Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 23: Post Game Party? Blues come home in the last! (Read 69414 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 23: Post Game Party? Blues come home in the last!

Reply #180
I am putting the acid on defence Coach Gavin Brown:

There were 2 snap shot forward pocket goals by the Port Forwards but no Carlton defender blocked the Half Forward / forward pocket space to prevent them running off the mark at right angles....

BASIC ERROR AND LAZY FOOTBALL.......

The Trengrove to Westhoff goal was a shocker....the bloke on the mark had his back to the play and was casually marking the turf when the Hoff strolled into kick the goal....the player on the mark and the player minding Westhoff should be doing a lot of pushups and running this week...

Reply #181

There were 2 snap shot forward pocket goals by the Port Forwards but no Carlton defender blocked the Half Forward / forward pocket space to prevent them running off the mark at right angles....

The Trengrove to Westhoff goal was a shocker....the bloke on the mark had his back to the play and was casually marking the turf when the Hoff strolled into kick the goal....the player on the mark and the player minding Westhoff should be doing a lot of pushups and running this week...

Andrew Walker come on down!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #183

Andrew Walker come on down!

And he was singled out for that lapse in concentration... got some very unfavourable TV time, did Walks!

Reckon the acid will also be on Kreuz to actually do something on Sunday.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #184
Kreuzer had 2 kicks and one handball. Nowhere near good enough for four quarters.

So drop Kreuzer and retain Casboult?

If Kreuzer can't play ruck, absolutely. Kreuzer has zero chance of taking a contested mark, never has and never will.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #185
Kreuzer had 2 kicks and one handball. Nowhere near good enough for four quarters.

True PI2C, but Kreuzer did lay eight tackles and slotted a nice goal.  He was also unlucky to miss out on a free for interference in a marking contest just outside the goalsquare.

I think Kreuzer is a player who needs to play himself into form.  Hopefully, he'll be better for the run.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #186

Walker's effort looked worse than it was; even if he had his eyes on the ball, he could never have got near enough to Westhoff to affect the kick.  Westhoff's direct opponent probably should be in the gun.

Tuohy gets away with that play on an incredibly regular basis.  Forwards must shut down defensively when the opposition is shooting for goal.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #187

If Kreuzer can't play ruck, absolutely. Kreuzer has zero chance of taking a contested mark, never has and never will.

:o Gee... bit harsh Carrotto.  I agree he didn't get enough of it on Saturday but surely that big mark in the the Port game would be classed as contested??? So there's one  ;D 

Reality is an illusion, caused by a lack of alcohol...

Reply #188

So drop Kreuzer and retain Casboult?

To me, we can only play one ruckman. Two rucks is waste. Watching VFL finals over the last few years Casboult always lifted about 8 notches and looked a real force every time. Be worth seeing if it can happen at the next level.

Which of the ruckmen to go with though? Warnock is another who has lifted hugely when it's come to September, both in ruck work and around  the ground.

Interesting selections this week.

Reply #189
Personally, I think there is Buckley's hope of you blokes convincing MM to drop SpecialK and retain Casboult or Warnock.

If we go in with only one fit ruckmen, that will be SpecialK by a country mile!

If we go in with one ruckmen that is also a losing strategy, not duplicated by any of the other serious finalists.
  • Hawks will run with two and Roughead as a 3rd option.
  • Swans could go with up to four ruck options, counting White playing forward as a ruck option with Tippett returning.
  • Freo will want to have two dedicated plus KPPs.
  • Geelong four capable ruck options.
I cannot believe you took my earlier question seriously!!!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #190
I would like to play 3 ruckmen but whenever we do we usually lose. We were getting smashed on Saturday until we subbed one off.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #191

:o Gee... bit harsh Carrotto.  I agree he didn't get enough of it on Saturday but surely that big mark in the the Port game would be classed as contested??? So there's one  ;D 

Not really, he was on the lead and it was put in front of him, if he is body on body or in a contested situation he struggles to even get his hands to the ball l;et alone mark it. Same with Warnock.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #192
I would like to play 3 ruckmen but whenever we do we usually lose. We were getting smashed on Saturday until we subbed one off.

But Casboult is not a ruckmen, everyone keeps telling me that!

If he was a useful ruckmen, he would be much better value. Blokes like SpecialK and Warnock would not have to sprint the length of the ground to get to stoppages!

The top sides will set up ruck zones for the finals, especially Sydney and Geelong. Whoever takes the center bounce will either immediately zone off either forward or backwards as required by the game plan. They will not be required to traverse the full length of the ground to get to stoppages.

Finals are too fast, and under the current fast ball up rules rucks do not have the time to cover the ground. A single ruckmen would be cooked by quarter time.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #193
Well I thought Duigan was good again when he came on and his presence had impact. I like him as a big body mid/tagger. If he can play this role he would be more than useful as he has an attacking frame of mind too. we know he can play half-back but can too as a half-forward or a mid drfiting forward IMO. Worth a shot again this week IMO.

We simply cannot bring all of Judd, Scotland and McLean in. Id only go with one of them if fit - hopefully thats Juddy.

Great win, partic that last qtr. Superb footy to watch!

Reply #194
Personally, I think there is Buckley's hope of you blokes convincing MM to drop SpecialK and retain Casboult or Warnock.

If we go in with only one fit ruckmen, that will be SpecialK by a country mile!

If we go in with one ruckmen that is also a losing strategy, not duplicated by any of the other serious finalists.

Hawks will run with two and Roughead as a 3rd option.
Swans could go with up to four ruck options, counting White playing forward as a ruck option with Tippett returning.
Freo will want to have two plus KPPs.
Geelong four capable ruck options.

I cannot believe you took my earlier question seriously!!!

We always do best with one and a back up. More often than not we're sh1t with 2. Doesn't add anything. Diminishes Kreuzer's affect as he is not good up forward. He suddenly becomes average if  he's  not first ruck. Collingwood and Richmond will be the same too. Hawthorn will go with 2 out of necessity with Buddy out, meaning Hale needs to spend more time forward. Hawthorn operate  best with Hale, with back up from Roughhead. Not sure the Swans have been as good playing  2 rucks plus Tippett and White. Why would you do  that when white and Tippett can ruck most proficiently. If you're looking to split  between a bloke who can win a few taps and a bloke who can kick a couple of goals you'd go with the latter.