Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 13: Northern Blues vs. Richmond on TV (Read 22972 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 13: Northern Blues vs. Richmond on TV

Reply #15
GOALS: Johnson 2, Viojo, Watson, Jaksch.
DISPOSALS: Wilkinson 32, Walsh 23, Whiley 22, McGuinness 22, Cattapan 21, Dick 20

Wilko played his best game for the Blues today. Walsh was good, but he lacked a little poise today. Whiley tries hard, but I don't think he is going to be more than a VFL player.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #16
I thought Foster showed a bit today.  He has a way to go but I think that he could develop into a reasonable player.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
I thought Foster showed a bit today.  He has a way to go but I think that he could develop into a reasonable player.
yes. he found it difficult up forward but was pretty good in defence.

Byrne:   Won’t be long before he is back in the seniors. He was a bit rusty, but he shows what a lot of our guys do not: desire.
Jaksch:   Probably his best VFL game, with a brilliant 1st quarter and total dominance over his opponent. He went forward and gave a target with 1 goal 1 behind when we were being pounded.
Rowe:   Spent a lot of time in the ruck and did it pretty well.
Viojo Rainbow:   Did more than he has been, but he fell out of the game when we needed him. He isn’t hard enough at the ball.
Dick:   Solid. Probably will get some senior games soon, but I am not expecting miracles from him.
Jones:   A very big mistake. I would have loved to have picked up Caleb Daniel instead.
Boekhorst:   Not impressive today. Did very little.
Watson:   Looked dangerous, but didn’t do enough.
Foster:   Promising, especially in defence when Rowe went into the ruck.
Johnson:   Drifted out of the game after a promising start.
Whiley:   tried hard but lacks pace and poise.
Walsh:   Not his best game, but he is showing enough to be positive about him. He gets into the packs and gives a good contest.
Smith:   Showed me a lot more today than he has recently. He is still far too light and can’t hold a tackle, but he put in hard, took some risks and generally kept his man out of the game while getting more of it himself.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
Based on the game today if you were looking at promoting one of the talls Crash...who would get the nod?

Reply #19
Jaksch by a mile.  Byrne also after another run, looked a cut above the rest.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #20

I agree with that and I would add Foster as one to watch.

Of course, Rowe has to come back in.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
X2.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #22

The website says Byrnes game time was managed.

Makes his game even better.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #23
The website says Byrnes game time was managed.

Makes his game even better.

Yes his game and that of Jaksch were the standouts for me. Rowe was OK too.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #24
Jaksch was very good and should probably play seniors next week, I didn't see Fields' VFL form but he's well short of AFL at this stage judging by Friday night and Jaksch should get his spot comfortably.
Rowe will surely play next week either if Jamison doesn't come up or in White's place, but there's not much else in the VFL to get excited about if today's game was any guide even allowing for the conditions.
Smith goes hard but he's rough around the edges, Vojo looks skilful enough but doesn't go hard like Smith, Boekhorst isn't much chop, Whiley is a good workhorse who might have a future if he puts in the hard yards, none of the others look like AFL players except Byrne.
The only regulars missing from Friday night were Walks, Docherty and Rowe and every club will have two or three missing at any given time, our list is very weak.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #25
Based on the game today if you were looking at promoting one of the talls Crash...who would get the nod?
Rowe will probably come in Jamo. Jaksch could well get promoted and maybe even play forward.
Fields: bit hard to judge on a single performance in hard conditions, but he is better matched up against guys who are a bit shorter. The really tall forwards get him because he doesn't appear to have the height or the spring.
I'd actually like to see him play on a wing in the seniors to see if he can play a more attacking role. Can't see it happening, but who knows?

I would not be playing Menzel: if he is 100% fit, then I'm Adolf Hitler. We are getting nothing from him: he shouldn't be there. Get him fit and get his head right and get him ready for 2016! If he is really 100% fit, I'll contact the Russians and say they burnt the wrong body. Then I'd put him up for trade.

