Skip to main content
Topic: 2014 Leadership Group (Read 15313 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2014 Leadership Group

Reply #15
Captain
Vice-Captain
Deputy Vice-Captain

No need to have any more than that, this "leadership group" thing is a load of crap !!

Same!

Leaders of men will naturally stand out, they don't need a title. Anyone who thinks Judd still isn't a leader? Do you think if a young player came to Juddy with a problem he wouldn't help him?

Players speak about the extra time spent at leadership meetings and for what? I rather see them spending that recovering or working on skills or looking at their opponents for the next game. When I was playing basketball, I would always get to the game the week before and look at my match up and look at his favorite moves, see if his non dominant siode can get him out of trouble enough, that sort of stuff.

It slayed me this year when people were on Buddy, how many times they went for a smother only for some candy to be sold and the Buddy just waltzed around onto the left foot. If he's going to beat you make him do it on the right.

I dont necessarily disagree with the leadership structure, but team meetings are important.

Its during this time that you can work on strengths and weaknesses and what players did right and wrong and methods to improve that.  Using your same scenario, it should be an older player advising the bloke stuffing this up with Franklin and telling him to force him onto his non preffered side or even give him the left foot but only from 60 out so that way his kick will drop short.

You cant control the ball, but you can control the avenues open to your opposition player and you want them to play to their weaknesses and not their strengths which is precisely what you are getting at, and its during meetings that the mental aspects of the game are worked on and I would hope that Mitch Robinson is the first player being talked to.  Gets stuck in, but often gets caught up in the winning the ball thought process rather than the action-consequence to action thought process.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #16
Good teams do! Bad teams meet.

I don't know your age but I will reference one film - The Life of Brian. Peoples Front of Judea, all that needs to be said.

Reply #17
@Raydan I will agree to disagree with you, but I have been part of two teams that have won titles, and in both circumstances team meetings were held and the mental aspects of the game were discussed.

As for your life of Brian comment, Im a Judean Peoples front type of guy instead of your Peoples Front of Judea!

;)

Paul Hewson

Reply #18
SPLITTER!

Reply #19

How are decisions which impact the team made?

You can leave it to the coach but he may have bigger fish to fry. You can leave it to the captain but there are advantages to putting many heads together and it isn't good for development or ownership for all decisions to come from one point with no/little input from others.

Reply #20

You can leave it to the coach but he may have bigger fish to fry. You can leave it to the captain but there are advantages to putting many heads together and it isn't good for development or ownership for all decisions to come from one point with no/little input from others.

Of course you are going to have meetings to bash ideas around, but listen to what the players are saying now and it's the "endless meetings" that take over the day.

What happens when you have meetings too much? A team/organization becomes accustom to talking about problems rather than going out and fixing them.

Reply #21

Of course you are going to have meetings to bash ideas around, but listen to what the players are saying now and it's the "endless meetings" that take over the day.

What happens when you have meetings too much? A team/organization becomes accustom to talking about problems rather than going out and fixing them.

:D

Disregarding the previous banter I think perhaps you might have gotten stuck on the idea from a business perspective where endless meetings are the manner in which productivity is decreased.

In football, the meetings actually serve for playing the game smarter which is something that our group of princesses seem to get wrong and have done for quite a few years now.  It is required to fine tune the game and get the team functioning more as a unit.  This is to keep in mind that the meeting is usually discussed in context reflecting on the game played previously, and what went right or wrong.  The idea of having more people in there is so we can look at one incident (e.g. a coast to coast goal) and look at how the actions of people in the structure resulted in the ball travelling the distance quickly resulting in that goal and what can be done to prevent it.  Usually it highlights a situation where a player gambles and helps them to think about the alternate course of action and how that can affect the team or took the easy option rather than the difficult option of running into position vs attacking the ball etc.

We have moaned in another thread where our team tends to gamble and lose vs when the Cats and Hawthorn do it they win.  Meetings like this are usually the difference rather than actual talent level.

