Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 17: Northern Blues vs. Collingwood at the MCG (Read 19151 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 17: Northern Blues vs. Collingwood at the MCG

Reply #30

Dillon Viojo-Rainbow:   Pretty reasonable after half time, but I don’t think he got a possession in the first half. I am really worried about him.

Liam Jones:   Spent time in defence and did a reasonable job, but gave no drive at all and fell over too often. Maybe he will make a defender, and maybe the horse will learn how to sing.

First sign of hope I have seen from Viojo to suggest there might be a pot of gold to be found sometime in the future.

Maybe there will be a singing horse. The closing speed that Jones showed to spoil leading opponents was reminiscent of Jamo when he still had closing speed. Big, strong, fast, not afraid of a physical contest, lacking the tank to play elsewhere - could actually make it as a full back if given a chance to learn an unfamiliar position. Has better physical attributes than Jaksch.

Reply #31
Jones...8 possies and no tackles in a team that was pumped and the ball was down his end most of the game.....he is a dud with zero nous and you cant teach nous....

Walsh, Dick, and Menzel aside there wasnt much joy in the NB's this week....Yarran couldnt be bothered and Jaksch looks a shadow of the player that towelled up Henderson when playing for GWS...

Reply #32
RiverRat. I have been banging on for some time about teaching Jones to be a defender. At least we may get some return from him in the squad. Jamo won't last forever. Jones doesn't know how to play as a forward. It isn't in his DNA. How Mick saw something in this guy is beyond me.

PUT JONES DOWN BACK in our senior side, and LEAVE HIM THERE to learn how to be an AFL footballer. Pleeeesa FFS.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #33
RiverRat. I have been banging on for some time about teaching Jones to be a defender. At least we may get some return from him in the squad. Jamo won't last forever. Jones doesn't know how to play as a forward. It isn't in his DNA. How Mick saw something in this guy is beyond me.

PUT JONES DOWN BACK in our senior side, and LEAVE HIM THERE to learn how to be an AFL footballer. Pleeeesa FFS.

If we don't do that then the investment in him will be a complete write-off, so we have to give it a try.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #34

Unfortunately, you have to be able to play a bit to be an AFL defender or forward and Jones just isn't up to it.  He could play as a forward, defender or even in the midfield for years and still not improve.

The Bulldogs learnt that he wasn't an AFL footballer and the other 16 clubs wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.  Adding Jones to our list is one of the most inexplicable list management decisions we have made this century.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #35
Jones...8 possies and no tackles in a team that was pumped and the ball was down his end most of the game.....he is a dud with zero nous and you cant teach nous....

On the other hand - you can't teach the physical attributes that Jones has - just look at Watson.

Jamo is already on the down side of his career and has lost his great closing speed. Most others don't have it and are not likely to - Paul Bower was probably the last tall defender that we had who had great closing speed.

Reply #36
Bower. Please do not mention him as an AFL player. He was something I don't want to say. Deer in the headlights at best.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #37

Let's just cut our losses with this dud. Remebmer Mick telling us he would be unstoppable at the start of the year? How laughable. At least Watson can use the ball, his defensive efforts cant be any worse than the germophobe.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #38
Re Jones - I was happy to see Jones at FB. I have been calling for this since it feels like round 1 or 2 when it was obvious back then he needed a change of position to learn more (an old fashion football education if you will) and to learn how to work. The physical attributed Jones possesses will should give him a decent chance to become a lock-down FB for starters.

I'd keep him there 100% and see what happens at VFL level for the remainder of the year. I'm not opposed to playing him at FB at AFL level before the seasons done either.

Re V-R - you don't cut a kid like him just yet. He's struggled yes but what an environment to introduce a kid into. He needs another year before we get hasty and start pruning players like him. His kicking is excellent and he moves well. Low confidence playing in a rabble team under a poor coach, zero development work into these kids it appears and we are a rabble AFL club too. Some kids will go okay early and some won't. I'll back him in for next year.

Reply #39
Perhaps this weeks game against the Lions is an opportunity to trial him at fullback? Seems ideal and we've nothing to lose.

Reply #40
I'd play him at full back on Jeremy Cameron and Roughy in the last 2 games of the year. Give him an idea of what it takes to be a gun forward.

Reply #41
Let's just cut our losses with this dud. Remebmer Mick telling us he would be unstoppable at the start of the year? How laughable. At least Watson can use the ball, his defensive efforts cant be any worse than the germophobe.

Speaking of duds and laughable - it's a shame Watson can't get the ball unless it is served to him on a plate. ;)

Reply #42
Speaking of duds and laughable - it's a shame Watson can't get the ball unless it is served to him on a plate. ;)

As opposed to Jones not getting it full stop.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #44
I'd play him at full back on Jeremy Cameron and Roughy in the last 2 games of the year. Give him an idea of what it takes to be a gun forward.

"The Fevola experience" :D

It might sew up that desired draft pick ;D

....but seriously, nothing to lose.
Give him a few more games in that position in the VFL then the last couple in the seniors.