Skip to main content
Topic: 2015 - Is This It For Matthew Watson ?? (Read 16959 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2015 - Is This It For Matthew Watson ??

Reply #15
I don't get the fev <-> watto comparisons. Apart from the girth of their heads that is where the similarities start and end.

I would love him to make it but just don't see a position for him....happy to be proven wrong

I he can earn a spot in the FWD line this year it will be a miracle.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #16
Clearly up against it, but might survive simply because we have so few other options.  By my reckoning we are one key forward short, and Jamison and Rowe are not getting any younger.  He would want to have a decent 2015, because 2016 will be make or break.

Mind you, we cant afford to wait so long for players to come on.  Say he does finally sort it all out and become a good key position player, free agency is starting to come into the equation, and another club can simply grab him for more than we are willing to pay and away he goes.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #17
i  think watson has to line at FF rd1 give him first opportunity and let our new guys work hard to prove why they should be chosen.

Dont think they gave Jones a 3 year deal to have Watson start ahead of him and I reckon its Watson who probably has to prove his worth and force his way in.
Of course if the NB's are crape again like they were last season then its going to be hard for Watson to get decent supply and enough opportunities...and he may be forced down back with Giles looking out for an extend period and only White down back as a taller defender

I'd like to see him get a decent go and be fully tested but I think unless we get a lot of injuries that things might work against him......Jones and Jaksch arriving might have him talking to other clubs sooner than later IMO...

Reply #18
Watson will battle with Jones for the last spot. If he plays like he did last game and his last few up forward for the NBs then he'll play.

Reply #19
Watson will battle with Jones for the last spot. If he plays like he did last game and his last few up forward for the NBs then he'll play.

I agree, we shouldn't write him off just yet. He showed promise as a fwd in that last game so Jones better be on his game every week.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20

I agree, we shouldn't write him off just yet. He showed promise as a fwd in that last game so Jones better be on his game every week.

I think the loser from this situation won't be either Watson or Jones, some here may not be happy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21

I think the loser from this situation won't be either Watson or Jones, some here may not be happy!

Casboult will play as he's the only one of the three who'll ruck.

Reply #22
Watson has a lot of upside, if he comes out of his shell he will go past many players on the list.

Watson can clunk marks as good as anyone we have, kicks at goal better than most, he field kicks better than even some of our mids, has a cool head in defence, is quick thinking(Given he is not quick moving!), better body on body than most, uses the ball smarter than most of the guys his own size and is big enough to relieve in the ruck.

He needs is to get his head sorted out, probably needs to work a little harder on endurance, and a couple more games at the highest level like that last one might be all it takes to light his fuse!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23

Agree with nearly all however, he has absolutely no desperation in his game, he has no real attack on the ball.

Its like when he was a kid because he was bigger and stronger than most he could get away with doing little work and be successful, and has carried this through to AFL level which is clearly not good enough.

Reply #24

Agree with nearly all however, he has absolutely no desperation in his game, he has no real attack on the ball.

That last game suggests otherwise though.

Late last season I think was the first time Watson started to look a bit harder, less puppy fat more muscle, not just that game but in the 2s as well!

Didn't take a backwards step against the Scum either!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
I don't see Watson staying at the club long term.

At best he is depth for our forward line, he may get 10-15 games due to poor form or injury to others.
20 goals for the season would be a win. if he can do that and consistently kick multiple goals in the 2nds when he is down there, I would be looking to trade him at the end of next year.

At worst he will lose all confidence and do nothing all year and we will end up delisting him.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #26
He's not a first pick atm but that could certainly change next year, depending on injuries and the form of others. It's vital for him personally to get selection early on and then perform well to hold his spot. If others establish themselves then he may struggle as I don't think he would shine in the NBs.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #27
I agree he is not in our starting line up at present, with Jacksh and Jones being added to the team you would have to assume this. However his last game was very good. it wasn't just that he kicked four goals, it was how he presented himself and took marks across the half forward line that made me excited by him. The question is can he do this on a consistent basis and we will only know this at the end of the year. If he plays like that it will be the other guys who will be struggling for a game. I hope that this is the case. If not he is porbably on the list of players who won't be playing for CFC in 2016.

Reply #28
I agree he is not in our starting line up at present, with Jacksh and Jones being added to the team you would have to assume this. However his last game was very good. it wasn't just that he kicked four goals, it was how he presented himself and took marks across the half forward line that made me excited by him. The question is can he do this on a consistent basis and we will only know this at the end of the year. If he plays like that it will be the other guys who will be struggling for a game. I hope that this is the case. If not he is porbably on the list of players who won't be playing for CFC in 2016.

I do not expect him to be on the playing list in 2016. He has had 1 good game against an undersized opponent. I hope I am wrong but I doubt it. He is slow and has shown little against guys his size. I have more hope that the new boys will make it.

Reply #29
I'll actually be disappointed if they don't start with him.
He has the position at the moment and played well his last game....it's for others to displace him.