Skip to main content
Topic: Round 10: Carlton vs Adelaide After Game Thread (Read 43475 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: After Game Thread v Crowsfor.

Reply #15
Is the fitness guru good enough to stay on?  Boys were on the ground cramping up all over the place

We're just not used to running out a hard game for 4 qtrs. No amount of training will substitute for that.

Reply #16
Better effort but the scoreline flattered us. We lost by 9 points and they had 9 more scoring shots.

Sorry mate, not right. Inside 50s were almost identical. Statistically pretty even. They scored more from our errors than we did theirs. And we lost a key mid early. The scoreline did not flatter us. Could have been a 3-5 goal loss, and just as easily we could have won.

You have to give credit where it is due and our boys deserve acknowledgment for a much improved effort in all respects. Now to continue to improve.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #18
A most entertaining game of football, with great pressure from each side and the extremes of good and bad skills on display. The sequence where walker didn't quite get the ball over the line was one of the wackier bits of play I've seen in my time.

Murphy stood tall today, with a great performance. He was well supported by Henderson,  cripps, bell as the stand outs for me. Good to see Kruezer back and take some strong marks, along with Casboult who is starting to look like a real footballer.

Skill errors though are the killer and some awful turnovers from defence. Carrazzo had a couple of shockers along with Simpson whose preference for his left foot is the difference between him being a very good player and just a brave ordinary player. It frustrates me no end that such an experienced player still struggles to kick both sides of his body and has to turn to get onto his left.

At least our set up was more up to date with a spare man in defence for a period, then moving to more one on one as the game progresses.

Umpiring stunk today, with poor decisions going each way. Paying Casboult that mark deep forward was ridiculous and the holding the ball decisions are now providing too much reward for tackles. Its a case where the umpires are required to adjudicate to force a style of game to be played rather than the rules themselves.

This is the intensity level required as a minimum for the rest of the year. Now the skills nedd to lift to get a better return from effort. Such a shame for Judd to get a knee injury, and it could be a truly underwhelming end for a champion of the game.

By the way, we saw why Betts, great forward pocket that he is, still couldn't provide run in the middle when it was needed.

Re: After Game Thread v Crows

Reply #20
1st game I haven't watched in ages.

Looking at the stats, it's nice to see Casboult kicked straight, and Kreuzer get on the board with a couple.

It looks like Murph led from the front.

51 tackles is still a bit low, gotta keep working on that one.

Very sad about Juddy.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #21
We both should have won but deserved to lose.
The umpires helped tip the balance though with a few howlers today.
Tragic way for Judd to bow out, it would have been nice to get over the line for him.

Reply #22
1st game I haven't watched in ages.

Looking at the stats, it's nice to see Casboult kicked straight, and Kreuzer get on the board with a couple.

It looks like Murph led from the front.

51 tackles is still a bit low, gotta keep working on that one.

Very sad about Juddy.

Agree - tackle technique and effort needs work.

Gutted about Juddy. He's been treated very well by CFC (as he rightly should), but I do wonder what he really thinks about us deep down.

Reply #23
That is Carlton football. Break neck speed, playing on, running in waves. That was why we got the Friday night spots because we were entertaining to watch. The game plan has its faults like being out position when turnovers occur, however this is the game that gives these players a chance to win and compete.

Reply #24
Beaten but far from disgraced !!

Today, the Carlton Football Club drew a line in the sand, there was serious attack on the contest all game & 100% effort from everyone in the team, makes you proud to be a Blues fan doesn't it ??

I'll put up with losing if that is the standard of performance we get from the players, they were committed and desperate, cannot fault that approach especially when you take into account the season we've had thus far.

Where has "that" Marc Murphy been all year ?? Best game for 12-months.

Also, nice to have a big bodied player in the forward line who can take a pack mark and kick straight, Kreuzer has been badly missed.

Casboult's witchdoctor is working wonders, cannot believe he nailed that banana from the wrong pocket. There is definite improvement in his kicking accuracy, still has the occasional yip (that shot on the run then went OOF) but I don't look away like I used to. You know, if he keeps up this level of improvement, he may just make it as a genuine player.

Graham & Buckley showed why playing the younger players works for us, they have youthful enthusiasm and attack all the time, its an infectious quality.

This close tussle suited Bell's bullish game-style, he did very well as did Simpson, in fact it was hard to find a "poor" player for us today and its been long while since I've been able to write that.

Judd's career ended today which is sad, he won't come back in 12-months time, crap way to end a stellar career but that's football.

