Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 41992 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #120
In - McKay, Cuningham, Polson
Out - Armfield, Thomas, Casboult  O0 :P O:-)

Reply #121

Like it....play the kids and lets see how they go and who can handle the heat......

Reply #122
Given those three gave us diddly anyway last week, wtfn?

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #123
Given those three gave us diddly anyway last week, wtfn?

I don't understand the love/hate opinion people have of Casboult.
I was at the game and yeah he could've done more but so could've 21 other blokes ::)
He was still marking strongly and he nailed two lovely set shot goals he would've missed last year.
His confidence is up, 2 from 2 so lets drop him :o
He doesn't get more shots because he is not being played as a stay at home Forward. He plays up the ground with the rest of our bl**dy players leaving open Bolton's Backyard!
He has become a marking link player, marking on the wing and kicking into the Forward 50, whereas he should be the receiver in the 5.
He definitely plays in the Battle of the Beards with Gawn!
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #124
I was at the game and yeah he could've done more but so could've 21 other blokes ::)
He was still marking strongly and he nailed two lovely set shot goals he would've missed last year.
He doesn't get more shots because he is not being played as a stay at home Forward. He plays up the ground with the rest of our bl**dy players leaving open Bolton's Backyard!
He has become a marking link player, marking on the wing and kicking into the Forward 50, whereas he should be the receiver in the 5.

I like Casboult as the second ruckman. He gives it a good crack in the ruck (with one notable exception) and definitely offers more than a second genuine ruckman like Phillips around the ground.

Reply #125
I like Casboult as the second ruckman. He gives it a good crack in the ruck (with one notable exception) and definitely offers more than a second genuine ruckman like Phillips around the ground.

Casboult was a rookie and plays like one.  He has lasted much longer on the list than ideal because we have been so bad, and the past few years of attempts at KP players since fev have failed, i.e. Watson, Mitchell, Jones et al.  He doesn't work hard enough and his kicking is disastrous.  But right now, as we bring younger players in, he needs to play, if anything to give Kreuzer a chop out.  Curnow and McKay are not ready, nor should they be rushed.

If we improve as hoped Casboult will be dropped around round 12-15 and not get another contract.  He aint going to improve, and wishing it so isn't enough.

Reply #126
What you currently see is what you are ever likely to get with Levi IMO. A non strategic player in our future plans hence his contract situation.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #127

That's pretty much how I saw Casboult's game too, although he kicked 1.1, not two goals.  I was directly behind his first effort and it looked like it was a goal from the moment it left his boot but it tailed off at the last minute.

Anyway, I suspect Bolts and the match committee value Casboult's work just a little higher than those folk who seem to have chosen him as the 2017 whipping boy :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #128
Levi was poor first half good second half. Some were poor all game.

Reply #129
I must apologise - clearly I was distracted when I last posted.

I reckon Levi goes ok and part of his 'problem' is that he is used badly imo.

Like the rest of the 22 he clearly needs to raise his hunger levels, intensity, whatever - but he's only part of the wider malaise in that area!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #130

Casboult will play as we have no other 2nd ruck. Bringing McKay in does allow him to be a permanent 2nd ruck, which might work well given his ability to take a mark around the round.

Reply #131
Levi was poor first half good second half. Some were poor all game.

Thats how I saw it too.

He couldnt get near the footy in the first half.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #132
Thats how I saw it too.

He couldnt get near the footy in the first half.

Yes, first half diabolical, 2nd half pretty good. Ruck work in the pre-season and last week the best i've seen from him. Think that's his position now.

Reply #133
I need to go back and watch the game again. I thought he was well beaten at most of his ruck contests, and slow in getting to some of them as well.

Reply #134
I need to go back and watch the game again. I thought he was well beaten at most of his ruck contests, and slow in getting to some of them as well.

I thought similar watching it live at the ground, he was often caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's something I don't understand about him because he basically spent his whole junior career as a ruck, alas an unfit one, but he should at least know where to be and when. His best VFL season was rucking and pushing forward.

But my biggest concern was his 2nd and 3rd efforts, they are still effectively non-existent. You can get away with poor tap-work if you make up for it at ground level, getting in the way of opponents, making space for your team-mates, tackling and harassing. He does very little of this stuff, and it's such a contrast to Kreuzer.

Also for someone with his marking ability he doesn't push anywhere near hard enough to get forward, and his defensive work is poor. He's still too easily maneuvered and bustled out of the way by smaller players. Opposition forwards should fear him when he is in the vicinity, instead he is rarely in the contest on the defensive side of the center, which probably says something about work rate.

At his size and shape he should have a Mumford type presence, Mumford should be his role model. Casboult is actually more mobile than Mumford, a better mark and fitter. But he just doesn't have the mindset to impose himself on the game. As a result when the he gets a run in the ruck it's like the opposition are getting a breather, they are not forced to work hard enough in his presence.

He has improved this year, but he's got a long way to go, as a ruck option he is now as effective as Rowe but still some significant way behind Kreuzer or Phillips.

I haven't watched a replay, but it's hard to tell from replays as you only get to see them when they are in shot and therefore close to the ball.
The Force Awakens!