Skip to main content
Topic: Round 9: Carlton vs. Sydney Post Game Pain (Read 62841 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 9: Carlton vs. Sydney Post Game Pain

Reply #15
Lest we forgot the scandal, arguably rort, that is Buddy's 10 year contract.

A disgrace, again, from the pathetic spineless AFL.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #16
Great effort, big improvement in intensity, with Gibbs, Murphy and Judd also improving in their intensity we finish a lot closer but without that class we were no match for the Swans.

We missed Judd but I'm not so sure the other two were missed that much.....Bell and Cripps got plenty of ball and did all the heavy work, Dylan Buckley is a goer and as Cameron Ling said should never play as the sub again and needs game time.
Wood was excellent in the ruck IMO and I thought Graham while not having much of the ball did put himself in and like Buckley needs the work and more game time..

Jones and Tutt need delisting.....
Touhy is overated and need dropping
Walker is nearly gone IMO and like Daisy looks heavy in the legs...that latter started ok but faded out as in previous games..
Henderson needs it lace out as a forward and wont get that service with us and needs to play down back...he isnt strong enough in the air to play KP forward.
Levi was ok in patches...
Everitt is better midfield or forward....
Docherty was ok
Menzel must be injured because he was useless.....
Armfield...honest trier
Cripps....great at the coalface but struggles to hit targets by foot but his handball is good and has clean hands....
Bell....a leader in many respects, strongest player at the footy, can break tackles etc but just lacks a bit of class with his use of the ball but he doesnt give in and we are seeing
second and third efforts....a player to keep and pair with Cripps for the future....
White....poor bugger, gets the oversized players every week and gets smashed...
Rowe...good IMO and tried hard.....
Simpson... battled away as always
Curnow...tagged Hanneberry I think and was ok at his role but didnt gte much of the footy, Hanneberry got away after half time..

Reply #17
Only saw the second half, so can only comment on a side that was 6 goals down going into the break.

Better effort all around, but the same issues that have beset the side for years, namely poor kicking and a lack of run.

Cripps, Curnow and Bell did well around the packs, and Docherty gave some run, along with Simpson.

Jones went missing as per usual, so no surprises there, and Henderson was underdone as expected. Everitt looked better up forward, and may be a better option than Jones around half forward as he seems to be better at meeting the ball directly. At least he moves a little more. Casboult did ok and his kicking is getting better. Hope Yarran's ankle is allright for next week.

Still, a black cloud has been lifted from the club and we can look forward to building something better. We have so far to go but things can turn around quicker than expected.  They all need to work on the little efforts such as getting onto the mark, shepherding,  and the like. This is what limits scores against rather than one on one heroic efforts. Bring on next week.

Reply #18
Yep
I'd be looking at giving Everitt a few weeks stint in the Jones/Watson role.

Reply #19

Agree....is more mobile rather than being a mark and kick player...needs space to work in though...

Reply #20
Yep

HIT. NAIL. HEAD.

Exactly what I was thinking Lods.......best shot for goal in the team by a mile too.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #21
......Hendo and Walker were underdone......

I reckon you're being very kind - especially in Walker's case....

Reply #22
Need to make sure Casboult gets a run in the ruck early and gets his hands it it. When he does he's a different player both in the ruck and up forward. Leave him stuck on the forward line the way the ball comes in and you can see his confidence and game disintegrate.

Reply #23
Isn't it a sad state of affairs when we lose by 10 goals, but reckon we went okay.....*sigh*

Reply #24
Elwood, I am really sorry to question Everitt on your knowledge of his improved games since leaving the bulldogs. However he is another fail for me. He has the height and is athletic, but just doesn't do enough to damage the scoreboard. He just runs around like a Bower. Sorry to compare the 2, but he will become our next Bower. Potential, but no real ability over the full 4 quarters of a match. Yoyo boy will be my new knick-name for him. Sorry buddy, don't take this as anything against you. I respect all your posts but he is only slightly better than Jones. Actually heaps better than Jones, but then again if we delist both, they will never get a game at any club ever again. IMO. Cheers Elwood.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #25
Graham 14 touches 7 tackles. Some decent inside work, needs to find those 10 outside disposals as well and he's on his way.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #26
I reckon you're being very kind - especially in Walker's case....

Actually, the 3 blokes who had problems late pre-season, Murphy, Gibbs and Walker and struggled this year. Either get Walker into the midfield, as he has pace and a tank, or up forward. Never been great in defence. We've played him there for years and it hasn't always been good. We did draft him as a mid, we need them but we never play him there. Let a bloke run around and get a few touches and things can change. Or he kicks 50 in a year then we send him back again. Why? I have no idea.

Reply #27
I think there's an elephant in the room: Is Troy Menzel really as good as everyone is making out he is??

Reply #28
Isn't it a sad state of affairs when we lose by 10 goals, but reckon we went okay.....*sigh*

The killer is having no run. Run is everything, creates space going forward and makes skills look better as forwards have more space to run onto the ball. That was our strength before, and a strength late last year, hence we were very competitive. Mick literally killed that run and flair and will take a few weeks to re-learn that. Other's stuff was alot better but without run you'll struggle.

Reply #29
I think there's an elephant in the room: Is Troy Menzel really as good as everyone is making out he is??

Was on and off the ground and could be carrying an injury but agree he is struggling...lacks a yard of pace and needs to improve his defensive work.
Would probably kick a lot of goals in a better team but has to work harder with us and I dont think thats his cup of tea at the moment....unless like I said he
is carrying an injury...