One thing that stood out last week and again today was the move of Everitt to the forward-line in a permanent role. He is a good lead, good mark and good kick at goal, he looks like a natural in this position.

Kudos to Barker for that one.

Also, how good was it when Kreuzer marked and goaled and all of the players got around him, that is team spirit, something that has been missing for some time. It also happened again when King Tutt laid that strong tackle on Sloane, inspirational acts that were acknowledged by the rest of the team.

Bloody good stuff methinks !!

Whilst we had the effort, our players are either not experienced enough or just plainly lack the skill-set, to carry out the basics with precision & consistency. Some of the younger players will get better with another 30-40 games under their belt whilst the older ones with the skill deficiencies will be replaced by others who do.

We have the nucleus of a decent team, we saw it out there today, we just lack some polish in the middle plus some important key position players.

It will get better in time though as we turn over the list. Small steps today, but at least they were in the right direction and certainly give us some much needed hope for the future.

Lastly, what was the reason for todays improved performance, the change of coach or the change of game-plan or a combination of both ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #26

Today, the Carlton Football Club drew a line in the sand, there was serious attack on the contest all game & 100% effort from everyone in the team, makes you proud to be a Blues fan doesn't it ??

I'll put up with losing if that is the standard of performance we get from the players, they were committed and desperate, cannot fault that approach especially when you take into account the season we've had thus far.

Where has "that" Marc Murphy been all year ?? Best game for 12-months.

Also, nice to have a big bodied player in the forward line who can take a pack mark and kick straight, Kreuzer has been badly missed.

Casboult's witchdoctor is working wonders, cannot believe he nailed that banana from the wrong pocket. There is definite improvement in his kicking accuracy, still has the occasional yip (that shot on the run then went OOF) but I don't look away like I used to. You know, if he keeps up this level of improvement, he may just make it as a genuine player.

Graham & Buckley showed why playing the younger players works for us, they have youthful enthusiasm and attack all the time, its an infectious quality.

This close tussle suited Bell's bullish game-style, he did very well as did Simpson, in fact it was hard to find a "poor" player for us today and its been long while since I've been able to write that.

Judd's career ended today which is sad, he won't come back in 12-months time, crap way to end a stellar career but that's football.

One thing that stood out last week and again today was the move of Everitt to the forward-line in a permanent role. He is a good lead, good mark and good kick at goal, he looks like a natural in this position.

Kudos to Barker for that one.

Also, how good was it when Kreuzer marked and goaled and all of the players got around him, that is team spirit, something that has been missing for some time. It also happened again when King Tutt laid that strong tackle on Sloane, inspirational acts that were acknowledged by the rest of the team.

Bloody good stuff methinks !!

Whilst we had the effort, our players are either not experienced enough or just plainly lack the skill-set, to carry out the basics with precision & consistency. Some of the younger players will get better with another 30-40 games under their belt whilst the older ones with the skill deficiencies will be replaced by others who do.

We have the nucleus of a decent team, we saw it out there today, we just lack some polish in the middle plus some important key position players.

It will get better in time though as we turn over the list. Small steps today, but at least they were in the right direction and certainly give us some much needed hope for the future.

Lastly, what was the reason for todays improved performance, the change of coach or the change of game-plan or a combination of both ??

Fair summary.
I don't know the definitive answer to your question.

Reply #27

It does but it was also at times our best and worst for the year. The Crippler throwing the opposition out of the way, Simpson playing on pure guts, Murphy's captain's efforts, the Boult's big marks and goals and the return of Kreuzer were all amazing to see. But the constant kicking backwards, short & inaccurate kicks as we try to bring it in after a point and the slapstick performances at times in the forward line also killed me.

There is hope though. Port and the Suns after bye, if we bring that same effort with just a minor reduction in errors there is definitely a chance.

Reply #28
Just got back from the game.  Main difference that I could see today was that we ran, and ran, and ran. Probably why we were cramping up - we're not used to it.

They kicked poorly for goal, and we kicked poorly full stop. The mistakes lessened in the second half - just in time for the umpires to step in and see frees that would have been overlooked in a hectic GF.  3 direct goals from umpiring mistakes in the last q were gut wrenching.

Vale Chris Judd. Welcome Patrick Cripps.  Welcome back Matty K. I'd written him off. Has to string it together now (please, please, please).

Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #29
That sort of effort is what we should see every week. A few skill errors let us down. The umpire at the Punt Rd end made a couple of howlers that cost us goals. Apart from the obvious ones, I think Graham played pretty well and showed he has good hands and is a steady kick on the run. Loved Cripps', Simpson's and Murphy's games. Let's see if we can put some wins together after the bye.