Skip to main content
Topic: The Hard Road To The Premiership  (Read 61968 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Hard Road To The Premiership

Reply #60
I think BB will look at all options for him tbh and use him in multiple roles, at least as a lead up forward and in the midfield. I'm confident no stone will be left unturned in trying to maximise his benefit to us. The first half of this coming year will be interesting to see the game plan unfold and the search for the right players to fill the roles.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #61
@ Thryleon

Agree regarding Gibbs, his ideal position has turned out to be a half forward flanker who moves into the midfield not the pure dominant midfielder we thought we were getting. But with Murph I never saw him as a natural winger, his size and shape don't really match the modern day prototype winger ala Smith, Hill or Ebert. Plus not sure if he has the tank of a Smith to cover a wing all day.

However I also think C Curnow could explode like some others have said and be that partner to Cripps in a couple years. I read somewhere where SOS was talking about each premiership team having one draft that really set them up. You can bank on Weitering but if Curnow was to explode then we could be close to a draft like that, not forgetting McKay, Cunningham and Silvagni. Maybe it's a new year hangover but I feel like there just could be something with this group of kids together.

Reply #62
Maybe it's a new year hangover but I feel like there just could be something with this group of kids together.

We all have this opinion because if we are totally honest, we have to pin our hopes on something right now.

I too believe we have drafted well this year but time will tell how well, however, the players we get this year via the draft (should pick-up at least three midfield guns) will go a long way towards how quickly we become a powerhouse again.

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #64
Another dumb ass ignorant 'expert' view. WTF would this joker know...

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/it-can-still-get-worse-for-blues-kennelly/tabid/91/newsid/188387/default.aspx?cid=SF_LOWDOWN_AFL_article_itcanstillgetworseforblueskennelly_130216
Too much Guinness, I think. Or maybe Jamesons.
I can understand why he thinks we'll be crap, but we had so little contribution from so many last year through injury and disinterest, that it won't take much at all to make us a LOT better. I am not expecting miracles, but we will win more games in 2016 than in 2015 (unless injuries curse us again - not impossible, but with a new medical team and fitness people not as likely as it has been).
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #65

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/it-can-still-get-worse-for-blues-kennelly/tabid/91/newsid/188387/default.aspx?cid=SF_LOWDOWN_AFL_article_itcanstillgetworseforblueskennelly_130216

SOS and Bolts may actually want this for obvious reasons.

Apart from the last few sentences (win-loss predictions don't mean much IMO), I think he makes some logical, and possibly obvious points. New coach, several new players, new NB's coach, new fitness / medical staff, leaders that are doing their best but not really geared for it, new this, new that, lots of youth etc.

Reply #66
I suspect that this line in Saturday's Age Kreuzer article is closer to the mark than Kennelly's idiosyncratic view:

In the year of their "reset", Carlton has been buoyed by the fine off-season form of Matthew Kreuzer, a key piece in the Blues' bid to prove to the football world they won't be as bad as many have tipped.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-blues-hope-humphrey-kreuzer-talks-through-his-actions-20160212-gmsibr.html#ixzz4034Ro0DY

The "club in a hurry" mantra wasn't adopted for nothing; we've improved our list, and we've got a coaching panel that understands modern footy and can get their message across to the players.

We'll finish in the middle six this season  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #67
I don't mind if we are seen as an underdog and out of the spotlight of high expectations. Better to come out of nowhere and shock a few people!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #68
I don't mind if we are seen as an underdog and out of the spotlight of high expectations. Better to come out of nowhere and shock a few people!

Much better if we exceed expectations than fail to meet them.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #69

The youth argument is interesting. We picked up the same number of youngsters as other teams, the GWS boys have been in the system for s while, we get back Thomas, Gibbs and primed Kruezer who are ready to rip.  New faces, yes overloaded with 18 y o, no because we have recruited players to fill the breech while our current and future crop of youngsters develop. 

Reply #70
Look at it this way, below is a team cobbled together out of the best (IMO) of the current list minus any newbies drafted at the end of last year (whether they are experienced players or 1st years)
The question then is, could this team move up the ladder significantly or otherwise just on the back of the the new coaching regime and a new game plan?

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #71
Look at it this way, below is a team cobbled together out of the best (IMO) of the current list minus any newbies drafted at the end of last year (whether they are experienced players or 1st years)
The question then is, could this team move up the ladder significantly or otherwise just on the back of the the new coaching regime and a new game plan?

Definitely, provided Jaksch has improved his footy to the point where he is a genuine key forward.

It's not a top 8 line up but it would be competitive if the new coaching panel can get them to play to their potential and with an effective game plan.

Reply #72
Definitely, provided Jaksch has improved his footy to the point where he is a genuine key forward.

It's not a top 8 line up but it would be competitive if the new coaching panel can get them to play to their potential and with an effective game plan.

Sounds as if Jaksch has been training exclusively with the defensive unit this off season, doubt we'll see him up forward in 2016.

Reply #73
Sounds as if Jaksch has been training exclusively with the defensive unit this off season, doubt we'll see him up forward in 2016.

Yep work in progress and CHF is going to be Harry McKay IMO...Jacksh will play with Weitering in the KP roles when Jamison retiresbut for the next season or two will
learn the craft down back....

Reply #74
You're not holding out hope for Glass-McCasker EB? Great height, athletic ability and his best asset is to close down opponents, ideal for FB. Main down is his kicking but can be hidden a bit at FB, having Tuhoy, Docherty and Buckley all sweeping behind for a quick give.

I hope to have a Weitering/McCasker/Plowman trio of bigs down back. I also hope to have McKay/Jaksch/C.Curnow trio up forward. I don't see JK as a defender, he may be learning some stuff this season but ultimately he's a forward.