Skip to main content

Poll

Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017?

1-4
[ 0 ] (0%)
5-8
[ 0 ] (0%)
9-12
[ 11 ] (17.2%)
13-15
[ 17 ] (26.6%)
16-18
[ 36 ] (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: March 23, 2017, 11:05:37 pm

Topic: Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017? (Read 37859 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017?

Reply #30
Honestly Paul, what would Simpson know?  He's obviously not bothered to read this thread and a couple of others  ;)

lods mentioned that the leaders may have other ideas about our team performance, and I just remember that quote from Simmo.

It's a bit of a "by the numbers" quote, and what you'd expect him to say, but I like Simmo. I reckon he is our "spiritual leader" and I like reading what he has to say, and I like watching him play.

Reply #31
lods mentioned that the leaders may have other ideas about our team performance, and I just remember that quote from Simmo.

It's a bit of a "by the numbers" quote, and what you'd expect him to say, but I like Simmo. I reckon he is our "spiritual leader" and I like reading what he has to say, and I like watching him play.

Paul, for me he is probably our most inspirational current player in the way he approaches the game.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #32
Paul, for me he is probably our most inspirational current player in the way he approaches the game.

Yes, he and Crippa for mine. He will a loss when he hangs up the boots.

Reply #33
I see Sportsbet have us at $7 to make the 8 and Brisbane at $15. I would have thought that if we were certainties for finish last or second last, those odds don't look right, or are they (gambling and betting is not one of my strong suits)? I'd almost have a flutter at that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #34
Honestly Paul, what would Simpson know?  He's obviously not bothered to read this thread and a couple of others  ;)

Find me a player at any club who would say otherwise.

FYI, here is an a quote from Trigg that he sent out today...
Almost all of our Blues members and supporters will recognise that we’re a younger list again this year. We are continuing to build strong foundations and exposing our youth at an AFL level will bring some inconsistencies at times. That’s the reality of youth. But the other reality is we are developing some real and exciting talent – so we hope that as a member you’ll enjoy seeing that development throughout the season.

How do you interpret that?

To me its a clear message saying its a long road ahead with plenty of youth and thus inconsistency. Enjoy watching the development, as you may not enjoy the scoreboard.

But what would Trigg know.... ;)

Reply #35
Find me a player at any club who would say otherwise.

FYI, here is an a quote from Trigg that he sent out today...
How do you interpret that?

To me its a clear message saying its a long road ahead with plenty of youth and thus inconsistency. Enjoy watching the development, as you may not enjoy the scoreboard.

But what would Trigg know.... ;)

But isn't that the same type of spin you're accusing the player of.... the clear message from Trigg could also be... "We need to buy a bit of time with supporters so we'll lower expectations a bit. We hope we're on the right track but really the only certainties in life are death and taxes."

In all these discussion Kruddler, it's clear you've bought into "What they're cooking!"...and that's fine.
But at the end of the day the long slow rebuild process may yield absolutely zilch.
It's all a guess and hope situation.
Guess the best path and hope for the successful outcome.

Reply #36
Indeed Lods. We have to be on some path, and we've tried several others, with varying degrees of success. So now we're trying the reno path, and we'll know soon enough.

No one can predict the future, and supporters without much success can be a jittery bunch. We could win the next three spoons, then win the next three flags. You can bet that when we're in the midst of those spoons, supporters will be fuming, unable to see the good times around the corner. But that's sport - the agony and the ecstasy.

Wins make people comfortable (somewhat) - sustained winning form makes people comfortable. Losses and losing form has the opposite effects.

We didn't have the internet back then, but I remember well the 2 mid season losses we had in 95. The callers to the radio etc. were predicting the end was nigh. 

Reply #37
But isn't that the same type of spin you're accusing the player of.... the clear message from Trigg could also be... "We need to buy a bit of time with supporters so we'll lower expectations a bit. We hope we're on the right track but really the only certainties in life are death and taxes."

In all these discussion Kruddler, it's clear you've bought into "What they're cooking!"...and that's fine.
But at the end of the day the long slow rebuild process may yield absolutely zilch.
It's all a guess and hope situation.
Guess the best path and hope for the successful outcome.

