Skip to main content
Topic: Round 10: Carlton vs Adelaide After Game Thread (Read 43472 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 10: Carlton vs Adelaide After Game Thread

Reply #135
I actually don't think that many on here would believe that premiership contenders is the natural next step. None, probably. I think we're all realistic enough to know that consistent effort is the first port of call, followed by consistent competitiveness - that would be good for 2015. Consistent ruthless effort and consistent competitiveness will bring wins, and we're still a far way from that, but early (EARLY) signs suggest we've taken the first step and the first step only in the right direction -- as opposed to the side-ways, backwards, shuffling of recent times.

Spot on, with all these factors comes development of youth and culture which is what we've all been crying out for for a long time.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #136
Thry is advocating signing up Barker now. Others are more than happy with our progress and expect it to continue. Some thought the mere sacking of Mick was all we needed to turn everything around.

This is based on little more than showing effort. If we are going to sign up a coach simply because we now show effort, then we are going down the wrong path.

What i'm suggesting is even with a continued improvement in effort...and even a little (somewhat unrealistic) improvement in skill. We have a long way to go before we CAN be premiership contenders. I'm not saying people think we are premiership contenders this year. Just that this type of improvement alone inevitably leads us to that point.

Being competitive, to winning more than you lose, to being able to beat the top sides, to being able to win a flag are giant steps. Passing one level doesn't guarantee the next level.

Basically i don't want people to get too excited about Barker simply because we show some competitiveness.

Reply #137
No way Barker should be signed up now. Twas a positive sign and if he can somehow get our boys to play like that for the majority of the remainder of the season THEN AND ONLY THEN can he be seriously considered for the role. Good start but as you said, 5% forward. We need to get Gibbs back in the side and have a serious crack at Port who seem to have hit some form. Let's see what we can produce.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #138
No way Barker should be signed up now. Twas a positive sign and if he can somehow get our boys to play like that for the majority of the remainder of the season THEN AND ONLY THEN can he be seriously considered for the role. Good start but as you said, 5% forward. We need to get Gibbs back in the side and have a serious crack at Port who seem to have hit some form. Let's see what we can produce.

Bingo! All focus should be on the next game... plus Byrne, Gibbs (as you mentioned), Jamison, Thomas and Yarran should all be in contention for the Port game.

(and hopefully over the coming months we'll get a squiz at, at senior level, Fields, Russell, Holman and Walsh)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #139
Bingo! All focus should be on the next game... plus Byrne, Gibbs (as you mentioned), Jamison, Thomas and Yarran should all be in contention for the Port game.

(and hopefully over the coming months we'll get a squiz at, at senior level, Fields, Russell, Holman and Walsh)

I can see club elevating Walsh from the Rookie list to replace Juddy.  Has been very solid for the NB all year. 

Reply #140
Thry is advocating signing up Barker now. Others are more than happy with our progress and expect it to continue. Some thought the mere sacking of Mick was all we needed to turn everything around.

This is based on little more than showing effort. If we are going to sign up a coach simply because we now show effort, then we are going down the wrong path.

What i'm suggesting is even with a continued improvement in effort...and even a little (somewhat unrealistic) improvement in skill. We have a long way to go before we CAN be premiership contenders. I'm not saying people think we are premiership contenders this year. Just that this type of improvement alone inevitably leads us to that point.

Being competitive, to winning more than you lose, to being able to beat the top sides, to being able to win a flag are giant steps. Passing one level doesn't guarantee the next level.

Basically i don't want people to get too excited about Barker simply because we show some competitiveness.

They're playing for him but right now no way he should be signed now. He goes through the process like every other prospective coach. He's at the advantage (or disadvantage if we go crap) of having a hands on job interview but this time we goes though the process of interviews from the start. If Barker's the best man for the job after that then so be it but not before.

Reply #141
For starters, we lost, sit at 17th on the ladder with one win, recorded out of Australia!

There's your answer.....relocation!!!