Skip to main content
Topic: 2011 to 2015 comparisons (Read 20196 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2011 to 2015

Reply #15
What happened to the sides that beat us the following week? They got flogged because they were no where near it and neither were we.

Seriously, how do you think that is relevant or evidence of a Carlton meltdown?

And check your facts, Sydney lost the next 2010 final by 5 points!

Geelong flogged West Coast in 2011 at "The G", but then Geelong flogged everybody in the finals that year! Also during the season the team that you assert, we were no where near, defeated us by 2 points! I suppose that was another meltdown! Goal for goal for four quarters at Etihad with the ultimate premiers!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
See the problem here is folk are just guessing.

2011 and the 2012 decline isn't the issue.
It can't be...because once Ratten was sent on his way it just became a guess.
No-one knows whether 2013 would have been a bounce-back year.
No-one knows whether Ratten would have learned a few things from 2012 that saw the side improve in 2013 and continue to improve in 14/15

Our drafting/ and trading strategy would have been different.
Our ladder positions would have been different

Coaches learn. They're learning all the time....I bet Mick is still learning. And with knowledge comes growth
The assumption is Ratten would have just gone on in a stubborn, merry way without developing his own skills and knowledge as a coach.

It's why it is pointless to compare coaches and what would have happened...because it's just a guess.
It's why we should probably put it behind us...both Ratten supporters and critics.....but I'm guessing we won't.

more

Reply #17
Seriously, how do you think is that evidence of a meltdown?

And check your facts, Sydney lost the next final by 5 points!

Show me your evidence where you claim we do all this running for no reward?

I should have checked my facts as I just went on memory for that Dogs Sydney game, I forgot the dogs were behind and ran over them after half time.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Re: more

Reply #18
That statement scares me because it's so spot on. Malthouse has taken this team backwards at a rate of knots and there's no relief in sight!

i never really thought we would get the ultimate success with MM at the helm, although I did want some consistent improvement.
What I liked more about the appointment of MM at Carlton was the hope that he would get all our structures in the footy dept right. Bringing the knowledge of the Filth's footy dept which seems to be up there with the best, I wanted MM to make changes to the behind the scenes area so it all runs like an oily machine...the Match Committee included.
This doesn't seem to be the case.
At the time of his hiring I expected him to be here for a 3 year contract (due to age) but I was more interested in the affect he would have on the footy dept, so when he left his legacy would still be felt (positive I hope).
With the Match Committee, how many games have we looked at the side selected and gone  :o ?
It reminds me of those committee meeting you go to and late at night you are voting on something and someone has put forward a good argument so you all vote for it. Then in the morning you think 'What were we thinking'????
Someone on the MC must have a louder voice than most  ::)

I just want to see improvement not being teased all the time  >:(
2024... Moir of the same to come

more

Reply #19
The good old back in 2011 when we nearly won the flag without beating a top team argument lol.

Yes it's bizarre how teams that don't finish top lose to the teams above them, why do they keep doing that don't they get it? ;)
The Force Awakens!

Re: 2011 to 2015 comparisons

Reply #20
I've split this discussion from the Match thread.
We'd drifted a fair bit off track ;)

As we tend to do once this comes up. :D

more

Reply #21
See the problem here is folk are just guessing.

. . .

It's why it is pointless to compare coaches and what would have happened...because it's just a guess.
It's why we should probably put it behind us...both Ratten supporters and critics.....but I'm guessing we won't.

Very true Lods.  We can never know what might have happened if . . .

There's really not much point in comparing the current team's performances with those of 2010, 2011, 2012, etc.  The critical issue is how we compare with the other 17 teams this season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #22
....if we kept Fevola we may have won it.

This.

I argued long and hard at the time about winning a flag now vs Sustained Cultural success and development in losing Fev and Gaining Henderson and Lucas... Well here we are.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #23
2015 compared to 2011?

2011 obviously was a better side for the time, we finished 5th that year and won a final. We probably won't finish top 10 this year due to the rebuild.

However due to the evolution of the game I would still pick our current side to easily account for the 2011 one.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #25
However due to the evolution of the game I would still pick our current side to easily account for the 2011 one.

That may happen with the players, but I don't think that would happen with our current game plan. Our current game plan doesn't let us easily account for anybody!

I maintain 2011 was a fluke and an aberration

So I presume you think 2010 was just lucky as well? Geez, dead lucky for two straight years! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
Ouch.

For the benefit of the uneducated. ..luck can be used in a descriptive sense of having  a religious or moral influence and something out of ones control. ...

a fluke can be something based upon an improbable occurance

Reply #29
For the benefit of the uneducated. ..luck can be used in a descriptive sense of having  a religious or moral influence and something out of ones control. ...

a fluke can be something based upon an improbable occurance

Then there's chance and probability which can be expressed mathematically.
Reality always wins in the end.