Skip to main content
Topic: "Carlton Football Club Keeps Fires Burning" - AGE (Read 11879 times) previous topic - next topic

"Carlton Football Club Keeps Fires Burning" - AGE

In a club podcast with long-time lieutenant Robert Wiley in August, Malthouse, coming to the end of his first season at Princes Park, questioned the club's winning mentality, reminding the Blues they had won just one flag since the league changed its name to the AFL in 1990.

Malthouse, a three-time premiership coach, sensed the Blues had a ''built-in'' mentality of not knowing what price to pay to consistently win games, and enjoy finals success.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/carlton-football-club-keeps-fires-burning-on-win-mentality-as-they-work-through-preseason-training-in-chilly-arizona-20131214-2ze42.html#ixzz2nRwLJh6t
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: "Carlton Football Club Keeps Fires Burning" - AGE

Reply #1
Oh really? 

My drunken self hadn't farking noticed. 

We're mediocre. Have been for a long time. Doesn't take Thomas Einstein to work that one out.  ;D

Reply #2
Isn't that what the coach is employed to fix?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
Thomas Einstein - Love your work Gozza !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #5
MM is in the process of weeding out the "quitters", the "faint-hearted ones", the "useless ones"  and the "losers". He's made a start - next year will see how much more of this is needed. We won't get near a flag until this work is complete.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
Oh really? 

My drunken self hadn't farking noticed. 

We're mediocre. Have been for a long time. Doesn't take Thomas Einstein to work that one out.  ;D

Albert Edison is turning in his grave :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #7
MM is in the process of weeding out the "quitters", the "faint-hearted ones", the "useless ones"  and the "losers". He's made a start - next year will see how much more of this is needed. We won't get near a flag until this work is complete.

Well, he's got rid of a couple of useless players, and we've lost a star and a bloke with potential.

I don't think "quitters", "faint-hearted ones" and "losers" would survive at AFL level and I wouldn't put any of our list in those categories.  What we do have are players that may not be good enough, or who may need some adjustment "above the shoulders".  Malthouse has had 12 months to identify and address those deficiencies and I think that he has strengthened our list significantly in that time.  Depending on how much improvement he can wring out of our fringe and developing players, and how durable our established players are, Malthouse should only have to fine tune the list for us to be genuine contenders.

Rather than weeding out underperformers, Malthouse's real challenge will be retaining the team's core with Bryce Gibbs, Michael Jamison, Marc Murphy, Heath Scotland, Kade Simpson, Jarrad Waite and Andrew Walker eligible for free agency.  Excluding Scotland and Waite, we would have to hang on to at least four of that lot.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #8
@DJC

Well we'll know for sure soon enough whether the pruning has been enough. Yes Eddie was a loss but I think one where we have others who will provide cover for his role. I'm still not convinced that there are not another couple, maybe more, who will go if they don't improve. Call it what you like, the way we let go of some games in 2013 was disturbing and I'm sure it wouldn't have escaped the attention of MM.

As far as FA is concerned, next year will show which of those coming up are ones we really want to keep and are prepared to offer what they want. I'm confident that if we improve significantly in 2014 then we can retain who we want of Gibbs, Jamo, Murphy, Simmo and Walker. Most will likely want to stay under those circumstances.  We should, however, have contingencies identified and lined up just in case.

Scotto and possibly Waite will more likely be retired , as you say.

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
Yes Cookie there are definitely a few who will need to live up to their potential or it will be "don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out".

If the Club is not working very hard now to keep Gibbs, Jamison, Murphy, Simpson and Walker then the powers that be have rocks in their heads.

Interestingly, there's not much on offer from other clubs via free agency and those players who would make a difference to us are apparently close to signing contract extensions.

Scotland will probably pull the pin but, if Waite has a good season, I suspect he'll go around again.

Time will tell  :-\

Reply #10
Reckon Gibbs is the only one we are really in danger of losing. Isn't this Maccas job, to get signatures on the line that is dotted?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #11
Reckon Gibbs is the only one we are really in danger of losing. Isn't this Maccas job, to get signatures on the line that is dotted?

Whatever will be, will be with Gibbs I think, and the same goes for any non-Victorians. If they want to go home that badly, they leave.

Reply #12
Im not going to lament the loss of any free agent.  The ones that really want to be here will stay at the club and they will be rewarded with a decent to good amount of money accordingly.

It will help us weed out those who are in it for themselves and should see us become a stronger team.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #13

Hopefully in his last season at the helm, Sticks can have some influence on getting Gibba to sign. Surely his friendship with his old man counts for something. Then there's MM's assurance that Gibba was ontouchable during this trade period.

Murphy should follow Hodges lead and get it done early as possible.

Simmo's  Carlton to the core and Walker seems to love playing under MM.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #14
I'm with those who feel we need to sign up and tie up players earlier in the season. We can't have another Betts situation. I don't mind us trading players to improve the playing list, but when we lose players for free it is just not on.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.