Skip to main content

Poll

Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017?

1-4
[ 0 ] (0%)
5-8
[ 0 ] (0%)
9-12
[ 11 ] (17.2%)
13-15
[ 17 ] (26.6%)
16-18
[ 36 ] (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: March 23, 2017, 11:05:37 pm

Topic: Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017? (Read 39173 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017?

Reply #120
We'll probably finish bottom two, rusted on supporters like people on this board will keep buttering up but some others will drop off, and we won't be attracting very many new supporters or members that's for sure and certain.
The danger is that a long and painful rebuild will badly affect our long term viability with no guarantee of success, the one bright spot is that if we beat Collingwood in a fortnight they'll self destruct.

The Collingwood game will probably be the first I attend this year, if we beat them there will probably be a public lynching of Buckley. Funny thing is I actually respect Bucks but you live and die by your performances, and he himself placed the noose over his head if they don't make finals. Great game this AFL!!
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #121
The Collingwood game will probably be the first I attend this year, if we beat them there will probably be a public lynching of Buckley. Funny thing is I actually respect Bucks but you live and die by your performances, and he himself placed the noose over his head if they don't make finals. Great game this AFL!!

I have no idea whether he's good or crap at coaching (I've always liked him), but he can be too honest by half. 

Reply #122
How true - it's too early to say whether the list is better. It's easy to say at this stage that last years and this years draftees will mean we have a better list in another 2 years time, but we just don't know.

When you look at the list the problem is that the 12/13/14 drafting and trading is a train wreck, and we therefore have very few guys with 40-60 games experience who a solid AFL footballers. Doc and Crippa are it really. We have a massive hole in the middle of the list, and you can't lose experience like Tuohy, Jamo, Walks and Hendo and replace them with kids and hope to get the same results in the short term. You are likely to go backwards.

In a perfect world 4-5 of Boek, Whiley, Tutt, Jones, KJ, Gorringe, DVR, Menzel, Temay, Graham, Giles, Holman, Everitt, Smith, Dick, Foster would have developed into solid players who contributed strongly week to week - even that would be a 33% strike rate. Instead we got almost nothing out of that cohort, so we now have to keep playing White, Casboult, Armfield and Daisy because we have nothing better. And we have to keep blooding a high proportion of players with under 25 games experience and pray we find some diamonds in that group.

Indeed. Errors were the rule. Successful drafting the exception. Add in the shinanagins of the board et al. And you write off almost a decade of development.

Next chapter is now in draft form (no pun intended ^-^). We all share the hope that our club get it right this time. My faith is steadfast and I back the youngsters in.

My Edit. I still have us bottom 4. We'll have a patch here and there where our ducks align and the opposition are off. Mostly though, we have 23 chances to work through our list decisions come year's end. We have opportunities to play the youngsters together. To build the bonds that will become the foundation of our future success.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #123
but surely the problem is in the development of players, once on the list, not the drafting?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #124
No doubt fb.
A very complex set of factors. Not only drafting, but some of it starts there.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #125
I have no idea whether he's good or crap at coaching (I've always liked him), but he can be too honest by half.
Thing is, if Bucks fails, then Eddie should be right in the spotlight with him as this was the succession plan he orchestrated.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #126
I was hopeful of finishing somewhere from 10th-14th.

If we keep playing the kids as often as we have been in the 1st 5 rounds I reckon we will end up bottom 4.

I really really don't want to win another wooden spoon....
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #127
Last .

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #128
Thing is, if Bucks fails, then Eddie should be right in the spotlight with him as this was the succession plan he orchestrated.

You would think so, but he's pretty powerful, and I can't see him relinquishing that power too easily. Whether the rest of the club believes he has to go, and whether they have the balls and power to push him out is another matter.

As a way of avoiding a whole lot of media nonsense, and a way of avoiding the typically ugly exits senior coaches make, I like the idea of a succession plan. Maybe at the Pies, the individuals involved are the problem ? Paul Roos has made it work at two different clubs.

Reply #129
That's because roos had had enough of being the senior coach and wanted to hand over the reigns.

You force a succession plan on anyone and they won't like it.

