Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 17 : Pre Game polite and refined discourse - Blues v Eagles (Read 27126 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 17 : Pre Game polite and refined discourse - Blues v Eagles

Reply #15
Give Weitering the job on Kennedy, we'll lose anyway so it will be good for his education, Plowman can have a crack at LeCras.
It doesn't matter whether Casboult gets suspended or not seeing as his replacements are Jones and Jaksch, neither of whom really deserve a game, but Levi's lost what little form he had and if we keep picking him we're just not fair dinkum.
I'd give Buckley or Boekhorst a run as well, give them the chance to show something before we make a decision.
Vojo-Rainbow, Whiley, Tutt and Clem Smith probably won't be at Carlton next year, Gorringe likewise unless we signed him for two years.
Maybe we'll rookie one or two of them.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #16
Bring in Jones to replace Casboult (if outed) and play Jones and Phillips as the two key forwards and play Kruz as the one and only with only minor relief from Phillips when necessary.

Reply #17
I love the Cortés logic in some of these threads it is analogous to;

"Lets teach the kids that fire is dangerous by throwing them in it!"

How about we start the newbies off with some small victories first, like blowing out a candle, before we throw them on a burning ship?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
Might be a few compulsory changes for this game...

Levi out.
Thomas possibly out with a calf.
Everitt out with chronic lethargy and DGAS.

Jones, Curnow & Buckley in?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
Levi's replacement will be very interesting  and could be quite revealing.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20
Drop a ruckman, bring in Jaksch and Jones, Kreuzer rucking most of the day with a bit of help from Rowe.

Reply #21
Drop a ruckman, bring in Jaksch and Jones, Kreuzer rucking most of the day with a bit of help from Rowe.

Can't have you key backman also rucking. He'll be busy enough with the leagues leading goal kicker.

Reply #22
Can't have you key backman also rucking. He'll be busy enough with the leagues leading goal kicker.

You can move Jaksch back there. We are simply no good at all playing two ruckman, fails us time and again, so we need something better. Only needs to do it for a few minutes a qtr.

Reply #23
Agree. Leave the back six as is and play around with the rest.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #24
Might be a few compulsory changes for this game...

Levi out.
Thomas possibly out with a calf.
Everitt out with chronic lethargy and DGAS.

Jones, Curnow & Buckley in?
I doubt we will appeal, so Casboult is out.
I don't think we can afford to go in with 1 ruckman, but I'd like to see both Jaksch and Jones play. I don't think Charlie Curnow is ready. Give him a few weeks to find some form and fitness.
Gorringe will probably be available, but I'd start him in the VFL.

One of Everitt or Walker simply MUST be replaced. Both deserve to be dropped, although there is some question about Walker's fitness. Either way, Boekhorst MAY be lucky. Form would not suggest he is ready, but our options are limited.
It says something that Armfield and Silvagni look to be the forwards under the least pressure.

Daisy is a big question mark: I would not be playing him unless he were to prove himself 100% long before the weekend. I simply cannot see that occurring. I don't know that Buckley has done enough to get a senior game, but he is doing a lot more than his direct competition and must be favourite to come in if Daisy doesn't come up. His pace would be useful in itself.

We do have a lot of players off the boil at the moment, but I cannot see huge numbers of changes, nor is there the depth to replace the guys out of form. I am not sure that Cripps is 100% - he certainly isn't playing so. I would 'rest' him and get his body right, but we don't appear to work that way.

I would not like to be a selector this weekend.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #25
I would not like to be a selector this weekend.
Seriously? Piece of p...!
Out Thomas (inj), Casboult (susp), Walker (ret)
In Jones, Jaksch, Buckley.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26

I don't think we can afford to go in with 1 ruckman

History and form would dictate we definitely can't afford to go in with two ruckmen. It's useless totally.

Reply #27
How is 20 goals in a season so far meaningless? Not as if he's kicked 18 of them in the last 5 minutes of games when they were over. I saw one game and they were from very strong contested marks or good leads.

31 goals for Everitt last year wasn't meaningless either just that it was last year, not this year. Just meant last year he played well, this year crap. Figures tell us that clearly. Just a stupid statement to say they were meaningless stats.

31 goals last year is not meaningless, it is downright embarrassing....just as his, and the team, totals are embarrassing this year.

Our leading goalkicker has kicked 2 goals from his last 5 games and you still defend him.

We are better off playing 'small ball' this week and having a forward 6 of smalls. forcing he opposition to match up on us in that manner, rather than trying to match them by picking 2 'bigs' who will no be as good as their backmen.

Reply #28
It could get ugly, but NicNat isn't playing, so we won't get done by 100 points.

Nic Nat is getting more TV coverage than when he's playing

Reply #29
Seriously? Piece of p...!
Out Thomas (inj), Casboult (susp), Walker (ret)
In Jones, Jaksch, Buckley.

I suspect that Boekhorst will get the nod ahead of Jaksch. And you'd flick Everitt before Walker... at least Walker will tackle and has a little mongrel, and can be played anywhere (though his form, like Everitt, does not deserve senior selection but the cupboard is bare at present re replacements).

Buckley for Thomas is logical and we get a bit more run.

I agree with Capt CRASH that Curnow probably needs another game or two in the NBs along with Gorringe.

Jones for Levi seems obvious but wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being Gorringe (straight back without NBs time).

We've been conservative with changes for most of the year, so, in reality, will probably be minimal changes - 2 out, 2 in and we'll get to groan at Everitt's lack of effort some more. The number of times he has given up early on chases and/or just stood around over the past few weeks is simply breathtaking.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17