Skip to main content
Topic: "Malthouse Reveals How The Blues Will Rise In 2014" - HUN (Read 16520 times) previous topic - next topic

"Malthouse Reveals How The Blues Will Rise In 2014" - HUN

MICK Malthouse has highlighted a 25 per cent player turnover as the key component in a ladder ascent for Carlton next year.
Malthouse said from Arizona yesterday that the Blues would field a vastly more flexible outfit next year.
Recruits Dale Thomas and Andrejs Everitt who would help release players such as Andrew Walker, Chris Yarran and Simon White to forward roles when required.

"There is a public viewpoint that looks at Chris Yarran as if he is 26-27, when he's still just 22. He has the ability to break games apart and that's what I love about him. So we will play him very much at both ends of the ground," Malthouse said.

He readily admits the game style he arrived with Collingwood wasn't appropriate to the Carlton list so changes were made early on.

"You can't be pig-headed and stick with a game structure that suited Collingwood and took years to develop. I thought I could bring that to Carlton but after four-five weeks in concluded it wasn't working," said Malthouse.

"So I started to look at what was working and what wasn't working, to fit in with the capabilities of the players in my squad."

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-coach-mick-malthouse-reveals-how-the-blues-will-rise-in-2014/story-fni5f22o-1226779996501#ixzz2n4DKKvGn

Sounds like some sort of admittance that he forked up at the start.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Re: Mick Says Blues On The Rise

Reply #2
I don't know if he really accepts he has forked up at all. I see it as he tried a game plan that suited the Pies, but not the talent the Blues had at the time. He tried to change it because he isn't a stubborn mule, and can accept something isn't working the way it should on paper. Coaching obviously has some trial and error element to it. The new players will be expected to perform. No doubt Everitt and Thomas for sure. The others might have a small break in period. It will show on the field if he has done what he needs to. I'm still hanging on to hope.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #3
Better than the Pago approach but let's see how next year goes before we start claiming improvements.

Reply #4

We told him that ;) :D

Exactly Lods!

I wonder how many more games we would have won if Malthouse paid more attention to our pontifications  :-\

It was a monumental blunder on his part though.  Blind Freddy could see that we didn't have the cattle to run the Collingwood gameplan.  Plan B should have been trialled in the NAB Cup  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
I don't know if he really accepts he has forked up at all. I see it as he tried a game plan that suited the Pies, but not the talent the Blues had at the time.

I suppose I am skeptical, but I think the list changes could be an indication he is re-working the list to go back to the plan rather than developing a new plan! Of those Everitt is the biggest curiosity for me!

Better than the Pago approach but let's see how next year goes before we start claiming improvements.

Yes at this stage, but if things don't improve rapidly he will be screwing his reputation big time.

In effect he has changed the list to what he wants, changed the staff to what he wants, changed the training to his preferred scheme. He has no more excuses, he has put his ar5e on the line, will the players respond?
The Force Awakens!

"Malthouse Reveals How The Blues Will Rise In 2014" - HUN

Reply #6
MICK Malthouse has highlighted a 25 per cent player turnover as the key component in a ladder ascent for Carlton next year. 

Malthouse said from Arizona yesterday that the Blues would field a vastly more flexible outfit next year.

Recruits Dale Thomas and Andrejs Everitt who would help release players such as Andrew Walker, Chris Yarran and Simon White to forward roles when required.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-coach-mick-malthouse-reveals-how-the-blues-will-rise-in-2014/story-fni5f22o-1226779996501
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: "Malthouse Reveals How The Blues Will Rise In 2014" - HUN

Reply #7

"There is a public viewpoint that looks at Chris Yarran as if he is 26-27, when he's still just 22. He has the ability to break games apart and that's what I love about him. So we will play him very much at both ends of the ground," Malthouse said.

He readily admits the game style he arrived with Collingwood wasn't appropriate to the Carlton list so changes were made early on.

"You can't be pig-headed and stick with a game structure that suited Collingwood and took years to develop. I thought I could bring that to Carlton but after four-five weeks in concluded it wasn't working," said Malthouse.

"So I started to look at what was working and what wasn't working, to fit in with the capabilities of the players in my squad."

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-coach-mick-malthouse-reveals-how-the-blues-will-rise-in-2014/story-fni5f22o-1226779996501#ixzz2n4DKKvGn

I remember being howled down for suggesting such treason!
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #8

Yes but if Malthouse says it, it must be taken as gospel. No questions asked. All hail DEAR LEADER.

Reply #9

Yes but if Malthouse says it, it must be taken as gospel. No questions asked. All hail DEAR LEADER.

fuhrer ?

Reply #10
Der Führer!
Definitely not 'Il Duce".
Maybe we need Chairman Mao, or maybe not - he stuffed up China monumentally before his successors got their act together.

Ave Imperator! We who are about to die, salute you!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #11

You weren't alone mein fuhrer!!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #12
In Mick we trust!

Is that Mick as in Catholic, Mick Gatto or Michael Malthouse!

Maybe we need Mick Gatto as a team motivator, no second chances!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
I think the interesting bit of that article was that we had absolutely no salary cap space to bring anyone in. That's obviously changed this year with 25% list turn-over that's given MM a lot more freedom than he had last time around.

I remember the start of last year - everyone seemed to be playing like they were just getting to know each other again. We still lost games towards the end of the year but things didn't seem as disjointed. Everyone got used to the way Simo/Walker were playing off half-back.

Judd falling away and Murphy's knee did us no favours.

Have to cross our fingers that all our top players have excellent years this time around because we don't have many of them.

Huge year for Kreuz, Murphy, Thomas and Judd. All 4 should be elite.

Reply #14
Huge year for Kreuz, Murphy, Thomas and Judd. All 4 should be elite.

Agree with three of them but not Judd. He will decline again. I also don't trust Kreuz most definitely a wait and see.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!