I wouldn't be playing Tutt either. He can't hold a tackle and he panics. He doesn't go hard enough. I'd promote Byrne, but I think he will play a whole game in the VFL next week and maybe the week later. Hopefully he will have run into form and fitness by then. In the mean time we may give Dick another go, not in the back pocket!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #26
Lousy game to watch but wet weather tells you a lot about your players because kicks dont come easy...

Best for us were Jaksch, Byrne and Walsh IMO...

Jaksch: more accomplished than his teammates and is better than VFL footy, skills are not the issue, its just when he gets to senior footy he gets
caught out vs the bigger KP players who have more kegs on their frame and can push him around...
Mcbean or Mr Bean didnt touch the footy when KJ was on him but when Jaksch got moved forward he got away from Foster who doesnt have the nous.

Byrne...bit rusty but has some style and zip to his game, is composed and uses the ball well and would be in my senior team next week as the sub.

Walsh...ok I like the kid and probably overstate his abilities but he contests well, has some nous about what he is doing and apart from one sloppy left foot kick usually finds a teammate..for a WA kid he did well in the wet and was fairly clean with the ball...

Dick...better when he can take the game on but lacks footy smarts which is what the three players above have, second efforts are not that great and he fumbles
too much for mine...

Smith....has a go and wasnt our worst player.....ball use isnt great by foot and he can turn it over but he does contest well and will stick up for his mates.
There is something there to work with...

Foster...long was off senior footy, lacks know how and needs some more meat on the bones..

Boekhorst...wet weather means lots of contested footy which doesnt suit the Boeky man who is your outside running mid...used the ball ok when he did get it but
he didnt get a lot of footy and I looked at him closely on one occasion when he did get the ball and he has that look of a player who wants back home to
the safety of the WAFL and I am not sure he is committed enough to make it in the AFL.

Viojo Rainbow...skillful left footer in the Menzel mode but like Boeky doesnt like too much contested ball or having to graft for his kicks.....very lightly built and
needs plenty of gym work...

Rowe..for a senior player didnt do enough IMO and I wanst impressed all be it the weather didnt help big blokes today....

Jones...not much from him and alas looks like a trade bust.....

Johnson...good VFL player, was ok in parts but doesnt do enough...next

Whiley...got plenty of ball but did nothing with it, disposal is atrocious...lacks nous and smarts but does contest and tag well...

Watto, couldnt get much of the footy given the weather and congested play..kicked one nice goal, led ok but wasnt a factor though delivery too him was woeful and lacking....

Thomas, McQaulter being ex senior players took over in the middle for the Tigers and we fell away....

Reply #27
Smith....has a go and wasnt our worst player.....ball use isnt great by foot and he can turn it over but he does contest well and will stick up for his mates.
There is something there to work with...

I'd give some serious thought to making a small forward out of him.
He's quick, tough and can tackle, no one would be getting easy kicks on him and our options at the moment seem to be Armfield and Ellard.
His kicking action is fine so there's no reason he couldn't be an accurate shot at goal, we haven't got anything to lose by giving him a crack.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #28
looks like a real sad state of affairs, Boekhoerst , Jones , Tutt, Smith, Whiley, Dick all seem to be list cloggers and all on the books for next year I believe. Going to cost. To clear them, or restrict being able to move forward quicker. Add to that , Watson ( would love him to be there but enough chances it's time) Johnson , 206, and that's a quarter of our list that can't make a mark in the seniors, no wonder we are struggling . Looking like a long road back at the moment.

Reply #29
Posters keep focussing on poor marking, but the real problem is poor disposal. The best marks in the league would look ordinary under our kicking regime.

Casboult is a great mark, but struggles to get more than 5 or 6 a game even with several contested marks. That is because we can't kick, and neither can the NBs. Blokes like Casboult and Watson end up marking on the HBF, when they should be marking around the F50.
The Force Awakens!