Its all worth it if the next time that same situation unfolds (common in team sports) that the player rather than taking the offensive gamble, takes the defensive gamble with a higher success rate.  It doesnt mean you will prevent the goal all the time as either way there would be an element of risk involved, but it does serve to help make the decision that results in a goal less frequently.  This same methodology can be applied later in terms of ball use, positioning etc, and hopefully result in more wins.

It all serves a purpose.  I agree that meetings can sometimes by un productive but thats usually in a business environment and not a sporting environment.  If anything sports teams probably dont meet and discuss things enough rather than too much.  They are well tuned machines and most of the fitness, skill and work is done in pre season that will hold the team in good stead for the year.  You will find that teams that fare better during the season proper will be the teams that have the least interupted preparation to the season and stay healthiest during the year, rather than the teams that work hardest during the season proper.  There is no substitute for matches when it comes to fitness.

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
We will disagree totally on this one.

AFL players, well athletes in general are never the brightest bulbs in the pack (generally speaking, there are exceptions) Someone used Robbo as an example, so I'll continue along that path. Do you think the Robbo would benefit from sitting and talking about what to do, or going out and actually doing it? Muscle memory is the key and you do not get it by sitting in the lecture theater talking about things.

As I said meetings do help but too many meeting hurt the cause a better use of time for a professional AFL player would be to be on the park and running drills at half pace and 3/4 pace to build an understanding.

Reply #23
We will disagree totally on this one.

AFL players, well athletes in general are never the brightest bulbs in the pack (generally speaking, there are exceptions) Someone used Robbo as an example, so I'll continue along that path. Do you think the Robbo would benefit from sitting and talking about what to do, or going out and actually doing it? Muscle memory is the key and you do not get it by sitting in the lecture theater talking about things.

As I said meetings do help but too many meeting hurt the cause a better use of time for a professional AFL player would be to be on the park and running drills at half pace and 3/4 pace to build an understanding.

I used Robbo as the example, and no muscle memory will help if you practise the wrong method from the start.

Using Levi Casboult's kicking action for reference.  I have no doubt he has practised it over and over again to result in a muscle memory that is no good for accuracy.

You can only reinforce teaching during a meeting.  That doesnt mean having 5 of them a week, but you will touch on these things in the weekly review that we are talking about.

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
I suppose you can look at it like a group playing football or an organization which should have formalised structures.

You wouldn't dream about having 44 people working away with 1 appointed leader in many contexts. Is 6 players too much governance? Maybe but if crap hits the fan, you can't just leave it to chance that someone will take responsibility.

Reply #25
Surely a Forward, Midfield and Defensive leader are all that are needed in addition to the captain and VC or Deputy Capt.?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
Surely a Forward, Midfield and Defensive leader are all that are needed in addition to the captain and VC or Deputy Capt.?

That's basically the structure cookie and why we have players like duigan and Waite in there...

Reply #27

That's basically the structure cookie and why we have players like duigan and Waite in there...

Captain, Vice Captain. That's it. Period. Irrelevant if they are in defence, midfield or forward area. If players are that dumb that they need 5-6 players telling them what to do, delist them. Classic example of too many chiefs not enough Indians. 2 voices on the pitch and runners can do the rest if needed. Anything else is just noise. Follow the game plan, give 100% and follow your captain to hell. Otherwise expect a spell in the 2s.
Keep the Faith

Reply #28
You guys understand that positions in the leadership group, and even the captaincy itself on many levels, are more honorary positions than real responsibilities, right?

The captain doesn't tell the side what to do, the coach does.

Everyone is expected to show leadership when it's their turn to go. Everyone is expected to support their mates on the field when it's needed. In no way, shape or form is it up to any one player or even group of players to do this every single time it is needed.

#makingfartoobigadealofthis
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #29

Captain, Vice Captain. That's it. Period. Irrelevant if they are in defence, midfield or forward area. If players are that dumb that they need 5-6 players telling them what to do, delist them. Classic example of too many chiefs not enough Indians. 2 voices on the pitch and runners can do the rest if needed. Anything else is just noise. Follow the game plan, give 100% and follow your captain to hell. Otherwise expect a spell in the 2s.

Football is more than just the 2 hours out on the ground on Saturday arvo.