Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 23: Post Game Party? Blues come home in the last! (Read 69433 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 23: Post Game Party? Blues come home in the last!

Reply #210
For all his great endeavour, reckon Davey Ellard was exposed for his size and would be a certain omission.
Is Ellard the perfect tagger for King?

King would be too physical IMO.......Ellard is a trier but thats all, we rock up with him vs Richmond and we will lose.....

Reply #211
If you could make him tackle rather than bump, Bell would do not too bad on King.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #212
We always do best with one and a back up. More often than not we're sh1t with 2. Doesn't add anything. Diminishes Kreuzer's affect as he is not good up forward. He suddenly becomes average if  he's  not first ruck. Collingwood and Richmond will be the same too. Hawthorn will go with 2 out of necessity with Buddy out, meaning Hale needs to spend more time forward. Hawthorn operate  best with Hale, with back up from Roughhead. Not sure the Swans have been as good playing  2 rucks plus Tippett and White. Why would you do  that when white and Tippett can ruck most proficiently. If you're looking to split  between a bloke who can win a few taps and a bloke who can kick a couple of goals you'd go with the latter.

That is old fashioned thinking, Laj. The Swans go with all the big guys because it is their natural advantage and it works, there is no better game plan or team setup, just a winning team that plays to it's strengths.

Like it or not we have a significant ruck advantage over most clubs that we have greatly failed to capitalise on, it is my opinion that we need to engineer the game plan to suit our strengths. It is pointless playing a marking KPF game plan if we have no marking KPF or if we have to bastardise our backline to try and fashion one! I'd rather see two Amigos up forward with a tackling forward like Armfield or Robinson and a tall like Kreuzer or Casboult inside F50 bringing the ball to ground. In my opinion the best football we played this year was early in the season when we had a series of narrow losses to top four sides. All games had combinations of Kreuzer, Rowe, Hampson and Casboult playing bringing the ball to ground from long fast entries of the HBF by the likes of Walker, Tuohy and Gibbs. In addition opposition rucks were being dominated, and all that happened when our midfield was hopelessly out of form! If we added an in form Yarran running off the HBF to that mix I think it would be our most damaging combination.

I am with @EB1 we need both playing plus Casboult but Casboult's performance will be critical. If he puts in another one like the last two we are shot, he could be our most important player this week.

What applies to other sides doesn't apply to  us.  What's an advantage on one side can be a weakness on the other. With us, if we play too many talls we just get run off as our defensively pressure/ability isn't still what it should be. We kill one ruckman off in a  game when we play two of them .Our strength is in our run, don't see the point of playing a second ruck for the sake of a few taps.

Not sure about old fashioned. Thought playing one ruck plus a back up was pretty normal. Swans we certainly better earlier on in the year with less talls. Hawthorn often use one ruck and Roughead but may get away with playing too simply because of the type of tall Buddy is. They soon sub out Bailey  the moment they lack run though. IF Watson was fit we could play both Henderson and Waite forward. Because of the type of player Waite is then we could play 2 rucks more successfully. Seeing Watson is out though one of Hendo or Waite has to go back meaning I'd prefer Casboult to an extra ruckman. Having a bloke who can take a contested mark forward, given the far more contested nature of finals, is more important than an extra ruck. Our ruckmen are useless up forward. Other side's rucks play forward more proficient than ours.

Reply #213
If we are going to play a more running game and we are looking to exert a lot of forward pressure (in the form of tackling and harassment) on the oppo. defensive set up then I think it's pretty sure one of Casboult or Kreuzer won't play. This is based on what I saw last Sat in Adelaide.

Since this is a final I think MM will select Kreuzer to play  because of his greater flexibilty and forward defensive skills, despite his quiet game on Sat.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #214
Vlad admits clash jumpers were a "stuff up."

Really? ::)
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #215
Vlad admits clash jumpers were a "stuff up."

Really? ::)

They really are dumb and dumber down there at AFL House imo - more employees than Carlton supporters yet they still drop the ball, time after time.

How about Franklin only getting 1 week - compare that hit on Malcejski (sp?) to Betts high 'hit' earlier in the year..... i think Betts got 3 or 4.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #216
I reckon he will do the unthinkable and drop Kreuzer.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #217
Kreuzer isn't 100% so if doesn't play he'll be out injured.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #218
Don't think any player is 100% this time of the year, if he doesn't play he's been dropped IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #219
Hawthorn often use one ruck and Roughead but may get away with playing too simply because of the type of tall Buddy is. They soon sub out Bailey  the moment they lack run though.

The fact they run with Bailey for 1/2 to 3/4 of a game allows the other rucks to run out the full game. If he wasn't there they would be cooked by 1/2 time, Roughead would not be so sprightly if he had to ruck from the first bounce. If you do not agree with this then explain why they used Spangher to give Hale and Roughead a chop out? I suspect they will do the same again this week and assuming Bailey is fit he will be the preferred option not Spangher.

That leads me to another matter, the smart use of subs. MM was forced to use Duigan earlier than he would normally and it paid off. By default MM and most other clubs leave their sub sitting on the bench getting cold for 3/4 in case someone gets injured, in the interim they often lead a spud running around the ground for 3/4s having stuff all influence and wasting space. That is a a dead set moronic position to take, MM is set in the mindset that the sub is an emergency player. At the weekend Port was getting away from us, almost 40 points up by halftime with no second chances left for us, so MM had no choice but to drag Casboult and activate Duigan. It paid off and we won, yet I suspect he will go back to a benched sub this week, will he ever learn that clubs like Dawkthorn and the Swans are using the sub tactically instead of as an emergency?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #220
So if Murphy had a shocker on Saturday night and Carlton made the call to not play him this week and put him into surgery you would call that dropped?

Turn it up.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #221
If Kreuzer had surgery different story. I don't think he needs surgery. Nice try though. ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #222
This Kreuzer debate is a crazy debate, if SpecialK is fit he plays plain and simple.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #223
If Kreuzer had surgery different story. I don't think he needs surgery. Nice try though. ;)

I used Murph as an example and all you took from it was No sugery, No injury? Remarkable.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #224

I used Murph as an example and all you took from it was No sugery, No injury? Remarkable.

Like I said, everyone is nursing injury this time of the year, to say Kreuzer isn't 100% so therefore if he doesn't play he's injured is BS. Regardless, rather than engage in boring one line pot shots with you, I'll just let you wallow in your own ineptitude.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!