I don't know if i've bought into anything they are selling Lods. It just so happens that i've come to the same conclusions as them. We need to rebuild and that takes time. There are no shortcuts and if we end the rebuild part way through, we are in a worse position than had we have stuck it out.

No guarantees that what we are doing will work. However, there is a clear guarantee that what we have done in the past hasn't. So what have we got to lose?

As for Trigg vs Simpson.
I challenge you to find a more 'negative' approach to a forthcoming season from a club. Trigg knows its going to be a long year and is trying to push the 'look at our kids - isn't it encouraging?' route. Rather than a 'we'll be pushing for finals' comments.
Simpson only knows one way and if he had doubts about the upcoming season, then that probably means every other player on our list has doubts too. I expect Bolton to give belief to the players, even when staring defeat in the eyes. If he cannot do that, then he isn't the right man for the job.

Reply #38
The major challenge that BB, the other coaches and the leadership group face is that of avoiding a "loser culture" being established even though we may well be facing probably losing a significant number of games this year. Like winning, losing becomes a habit if you are not careful.

Carefully chosen, achievable targets will need to be set for the team, aside from winning x number of games, in order that the players genuinely feel that progress is being made and that they are headed in the right direction. This will require great skill and insight. No doubt it will be a tough year and not one for the faint hearted.

Reply #39
"We don't really have a real focus on anything external, we've got a real clear understanding of where we are as a club," Bolton said.

"We've taken probably the most dramatic reset in the club's history, we've turned over around 28 players. We think what comes with that is excitement because we get to see our youngsters grow and develop over the next few years to set up some sustainable success for us in future.

"We know where we're at and we're really excited about what we're doing as a footy club."

After focusing on pressure last year, Bolton was keen to build depth in the playing list in 2017 and also employ aggressive ball movement.

"We've still got a lot of work to do in that area, we're a work in progress but we're not going to shy away from trying things," he said.

"We want to have a look at how our youngsters grow and perform and give them opportunity and we're also looking for consistency – they're the main things with our footy figures."

Carlton are the underdogs in next week's season opener against Richmond but Bolton was confident of causing an upset.

"They [Richmond] have had some good form over the pre-season, they've recruited well with [Dion] Prestia, [Josh] Caddy and [Toby] Nankervis but we'll come out firing and take it up to them and see how we go," he said.

Isn't it refreshing to have a coach who, while not giving too much away, is prepared to be honest about where we're at and what his priorities are?

Like Bolton, I'm confident that we can cause an upset against Richmond.  If we do, there will be a chorus of "Richmond/Hardwick are no good but!"

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #40
The major challenge that BB, the other coaches and the leadership group face is that of avoiding a "loser culture" being established even though we may well be facing probably losing a significant number of games this year. Like winning, losing becomes a habit if you are not careful.

Carefully chosen, achievable targets will need to be set for the team, aside from winning x number of games, in order that the players genuinely feel that progress is being made and that they are headed in the right direction. This will require great skill and insight. No doubt it will be a tough year and not one for the faint hearted.

See Bolton's comments Cookie, particularly "We want to have a look at how our youngsters grow and perform and give them opportunity and we're also looking for consistency – they're the main things with our footy figures."

Wouldn't it be great if those "footy figures" were provided to supporters!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #41
It's not a direct quote from Bolton, but one phrase in that reply #39 really caught my eye - "aggressive ball movement."

If true, I can't wait.

Reply #42
See Bolton's comments Cookie, particularly "We want to have a look at how our youngsters grow and perform and give them opportunity and we're also looking for consistency – they're the main things with our footy figures."

Wouldn't it be great if those "footy figures" were provided to supporters!

It would indeed be interesting.  ;)

Anyway, at least the players are aware of them and what is expected of them. I'm really looking forward to Thurs and to see where we're at, with our intensity esp.

Reply #43
It would indeed be interesting.  ;)

Anyway, at least the players are aware of them and what is expected of them. I'm really looking forward to Thurs and to see where we're at, with our intensity esp.

Ditto.  :)
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #44
Mods, is it worth giving consideration to merging this thread and the "What are your expectations" thread" ? They started off with a different emphasis,  but they seem to be converging.