It's effectively training your replacement to do your job most likely before you believe your time is up.

At Collingwood it made no sense to pull that reign at that time.  First flag won, finals series looming, minor premiership in reach and a fairly good chance at the flag again.   They should have postponed it a couple of years.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #130
Appointing a club stalwart as coach almost always ends in tears, in recent times it has for Voss, Ratten and Hird and it no doubt will for Buckley, you can count on one hand the times that it's worked over the last 30 years.
When the time comes it's always postponed too long and then when the trigger is pulled it's like shooting Bambi, and divides supporters and members.
It's just not a good idea.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #131
Appointing a club stalwart as coach almost always ends in tears, in recent times it has for Voss, Ratten and Hird and it no doubt will for Buckley, you can count on one hand the times that it's worked over the last 30 years.
When the time comes it's always postponed too long and then when the trigger is pulled it's like shooting Bambi, and divides supporters and members.
It's just not a good idea.

Why do you think that is ?

Reply #132
That's because roos had had enough of being the senior coach and wanted to hand over the reigns.

You force a succession plan on anyone and they won't like it.

It's effectively training your replacement to do your job most likely before you believe your time is up.

At Collingwood it made no sense to pull that reign at that time.  First flag won, finals series looming, minor premiership in reach and a fairly good chance at the flag again.   They should have postponed it a couple of years.

All coaches are employees of a football club. It's not up to them to decide when it's time to go. MM's best was behind him. The Pies could see it, and so could all the other clubs that were looking for a senior coach in that time, except of course for the lazy, soft option, quick fix kings.

Supporters will tolerate any amount of failure if they support the regime - compare the 2012 and 2013 W/L and %. Same W/L in both seasons, but 2012 has a better %. Yet 2012 was such a disaster that the coach had to go, bu 2013 gets a pass mark. What a load of farking crap.

Reply #133
Probably because the selection process is biased and the candidate selected has spent too long in one environment and is too close to the playing group.

Looking at how Collingwood dismantled a premiership outfit including many young players shows that it's a terrible idea.

They have geared their list at being good within the next couple of years to save Buckley his job rather than challenge for a flag.
Insanity given what the Giants look like.

All coaches are employees of a football club. It's not up to them to decide when it's time to go. MM's best was behind him. The Pies could see it, and so could all the other clubs that were looking for a senior coach in that time, except of course for the lazy, soft option, quick fix kings.

Supporters will tolerate any amount of failure if they support the regime - compare the 2012 and 2013 W/L and %. Same W/L in both seasons, but 2012 has a better %. Yet 2012 was such a disaster that the coach had to go, bu 2013 gets a pass mark. What a load of farking crap.

You say that to anyone in any job and they will tell you to stick it, and walk out leaving you with all their intellectual property.

Football clubs are a bit different but it's still not a good idea, in any profession.

Had he not come to our football club, this point would not be lost on you.  But you're too busy being anti mick Malthouse to appreciate what I'm actually saying here.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #134
Probably because the selection process is biased and the candidate selected has spent too long in one environment and is too close to the playing group.

Looking at how Collingwood dismantled a premiership outfit including many young players shows that it's a terrible idea.

They have geared their list at being good within the next couple of years to save Buckley his job rather than challenge for a flag.
Insanity given what the Giants look like.

You say that to anyone in any job and they will tell you to stick it, and walk out leaving you with all their intellectual property.

Football clubs are a bit different but it's still not a good idea, in any profession.

Had he not come to our football club, this point would not be lost on you.  But you're too busy being anti mick Malthouse to appreciate what I'm actually saying here.

I'm too busy looking at poor results, demoralized supporters, poor media performances, dodgy trades, and a few other things besides. His record was very good, but all players and coaches get to a point where their heart's not in it, and where they just can't or won't do what's required. Why is it that in the 12 months he was out of the game, that no other club showed any interest ? Why is it that we were the only ones ? Why is it when we moved him on, once again no other club showed any interest ? Why is it that when he threw his hat in the ring for the Crows job, they ignored him ?

The rest of the AFL world is telling you something, and you ought to pay attention.