Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 17: Northern Blues vs. Collingwood at the MCG (Read 19149 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 17: Northern Blues vs. Collingwood at the MCG

Reply #15
Good luck to Aurrichio, going to be a long day for him.......the Pies Witts and Cox are around 7ft nearly, then they have Gault also to throw in the ruck....need some rain and the ball on the deck more...

Reply #16
It's bad luck we can't get Korcheck out there and give him instructions to get physical with the opposition.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
Will be interesting EB to see who tries... I reckon we could just about name the best right now and we'd get most of 'em right.

Shift Watson to defense and let White beat up somebody his own size, seriously, he can't be any faster than Watson can he?

Gees it would nice to have some quality senior types at the NBs to guide the kids... our development is a deadest joke.
Alas, Prof, White actually does have real pace. His issues are between his ears. Watson would be left in his wake.

But I agree totally with your last point: we need some experienced heads out there to guide our kids. Back in the day we had that, and our kids prospered. Now we have kids who barely know what they are doing trying to provide leadership and not knowing what it is about.
We made an extremely good decision to recruit McGuinness as an assistant coach and player for the NBs this year. It is a pity that he is injured, but he was the sort of guy we needed back there. A couple more guys like that who care and who have the ability to guide our kids is exactly what we need. Not some showboat who is after the money and who doesn't put in: the old Bullants had guys like that when the alignment started. We need hard, resilient heads who can show our kids what they must do.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
Sorry guys, I'm not feeling the love for young Rice... One game with our mob should reinforce that the saints have a bright future ????

...I do hope I'm wrong !! ????
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #19
Will be interesting EB to see who tries... I reckon we could just about name the best right now and we'd get most of 'em right.

Shift Watson to defense and let White beat up somebody his own size, seriously, he can't be any faster than Watson can he?

Gees it would nice to have some quality senior types at the NBs to guide the kids... our development is a deadest joke.
We only have 28 to pick from apparently for the senior side, so i guessing you won't see much in the NBs.

Reply #20
We only have 28 to pick from apparently for the senior side, so i guessing you won't see much in the NBs.

There are 12 AFL listed players in the NBs (although Whiley is also named in the Carlton side).  Still, only 33 to choose from limits our options.

As others have suggested, we have let too many experienced players depart the NBs.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
There are 12 AFL listed players in the NBs (although Whiley is also named in the Carlton side).  Still, only 33 to choose from limits our options.

As others have suggested, we have let too many experienced players depart the NBs.
We will be making this exact argument about our AFL seniors in 2-3 years.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
10 goal loss

Jones played defense.

Yarran gave little. Menzel tried. Theres nothing else to comment on.

Reply #23
Wow sad to hear that , nothing to bring up from the 2's

Reply #24
How did Rice go?

Reply #25
How did Rice go?

FULL TIME: Collingwood 21.10.136, Northern Blues 10.8.68

From the  Northern Blue twitter feed

Cristian Filippo ‏@C_Filippo23 2h2 hours ago

Potential @CarltonFC father-son pick Bailey Rice collected 12 disposals in his VFL debut for @NBluesFC. Looks a likely, composed type.

GOALS: Watson 2, Johnson, Menzel, Jaksch, Wilson, Murray, Walton, Viojo-Rainbow, Armitage

Reply #26
2015 Peter Jackson VFL
Collingwood   7.0  11.3  18.7  21.10 (136)
Northern Blues   2.5  4.6  7.7  10.8 (68)

GOALS:
Collingwood: White 4 Karnezis 3 Williams 2 Cox 2 Gray 2 Seedsman 2 Hellier  Moloney  Blair  Matheson  Taylor  Witts
Northern Blues: Watson 2 Jaksch  Armitage  Murray  Wilson  Walton  Johnson  Menzel  Viojo

BEST:
Collingwood: Kennedy White Karnezis Taylor Williams Witts
Northern Blues: Strachan Cattapan Dick Menzel Walsh Murray

Our 'best players' tells a tale and it isn't a good one. It is good to see Strachan and Cattapan mentioned as our best, but they are a long way from superstars. That suggests that not much was produced by the guys who needed to produce, like Yarran, Jaksch, Watson and Tutt (to mention a few).
It was always going to be hard when they were clear winners in the ruck department and they did have more talent on the field. However, you do expect more.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #27
How did Rice go?
Considering how much pressure our defence was under all day, you would have to say that Rice did pretty well. He gathered 12 possessions, mostly handballs, and kept his small forward quiet. He probably didn't know everyone's name either.
The thing you notice about him is that he has real poise and good decision making, something terribly lacking in the seniors at the moment. He also has a much bigger body than many smalls, and it isn't pork. that will also hold him in good stead.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #28

The stats do tell an interesting tale, and not a pleasant one. 7 of the top 8 ranked players were Collingwood players (although the rankings are questionable). We won less than half the taps that Collingwood did and our disposal efficiency was poor. We simply needed more talent out there.
We matched them with tackles and kept a lot of their players quiet. But we turned the ball over too easily and were slain on the rebound.
Sounds familiar?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #29
Matt Dick:   Did very well in the first half but was less conspicuous after half time. He looked good enough to give him a go instead of Smith. 23 possessions.
Matthew Watson:
I don’t see how Watson has not been able to get a game when Jones has got games, to be honest. He has his issues: pace, being the most obvious. But he actually has been taking some reasonable marks and he does lead. He managed 13 possessions and usually did something with them. He also spent time in the ruck to spell Auricchio. Not our worst by a long shot.
Brad Walsh:   Very quiet early in the game, but got into it more after half time. Of the kids left in the NB’s, he looks to have value.
Troy Menzel:   Played mostly in the midfield and did a decent job, especially in the first half. I’d still play him in the NB’s next week, but he responded well to being dropped.
He is not 100%. He can’t be. His tank let him down, as it has all season.
Blaine Johnson:   13 possessions was just not enough. Didn’t look dangerous enough.
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow:   Pretty reasonable after half time, but I don’t think he got a possession in the first half. I am really worried about him.
David Ellard:   Had a very quiet game for him at this level. He really didn’t do much and looked proppy.
Chris Yarran:   He didn’t have the intensity required and his skills were just not on show. 11 possessions, after spending time both forward and back, wasn’t enough for a player as good as he is. We really need to get into his head, as this was just unacceptable for a guy like him.
Kristian Jaksch:   Did a good negative job, but provided little drive from defence and didn’t do much when moved forward. Probably his least effective effort in some time. However, he did keep his opponents very quiet.
For mine, he goes to ground too easily.
Liam Jones:   Spent time in defence and did a reasonable job, but gave no drive at all and fell over too often. Maybe he will make a defender, and maybe the horse will learn how to sing.
Live Long and Prosper!