Skip to main content
Topic: 2014 - Strugglers (Read 20249 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2014 - Strugglers

Reply #45
It's is absolutely the case that a Crowley tagger type will give Judd the odd "accidental" kick in the achilles at times during the coming season.

If you think that stuff doesn't happen, watch footage of blokes like Brown and Baker.

If a bloke has a perceived weakness, they will test it, that is how the achilles got it's name!

Robinson has his uses and needs to be one to take a Crowley out if it need be. Robinson and Bell need to be used well and their body strength and sizes need to be taken advantage of. In the case of Robinson, his courage and will to hurt a player.

I think clubs are now well aware of how Crowley plays and I expect him and his ilk to get a lot more physical treatment this season, I fully expect to hear and read Ross Lyon complaining about how Crowley is being attacked off the ball and manhandled by opposition players at ball ups etc.
I can see the Mark Yeates/Dermott Brereton scenerio happening with Crowley, Hocking etc and being lined up at ball ups and meeting with some physical players like Robinson, Bell and even Kruezer/Casboult etc...good coaches wont allow star players to be kept out of games by this type of negating and I can see the tactics changing this season.

Gee I hope so.

Reply #46
I am normally pumped this time of the year, full of optimism about our chances. This year, I feel very pessimistic for some reason. I suspect we won't improve on last year and won't make the 8. Quite a few teams have gone passed us, like 9thmond and the Scum. Lets face it we were gifted a final spot and the Scum should have finished top 4 just about. Judds farked, Hendo's farked, Kruze has done SFA of a preseason. Apparently we had 19 off season ops, equivalent to pre 2012 and we all know how that year went. Only a matter of time when Waitey breaks down and Carrot's calf goes twang. I'm starting to think we should have culled deeper and perhaps traded someone like Gibbs  who has delivered little for a no. 1 pick. Just saying.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
I am normally pumped this time of the year, full of optimism about our chances. This year, I feel very pessimistic for some reason. I suspect we won't improve on last year and won't make the 8. Quite a few teams have gone passed us, like 9thmond and the Scum. Lets face it we were gifted a final spot and the Scum should have finished top 4 just about. Judds farked, Hendo's farked, Kruze has done SFA of a preseason. Apparently we had 19 off season ops, equivalent to pre 2012 and we all know how that year went. Only a matter of time when Waitey breaks down and Carrot's calf goes twang. I'm starting to think we should have culled deeper and perhaps traded someone like Gibbs  who has delivered little for a no. 1 pick. Just saying.

Dude!!!
Upside = Daisy, Cripps, Everitt and Docherty.
Downside = Judd gone early days.

Hendo's not farked and neither is Judd. K-man should be fit and firing along with Waite. Our recruits free up Walker and Gibbs into the mid.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #48
It's is absolutely the case that a Crowley tagger type will give Judd the odd "accidental" kick in the achilles at times during the coming season.

If you think that stuff doesn't happen, watch footage of blokes like Brown and Baker.

If a bloke has a perceived weakness, they will test it, that is how the achilles got it's name!

Robinson has his uses and needs to be one to take a Crowley out if it need be. Robinson and Bell need to be used well and their body strength and sizes need to be taken advantage of. In the case of Robinson, his courage and will to hurt a player.

I think clubs are now well aware of how Crowley plays and I expect him and his ilk to get a lot more physical treatment this season, I fully expect to hear and read Ross Lyon complaining about how Crowley is being attacked off the ball and manhandled by opposition players at ball ups etc.
I can see the Mark Yeates/Dermott Brereton scenerio happening with Crowley, Hocking etc and being lined up at ball ups and meeting with some physical players like Robinson, Bell and even Kruezer/Casboult etc...good coaches wont allow star players to be kept out of games by this type of negating and I can see the tactics changing this season.

You might be right there EB, however with reduced interchange, I can see the old run them into the ground argument coming to the fore.  The best way to deal with Crowley, is to push him out of the contest.  These days Murphy is tagged first, and so, the best way to fix it is to rotate him in and out of contests and resting in different parts of the ground.  Crowley is a good tagger, but now with the reduced interchanges, guys like him will struggle IMHO.

Interestingly enough, this is where Aaron Joseph might have been worth retaining as he is one of those players that can tag a bloke and has good running ability so only the absolute guns will really be able to shake him.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #49

Dude!!!

Hendo's not farked and neither is Judd. K-man should be fit and firing along with Waite. Our recruits free up Walker and Gibbs into the mid.
Hope you're right mate ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #50

Dude!!!

Hope you're right mate ;)

Mate I'm confident we will be better than last year. How much so still remains an uncertainty.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #51
I've got a good feel about season 2014. Thomas and Everitt bring. ability , experience and athleticism. Mick has settled and has more of a grasp and better support.
If we're all goes well Docherty  too may fire , well have some flexibility.
Go Baggers

Reply #52
At the moment there are only 22 spots, so if all four newbies get a run there are going to be some pretty disappointed fans.

But who knows there could be a late rule change!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
I've got a good feel about season 2014. Thomas and Everitt bring. ability , experience and athleticism. Mick has settled and has more of a grasp and better support.
If we're all goes well Docherty  too may fire , well have some flexibility.
Go Baggers

This is exactly what I hope for. Yarran and Garlett to bring it on now that Betts is gone. Army to have more impact and the season should go way better than the last season. ;) Heres to being optimistic.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.