Skip to main content
Topic: The Hard Road To The Premiership  (Read 60592 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Hard Road To The Premiership

Reply #210
I think most accept that rebuilds take time and when turning over so many of the list over a short period of time, you can't expect success before a lot of pain.

My beef and I'm sure others agree is the so called senior players that skill set is appauling.

Thomas, white, kerridge are not AFL standard. These 3 in particular turned it over time and time again and missed targets local players would hit.

Practice match or not we have been hammered 2 weeks
In a row and when your a proud club starved of success and trying to build belief within supporters and inturn get membership numbers to grow.... well blind freddie can tell you watching that crap today doesn't do the club in any shape or form any favors on any front.

Reply #211
Actually a poster on another site said he spoke to a former player today. Said Bolts was very good at turning kids into much better kids but not so good at turning them into senior footballers. Hope he's wrong.

Not directed at you laj. But how many times has Bolts had the opportunity to turn kids into senior footballers?
Local footy aside, he's only in pre-primary.... We need to give him a go. Pretty sure that's what the Neil Craig appointment was about. Bolts is exactly what our club needed IMO. Put the likes of SOS and Juddy in the mix and, well, anythings possible.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #212
Bolton is still learning his trade, he needs to grow as a coach like the players have to grow and develop....not an easy job for anyone after Hughes, Rogers and MM screwed up the list...

On the latter, whom was recently knighted by our arch enemy :o
We've cleared the clog of the Tutts, Smiths, Whileys et al. We've still to bide time with the love child, KJ, and perhaps others. Boeky, may add to that list - but I'm happy to give him this year. I've likely missed some.
We're coming from further behind than the guards van thanks to this legacy. Add in the games the club (board etc) has played, and you're in a big hole.

I'm behind Bolts 100%. I'd really hope others can resist the urge of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Unlike his predecessor (quote "can't see us losing a game"  :o), he's made it crystal clear this is a REBUILD.
In recent times, rather than compare ourselves to GWS, we can look at the saints. If we follow in a similar vein, we're there abouts. As far as the club goes, we're certainly heading in the right direction. Enter the likes of Juddy and we'll start to see daylight in the coming year or two.
Henry Ford.

Reply #213

I'm behind Bolts 100%. I'd really hope others can resist the urge of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Unlike his predecessor (quote "can't see us losing a game"  :o), he's made it crystal clear this is a REBUILD.
Im behind Bolts as much as the next bloke but to be fair, Im fairly sure MM was taking the piss at journos (ie tongue in cheek) when he made the comment.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #214
On the latter, whom was recently knighted by our arch enemy :o
We've cleared the clog of the Tutts, Smiths, Whileys et al. We've still to bide time with the love child, KJ, and perhaps others. Boeky, may add to that list - but I'm happy to give him this year. I've likely missed some.
We're coming from further behind than the guards van thanks to this legacy. Add in the games the club (board etc) has played, and you're in a big hole.

In recent times, rather than compare ourselves to GWS, we can look at the saints. If we follow in a similar vein, we're there abouts. As far as the club goes, we're certainly heading in the right direction. Enter the likes of Juddy and we'll start to see daylight in the coming year or two.

Agree...said before the Saints and Dees were woeful for 2-3 year at the start of their rebuilds but have now got their act together....its about being patient and expecting heavy losses but not dwelling on them and tryingto see the positives...its hard to cop I know but there is no easy fix and success starved fans will start to get nervous.
Its a bit like investing in shares and looking at the long term but expecting volatility along the way and riding the bumps....question is do we have enough fans/members and club officials prepared to ride out the bumps without giving into media pressures and short term thinking.

Reply #215
I like bolts too, he's a no nonsense level headed guy that is a realist.
His message is monotonous not so much from a young playing group, that need it drilled into them, but from a commercial point of view
The market will want to see net gains, save for occasional setbacks.
For perspective, most of this list, weren't in kindergarten when we first started our rebuild!

I hope i don't end up like vic dibitteto this year

Reply #216
Im behind Bolts as much as the next bloke but to be fair, Im fairly sure MM was taking the piss at journos (ie tongue in cheek) when he made the comment.

I get that GIC.
Unfortunately for us, and not mm, the footy world was laughing at CFC. I know that stevo isn't the brightest journo (I.e. no idea what a question is), but he effortlessly provoked responses that were nothing short of defensive (as in ego) and incompetent. Senior coaches should have no trouble facing the media in the modern era. Yet, that's not what was delivered whilst in our club's employ. For mine, as painful as it was watching us get annihilated, I felt more anxious during the post match. I expect we'll find out what was really going on in years to come. I have some ideas of what that book will be titled ;)
Henry Ford.

