Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 13: Northern Blues vs. Richmond on TV (Read 22973 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 13: Northern Blues vs. Richmond on TV

Reply #30
I agree on Jaksch and Byrne. Probably the only two that look like making the grade at this stage. Foster wasn't bad either.

I don't think you can play both Fields and White in defence. I'd move Hendo back and give Jaksch a go up forward. I'm not sold on both Kreuzer and Wood in the same side either.

Reply #31
I agree on Jaksch and Byrne. Probably the only two that look like making the grade at this stage. Foster wasn't bad either.

I don't think you can play both Fields and White in defence. I'd move Hendo back and give Jaksch a go up forward. I'm not sold on both Kreuzer and Wood in the same side either.

Apart from your last point, I think that's pretty well spot on.

I'm not sure that they have really worked out the Kreuzer-Wood ruck combination, or should that be the Kreuzer-Wood-Casboult ruck combination?  However, both Kreuzer and Wood do enough around the ground and win enough hitouts to trouble teams that rely on one ruckman and a part timer.  A little more thought needs to be put into how they work together and separately, how and where they rest and how to get the best value from the 'third man up'. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
Apart from your last point, I think that's pretty well spot on.

I'm not sure that they have really worked out the Kreuzer-Wood ruck combination, or should that be the Kreuzer-Wood-Casboult ruck combination?  However, both Kreuzer and Wood do enough around the ground and win enough hitouts to trouble teams that rely on one ruckman and a part timer.  A little more thought needs to be put into how they work together and separately, how and where they rest and how to get the best value from the 'third man up'.

Yeah, I like both of them around the ground but they're hopeless up forward. Especially Wood.

Reply #33

Alas, beggars can't be choosers. We have 2 fit ruckmen and that is it. They both have to play, unless we sacrifice one and run him into the ground and fill in with Casboult.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #34
Here are the stats:

Ciaran Byrne had 18 possessions in less than 3 quarters on the ground. That is what we were missing for all those weeks.
We killed them in the ruck, yet didn't get much advantage out of it. They had the sort of mids in Cachia and Thomas who do well in those conditions.
Rowe having 14 possessions was probably not enough, although he was positively dynamic compared to Jones (9 possessions and only 2 kicks).
Even in the wet a conversion rate of barely 30 % is the sort of things nightmares are made from.
That Watson had 7 marks in the conditions was excellent. But 1 goal...

2015 Peter Jackson VFL
Northern Blues   2.2  3.6  4.6  5.9 (39)
Richmond Tigers   2.0  2.3  4.4  9.9 (63)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Johnson 2 Jaksch  Watson  Viojo
Richmond Tigers: McBean 2 Astbury 2 McKenzie  Scott  Cachia  McDONOUGH  Knights

BEST:
Northern Blues: Bransgrove Whiley Walsh Dick Wilkinson Jaksch
Richmond Tigers: Thomas Kruse Astbury McKenzie McDONOUGH Barlow
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #35
I can't wait to see Byrne in the seniors. I truly believe he will be a great player for us and for many seasons. He just has what it takes and will develop into a player at least as good as Docherty. IMO only.  ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #36
Byrne moves well, is proactive and dynamic and kicks well... a lot to like.  He is taller than Docherty which will make him an even handier player.

Boekhorst didn't look interested and didn't get dirty in a game that needed people to go in an get it in average handling conditions.

Foster looked horribly inexperienced in defence but has pace, height and kicking ability ... again something to work with.

D V-R looks looks as thin as a reed and his attack on the contest and man is lacking at this point in time... but gees can he kick.  He looks to be all class but his body will need a lot of development before he is ready for senior level.

Jones was horrid...   flying one handed for speccies when it was hammering down and hard enough to take chest marks, a couple of the worst handballs you will ever see... the story just keeps getting worse.

I wasn't impressed with Whiley, who should have revelled in the conditions... many of his disposals were "invisible" and I was surprised to see he got so many stats.  He looks like a "jumper chaser" i.e. a good tackler who is second to the ball but he doesn't appear to have much of an offensive game.

Walsh isn't big but he goes in hard and looks like a solid sort of a mid, although his kicking can be a bit scruffy.  Suspect he will be handy footsoldier in time.

Of the tigers' kids I liked Rhy Mackenzie who rucked and played up forwards pretty effectively IMO. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #37
Does Aurrichio ever kick the ball?

He is a big lump of a lad and doesn't mind going in hard but I wanted to see if he has mastered kicking.  I believe that he played in the USA so he should know the basics.

