Skip to main content
Topic: "Carlton Must Voice Realistic Goals To Members" - (Patrick Smith) SEN (Read 29049 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: "Carlton Must Voice Realistic Goals To Members" - (Patrick Smith) SEN

Reply #75
The most important 'reality' that our club needs to understand with crystal clarity, is that we have been here before.

Since the early '90s we have put in plenty of games like last Sunday night. And then we come back strong with subsequent wins, and maybe even string together good wins - only to eventually return to this 'default/ordinary' position once the 'courage wind' has left our 'fickle/timid sails'. Members can only feel - conned again. Time to renew the sails.

Do we have what it takes to really change where we are now? Changing that means home truths… ruthless honestly. And ruthless honesty starts with me/self, inclusive of every position within the club. “What can I do better, much better… and what will it take?”

Too many of us, as positive and optimistic as we might be, are becoming justifiably cynical. We do not want to be cynical about our club and its people. We want to believe the hype. But we're not all d1ckheads and are no longer buying the marketing/Pr dept message. When you promise much and deliver FA over collective seasons, well, you get Membership stalling at 45,000. And this is a club that should have Membership at 75,000 plus (considering our supporter base and significant national profile).
So failure is very real at most levels of our club, except the CEOs dept... this dept has and is delivering financial growth big time. Well done.

What we want right now from our club (I suspect) is honest acknowledgement of where we really are and how the f*ck we got to this level of ‘averageness/ordinariness’. And although we can see very real evidence that our club is being way more honest with us than, maybe, ever (website/media acknowledgement & very real accountability) it will all amount to nought if our club does not act decisively and ruthlessly to remedy our 'ordinary' status. Strong change.

Only sustained excellence/success has credibility.

Our football club has been down, defeated and embarrassed for far too long. The only challenge for each member of our Board is, ‘do you really know what it takes to create success at EVERY level of our club and are you capable of being obsessively & ruthlessly focussed, no matter what, on creating a dynasty of success at the Mighty CFC?” Not a season of success. A dynasty of success… and if you do not know what that means and what it will require from you, then FO.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #76
@ Baggers
BANG on Brother! Now mail it to the spastics will ya. ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #77
They just need to do it. This expectation that they have to voice what they're doing so as to gain approval of 50,000 members is a complete contradiction and a sign of a weak organization lacking belief in their methodology. We get our chance to express approval or disapproval at election time. There is no need to voice anything -- they just need do it.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #78
I paid my membership, I have voting rights. They can keep me in the dark if that's how they want to treat the people they represent but we'll see how long they keep their jobs for or if they do, their members. No doubt these guys have this attitude though.

Reply #79
I paid my membership, I have voting rights. They can keep me in the dark if that's how they want to treat the people they represent but we'll see how long they keep their jobs for or if they do, their members. No doubt these guys have this attitude though.

Seen that TV show..." everyone loves Sticks"?....half the rank and file would vote for Sticks and his crew regardless of the state of the club because its " Sticks"
You get mutiny at the AGM's and Sticks is trotted out, gets a cheer then everyone forgets why they are there....

Reply #80

Seen that TV show..." everyone loves Sticks"?....half the rank and file would vote for Sticks and his crew regardless of the state of the club because its " Sticks"
You get mutiny at the AG';s and Sticks is trotted out, gets a cheer then everyone forgets why they are there....

No doubt this current blitz is just PR to keep the grumbling as low as possible but it's better than just keeping everyone in the dark. Also keeps rumours of the coach getting the arse minimal

Reply #81

You get mutiny at the AGM's and Sticks is trotted out, gets a cheer then everyone forgets why they are there....

I saw this first hand at a meeting at Mooney Valley years ago when Elliott put up Colin De Lutis as his successor.
De Lutis may well have been the right man for the job but the mood in the room was toxic and no one was buying anything Elliott had to sell by that stage.
Sticks got to his feet at the same meeting and delivered an "aw shucks" kind of speech in which he basically said he knew nothing about business or finances, which should have rung alarm bells coming from a board member, but the audience lapped it up.
10 years down the track and we're still wallowing in mediocrity, with Sticks as President.
Good bloke, legend of the club, but not the man for the job, just like Ratts.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.