Reply #217
I get that GIC.
Unfortunately for us, and not mm, the footy world was laughing at CFC. I know that stevo isn't the brightest journo (I.e. no idea what a question is), but he effortlessly provoked responses that were nothing short of defensive (as in ego) and incompetent. Senior coaches should have no trouble facing the media in the modern era. Yet, that's not what was delivered whilst in our club's employ. For mine, as painful as it was watching us get annihilated, I felt more anxious during the post match. I expect we'll find out what was really going on in years to come. I have some ideas of what that book will be titled ;)

The Journo Is Slow, But the Coach is Impatient (and Cranky).

Reply #218
That comment about not seeing where we can lose a game was the best thing Mick said in his time with us. It's obviously not to be taken literally, and obviously trying to engender a positive mood among players and supporters.

Th point was "If you go in thinking you will lose, then you're behind the 8 ball to begin with."

Why all the fuss over a nothing, harmless, throwaway line ?

Lesson learned - don't give the media any extra ammunition. It's bound to come back and bite you on the ar$e.

Reply #219
Not directed at you laj. But how many times has Bolts had the opportunity to turn kids into senior footballers?
Local footy aside, he's only in pre-primary.... We need to give him a go. Pretty sure that's what the Neil Craig appointment was about. Bolts is exactly what our club needed IMO. Put the likes of SOS and Juddy in the mix and, well, anythings possible.
Neil Craig, there is your problem!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #220
Neil Craig, there is your problem!

Not a good mentor??
Henry Ford.

Reply #221
Not a good mentor??

Depends who he mentors. The reports I have is that he spends a lot of time with 1AW and Capuano to mentor the kids, in that case no, because if we judge him by the same criteria many judged Ratten then Craig is a failed AFL coach despite his finals success. We have to be consistent!

If he mentors Bolton, as long as he isn't doing a Malthouse and undermining Bolton, then it's a good role for him!

I'm deadly serious about that undermining comment, AFL is full of egomaniacs and psychopaths who think they should have the top job! Why does that worry me? Craig's ability to survive football club coups is a real worry, that reminds me of others we've had at Carlton relative to those we lost or moved on. It's often the finger-pointers and backstabber's that survive the first cull, because a lot of their effort goes into managing their own position. They are often Garry Lyon types, all talk, opinion, criticism and no action, their victims are often Fevola or Brownless types who are focussed on the job and never know what's happening until the bus hits them! Often it's the good people that walk away!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #222
Depends who he mentors. The reports I have is that he spends a lot of time with 1AW and Capuano to mentor the kids, in that case no, because if we judge him by the same criteria many judged Ratten then Craig is a failed AFL coach despite his finals success. We have to be consistent!

If he mentors Bolton, as long as he isn't doing a Malthouse and undermining Bolton, then it's a good role for him!

I'm deadly serious about that undermining comment, AFL is full of egomaniacs and psychopaths who think they should have the top job! Why does that worry me? Craig's ability to survive football club coups is a real worry, that reminds me of others we've had at Carlton relative to those we lost or moved on. It's often the finger-pointers and backstabber's that survive the first cull, because a lot of their effort goes into managing their own position. They are often Garry Lyon types, all talk, opinion, criticism and no action, their victims are often Fevola or Brownless types who are focussed on the job and never know what's happening until the bus hits them! Often it's the good people that walk away!
I get all that LP but I honestly can't see NC having a desire to be top dog and therefore undermine the senior coach. He is doing the role now he always wanted, still involved in football day to day but imparting his teaching, development and high performance experience training.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #223
Every club Neil Craig goes to prospers only  when he leaves, said this before but what numptie plays Taylor Walker in the SANFL for most of the season....Craig hasnt got a clue IMO and is past his use by date...

Reply #224
Hmmmm some very interesting comments. Can't say I'm familiar with his career. Thankyou.
It sounds like it depends on the breadth of his role.

I can imagine though, as LP pointed out, the battle of the ego's. This phenomenon is present in arguably all large organizations. And yes, has a most powerful and often toxifying effect on culture. I can see that in our recent history >:D

To stay positive, I hope that Bolts get whatever he needs to develop to his potential.
Henry Ford.