Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 41998 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #135
Yes, first half diabolical, 2nd half pretty good. Ruck work in the pre-season and last week the best i've seen from him. Think that's his position now.

I thought he was reasonable in the ruck in the 2nd half and was better than Griffiths who was the Tigers 2nnd String.....but at the same time I wasnt impressed with his lack of physicality towards Dustin Martin
when we needed him to step in and show whose boss. Levi needs some license to throw that big frame about, did it once and cleaned up Vlastuin but I want more of that brutality and intensity....

Reply #136
I thought he was reasonable in the ruck in the 2nd half and was better than Griffiths who was the Tigers 2nnd String.....but at the same time I wasnt impressed with his lack of physicality towards Dustin Martin
when we needed him to step in and show whose boss. Levi needs some license to throw that big frame about, did it once and cleaned up Vlastuin but I want more of that brutality and intensity....

I'd love to know what their instructions are when it comes getting physical with opponents  :-\

It got pretty willing at times in the NB's practice match and the bigger blokes - Jaksch, Jones, Korcheck and McKay - were quick to get involved, as was Silvagni.  However, it was generally in response to a Richmond transgression and I didn't really notice much in the way of rough stuff that we initiated.

I haven't really noticed much "unsociable" footy in the senior side.  Perhaps that's not a Hawthorn trait that Bolton wants us to emulate.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #137
I haven't really noticed much "unsociable" footy in the senior side.  Perhaps that's not a Hawthorn trait that Bolton wants us to emulate.

We just don't have the cattle, it's not something you can force on players, they just switch off if you try.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #138
Carlton's extended squad for Round 2:

Backs     33. Jarrod Pickett           22. Caleb Marchbank   20. Lachie Plowman
Half-backs    26. Harrison Macreadie   17. Sam Rowe           15. Sam Docherty
Centreline   46. Matthew Wright            4. Bryce Gibbs             6. Kade Simpson
Half-forwards   1. Jack Silvagni            41. Levi Casboult     30. Charlie Curnow
Forwards   43. Simon White            23. Jacob Weitering     5. Sam Petrevski-Seton
Followers   8. Matthew Kreuzer   9. Patrick Cripps   3. Marc Murphy (C)

Interchange (from):   27. Dennis Armfield   35. Ed Curnow   32. Nick Graham 11. Sam Kerridge   10. Harry McKay 16. Billie Smedts 39. Dale Thomas       
In: Sam Kerridge, Nick Graham, Harry McKay

Out: Nil

New: Harry McKay (Gippsland Power)

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #139
I don't understand the love/hate opinion people have of Casboult.
I was at the game and yeah he could've done more but so could've 21 other blokes ::)
He was still marking strongly and he nailed two lovely set shot goals he would've missed last year.
His confidence is up, 2 from 2 so lets drop him :o
He doesn't get more shots because he is not being played as a stay at home Forward. He plays up the ground with the rest of our bl**dy players leaving open Bolton's Backyard!
He has become a marking link player, marking on the wing and kicking into the Forward 50, whereas he should be the receiver in the 5.
He definitely plays in the Battle of the Beards with Gawn!

Not sure if you've got Foxtel, but David King has been doing this 'list analysis' with his pre/post match coverage.
The long and the short of it is this. Levi Casboult is giving us -53% when compared to every other player in the AFL who is the same age and position as him.

I think from our whole list, we only have about 7 players who actually give us more than average when compared to player of same age and position. This is going back a few weeks, but i think it included Weitering, Simpson, Docherty, Gibbs (just), Silvagni, Cripps (+43%!) and maybe Murphy. Casboult was by far the worst % on the list. A player of his age in that position, should be in the peak of his career and fighting it out for the coleman. Not battling to kick a goal a game.

