Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 5 : BLUES Defeated Dogs (Finally Final Siren Elation) (Read 60352 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 5 : BLUES Defeated Dogs (Finally Final Siren Elation)

Reply #120
What a pleasure to see us run and carry. Gee our disposal looks better and the forwards suddenly look like taking a grab with quick ball giving them one on one.

We found a balance with the boundary usually squaring to the square instead of the arcs.

Gibbs was very good I thought and think Rowe is going ok.

Well done to the entire group and think we are a definite chance against the eagles.

Cripps is the modern midfielder and our recruiters got this one right IMO.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #121
And Wallis, the Dogs’ tagger who was tasked with standing under-siege captain Marc Murphy, copped a physical battering from every Carlton player who strode into the young Dog’s personal space and cannoned into him in the first term.

Elbows, hip and shoulders, everything to make Wallis wish he wasn’t out there.

The Blues were out to protect their skipper. It was the kind of spirit that we haven’t seen from Carlton throughout a torrid first month.

But, just like the players so boldly forecast on social media this week, they were united, physical, desperate and fast from the opening bounce.

How long have we been questioning this aspect of our game ?? About time it happened I say !!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #122
It seems so simple Sheik...

And how didnt Murphy benefit the side by getting forward and kicking 3 goals.

Loved seeing cripps push crameri and get in his face.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #123
Leave Cripps in, I say. Let him learn at high speed rather than pilcking up bad habits in the 2s.

There's a flip side to this though.
Cripps looks as though he will make a good player but there are blokes working hard for a senior game in the VFL and surely good efforts should be rewarded, there are other promising youngsters who would also benefit from senior game time.
I'm thinking Graham, Buckley and Menzel but Cachia has also showed ability as a tagger and might be needed with Curnow likely to miss.
Garlett and McLean are still well in the picture along with Armfield and Robinson, I don't think it will do Cripps any harm to be made to earn his stripes.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #124
Cripps will be fine but he wasn't very good and can't run out a game. A month back in the magoos will be perfect, I'd expect him to get 2 BOG's in that time when he goes back.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #125
Lucas can be a deer in headlights, but in that last quarter he and Bell laid some huge tackles and did not stop running.  I didn't know Lucas had that grit in him.  I stand corrected.  Give me three more weeks of that and he'll be a 200 games player.  Actually he reminds me of Simmo who also had a slow start to his career.

Sometimes you don't realize that you have it in you until you are forced to do it.  No one was prepared or dared to shirk an issue yesterday, Lucas included. Could be a watershed match for him.

Also the result of maturity and feeling stronger after another preseason. If you feel strong you can act strong. Some players have it in their nature but Lucas isn't one of them.

Reply #126
Cripps will be fine but he wasn't very good and can't run out a game. A month back in the magoos will be perfect, I'd expect him to get 2 BOG's in that time when he goes back.

Agree....good player but has two weak areas and that is pace and disposal by foot. Gets run off too easy by opponents and misses to many tragets at this stage.
I do like his his attitude though and the kid can stick up for himself which is a bonus...

Reply #127
Hit targets, tackled with venom, timing of leads and passes much much better this week, conversion rate = 62%. Result? W
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #128
Gee we're a funny lot
Fighting when we lose, fighting when we win. :D

I really do wonder about our supporter base.
We have 800 to 900K of supporters across the country, yet we are never happy with what we have and we struggle to get 40K paid up members.  In regards to these numbers we are so far behind the other big clubs it's farcical. Are we just fickle front runners ourselves ?

Do we as a WHOLE club really just need to realise we are what we are at this point in time, lighten the feck up and get behind the club.

The boys put in a great effort yesterday and got the points against Footscray.   8)

Now we need to back it up and roll the Toast.   ;D
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #129

Flying the flag in game 2 at 19 yo. Make no mistake this kid is going to be a leader of this club.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #130
Gee we're a funny lot
Fighting when we lose, fighting when we win. :D

I really do wonder about our supporter base.
We have 800 to 900K of supporters across the country, yet we are never happy with what we have and we struggle to get 40K paid up members.  In regards to these numbers we are so far behind the other big clubs it's farcical. Are we just fickle front runners ourselves ?

Do we as a WHOLE club really just need to realise we are what we are at this point in time, lighten the feck up and get behind the club.

The boys put in a great effort yesterday and got the points against Footscray.   8)

Now we need to back it up and roll the Toast.   ;D

You're probably preaching to the converted BJ
Even the most critical poster on here is probably a much "stronger" supporter of the club than the majority of those 800 to 900 you talk about.
I often meet folk and when the talk comes to football they say they "don't mind Carlton".....but they're not hard core.
Changing that "I don't mind them" to "I'll buy a membership"......That's a marketing challenge for the club....which, of course, is made easier with on-field success.

Reply #131
I'm elated with the win, gents.
But we can't delude ourselves. We have major weaknesses.

Despite what some on here keep saying, if you are being fair dinkum and prepared to take off the blinkered biased glasses, then you have to acknowledge that Rowe isn't up to it. He panics, he fumbles, he lacks the ability to stick a tackle etc. etc. Watson is no better, and White lacks a football brain. I have seen him go to punch the ball out of bounds at least 4 times in the last three games, when he could have taken an uncontested mark. In fact he went the punch in the last quarter against the dogs, and the ball flew straight up in the air, and it came down into his hands for a clear mark which the umpire didn't pay.

Instead of going the punch, he could have marked the thing to begin with. But he lacks confidence in his own ability to mark the ball, and panics.

I understand that at this point in time, it would seem that we have no one else to replace them, but frankly, leaving our defence in their hands will kill us and has killed us against the top teams.

They nearly cost us the game on Sunday. If the dogs player kicks through the ball and goals instead of doing a Garlett and dribbling the ball through for a point, we are in real trouble.

The only way we are going to win games is, and this is stating the obvious, to do what we did yesterday and establish a big enough lead to compensate for Rowe and Whites  lack of defensive skills.

I'm hoping Everitt can find a place there, and Docherty can overcome his issues and come into the side, and that may give us a better defence that can withstand counter attacks from the opposition.

Until then, it's going to be heart in mouth stuff every game.

Reply #133

Flying the flag in game 2 at 19 yo. Make no mistake this kid is going to be a leader of this club.

I tell ya what though, the next target Cripps hits by foot will be his first..... 8)
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #134
Brilliant win by the Blues - real heart and soul stuff which has been missing for so long.

Losing Judd was a sour note to sweet victory but on the upside I think not having him for essentially half the season will be good for the side overall. It's time for generation next to stand up.