well...who incidently isn't good enough for that role either.

2. Brendan Bolton...
Despite being hamstrung somewhat by the chess pieces handed to him by SOS, he still manages to make matters worse by picking the wrong ones on game day....and playing the ones he has in wrong positions. I would love for him to come out and explain the 'logic' he has used in picking the team so far as it is either...
a) Too smart for any of us to work out
b) As inept as we suggest it is.

Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and suggest it is 'a'. We just got thumped by a nothing team, so perhaps its too smart for the players to work out too......or most likely, its simply not option 'a' at all.

Yes, some players played bad and some players played good, but all of them were trying to push $**t up hill because of who else they ran out on the ground with.

Reply #191
Most teams have a Murphy type player.

None of them are made captain.

I don't think they do. At least, not in the senior side. They might have them as semi-permanent VFL players who get called up when their possession stats demand it or when others get injured, but are then just as quickly demoted when their shortcomings are exposed in the big league.

That's the difference between Carlton and the rest.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #192
Not an easy result to swallow given the hype around our pre-season form. We will know more in 6-8 weeks time assuming we are able to get our better players on the park. I still expect some much improved performances from this group over the coming weeks and hope yesterday was an aberration, time will tell.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #193
Honey moon period over. Disgusting to think these guys are professionals and I send my money to them and they cant even execute basic skills, dopping sitters, cant hit a handball, cant watch your man for more than 30 secs without falling asleep.

Weitering seriously starting to rub me the wrong way, playing like a privileged kid born with some size, no eye of the tiger whatsoever. Look at how he reacted after his hit from an 18 year old and Cripps' reaction after being cleaned up by May. Too many VFL hacks etc. Bolton went speed banking on heavy legs from Gold Coast and got screwed. Bad day but feels like there will be many more this season, very deflating after last weeks promise.

Reply #194
We are a long way off and that's an understatement of some magnitude.  I'm not into list or coach bashing, but gee, I'm tempted