He is an effective knock ruckman at VFL level.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38
Byrne moves well, is proactive and dynamic and kicks well... a lot to like.  He is taller than Docherty which will make him an even handier player.

Boekhorst didn't look interested and didn't get dirty in a game that needed people to go in an get it in average handling conditions.

Foster looked horribly inexperienced in defence but has pace, height and kicking ability ... again something to work with.

D V-R looks looks as thin as a reed and his attack on the contest and man is lacking at this point in time... but gees can he kick.  He looks to be all class but his body will need a lot of development before he is ready for senior level.

Jones was horrid...   flying one handed for speccies when it was hammering down and hard enough to take chest marks, a couple of the worst handballs you will ever see... the story just keeps getting worse.

I wasn't impressed with Whiley, who should have revelled in the conditions... many of his disposals were "invisible" and I was surprised to see he got so many stats.  He looks like a "jumper chaser" i.e. a good tackler who is second to the ball but he doesn't appear to have much of an offensive game.

Walsh isn't big but he goes in hard and looks like a solid sort of a mid, although his kicking can be a bit scruffy.  Suspect he will be handy footsoldier in time.

Of the tigers' kids I liked Rhy Mackenzie who rucked and played up forwards pretty effectively IMO.

Would've rathered take a punt on him than Liam Jones. His old man played 67 games for Carlton and apparently we had been following Reece since he was 16 and playing Basketball. Tigers got him at pick 77. >:(

Reply #39
Would've rathered take a punt on him than Liam Jones. His old man played 67 games for Carlton and apparently we had been following Reece since he was 16 and playing Basketball. Tigers got him at pick 77. >:(

Agree...both McKenzie and Astbury looked far more accomplished than Jones who tried to play dry weather footy....McKenzie plays in front and and is nice kick for goal also shows some physcial attitude and can throw his weight around. Astbury can play both ends and is similar to Jaksch in style..

Jones just lacks nous and while he is athletic he doesnt have a football brain...

Reply #40
whiley and jones ,our recruiting dept got totally stooged,duded,sucked in, those two players would not get a game for there previous club yet we recruit them. JOKE

Reply #41
There were many on this site who wanted Mackenzie... or anybody... instead of Jones.  At the time I was ropable that we didn't draft Mackenzie but Foster has something to work with.  He has that touch of pace that many bigger blokes lack and has some football nous.  When he fills out he will be a large unit.

Not convinced by the likes of Astbury, MacBean etc but at least the Tigers have blokes in the 2's on slow heat.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #42
There were many on this site who wanted Mackenzie... or anybody... instead of Jones.  At the time I was ropable that we didn't draft Mackenzie but Foster has something to work with.  He has that touch of pace that many bigger blokes lack and has some football nous.  When he fills out he will be a large unit.

Not convinced by the likes of Astbury, MacBean etc but at least the Tigers have blokes in the 2's on slow heat.

I think you're right about Foster Prof.  He actually looks like a footballer while Jones, Watson and a few of our recent additions don't give that impression at all.

Foster may take a season or two but I think he is the most promising of our new talls, Jacksh included.

Reply #43
Does Aurrichio ever kick the ball?

He is a big lump of a lad and doesn't mind going in hard but I wanted to see if he has mastered kicking.  I believe that he played in the USA so he should know the basics.

He is an effective knock ruckman at VFL level.
He goes out f his way to handball at the moment. To be honest, I haven't seen him kick since he the preseason. I have no idea how good or bad he is at the moment.
His ruck work is coming along nicely. He is good at the centre bounce because he has a very good leap. He is learning to use his body and strength at boundary throw ins, but he has some way to go in this area.
He is the opposite of Cox of Collingwood (another American), who was hopeless at the centre bounce, but very good at boundary throw ins and body work. He really tossed Casboult around like an unwanted ragdoll.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #44
He goes out f his way to handball at the moment. To be honest, I haven't seen him kick since he the preseason. I have no idea how good or bad he is at the moment.
His ruck work is coming along nicely. He is good at the centre bounce because he has a very good leap. He is learning to use his body and strength at boundary throw ins, but he has some way to go in this area.
He is the opposite of Cox of Collingwood (another American), who was hopeless at the centre bounce, but very good at boundary throw ins and body work. He really tossed Casboult around like an unwanted ragdoll.

That shouldn't happen!  I know Casboult can lift heavy weights but our fitness and conditioning people should be working on improving his ability to out-muscle opponents.  And not just Casboult, our whole team is too easily pushed aside in one on one contests.