Reply #140
And our opponents:

Melbourne

B: Jayden Hunt, Oscar McDonald, Jake Melksham.
HB: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Nathan Jones.
C: Christian Salem,  Jordan Lewis, Billy Stretch.
HF: Clayton Oliver, Sam Weideman, Jack Watts.
F: Christian Petracca, Jesse Hogan, Jeff Garlett.
Fol: Max Gawn, Angus Brayshaw, Jack Viney.
Int: Dom Tyson, Dean Kent, Mitch Hannan, Alex Neal-Bullen, Jake Spencer, Ben Kennedy, James Harmes (Three to be omitted)

Melbourne have a few players under injury clouds, but they are further advances on their rebuild than we are.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #141
Not sure if you've got Foxtel, but David King has been doing this 'list analysis' with his pre/post match coverage.
The long and the short of it is this. Levi Casboult is giving us -53% when compared to every other player in the AFL who is the same age and position as him.

I think from our whole list, we only have about 7 players who actually give us more than average when compared to player of same age and position. This is going back a few weeks, but i think it included Weitering, Simpson, Docherty, Gibbs (just), Silvagni, Cripps (+43%!) and maybe Murphy. Casboult was by far the worst % on the list. A player of his age in that position, should be in the peak of his career and fighting it out for the coleman. Not battling to kick a goal a game.
I hear you and get you and understand where you are coming from.
But we are coming from SO FAR back that any positive no matter how small we seem to cling to.
Our stock of good players is as thick as tissue paper so if a player can pull some boots on, take marks and kick goals then he is a legend.
Other teams are able to pick up some knob at pick 45 and he turns out as a first 22, built like a brick st house and a 100 game match winner, I mean WTF. We pick up a top 10 player and he plays 15 games and ALWAYS looks like a string bean and couldn't hit the side of a barn door with a bag full of wheat.
Our playing list is so full of weakness and weak spots it is not funny.
SO MANY good picks stuffed up (no F**KING STUFFED UP) by incompetence.
The club we all love wants success but knows F**K all about how to get it. Why do other clubs get it and we don't?
Bolton has brought cohesion and that is all at the moment and with our thin list that is about as much as we can expect.
I understand we are on the road of a rebuild and want it and expect it and support it BUT who ever is left wearing that beautiful Navy Blue Guernsey I EXPECT them as an unconditional requirement they wear it with pride and play with INTENSITY and PASSION AND leave NOTHING on the field.
NOT go through the motion and collect their pay cheque. >:(
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #142
I'm looking forward to watching the boys on Sunday.  That's two of my grandsons who will be representing Torquay Auskick at halftime :)

As for the big boys, I hope Harry McKay gets a run and goes on from where he left off in the NB's practice game.  I suspect that his acceleration will test any opponent tall enough to compete with him in the air.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #143
That's tops DJC. Enjoy watching the grandkids and make sure you ride that wave of pride for all it's worth!

Reply #144
I'm looking forward to watching the boys on Sunday.  That's two of my grandsons who will be representing Torquay Auskick at halftime :)

As for the big boys, I hope Harry McKay gets a run and goes on from where he left off in the NB's practice game.  I suspect that his acceleration will test any opponent tall enough to compete with him in the air.

Wishing your grandsons a great day. Torquay, what a great part of the world, far cry from BH!

I hope Harry gets a run as well, but the big question is... who does he replace? Difficult one. I suspect he'll be an emergency, along with the other two ins.

Don't get me started on Casboult. Yes, he upped his effort in the second half last week BUT a bloke of his experience and size should have hit the ground running. His lapses cost us greatly. We must stop making excuses for this bloke.

Wrapped to see Macreadie locked in on the HBF.

Graham deserved promotion and personally I'd see him line ball with Thomas re inclusion.

Curnow bros had better improve, a lot, this Sunday.

Weitering forward again? Yes please.

I am not surprised that Cuningham is not promoted. This very talented kid had better learn intensity and desire... Another with an issue between the lugholes.  Graham should not be in front of him, but he is way in front probably because he doesn't vanish from time to time and never squibs it... and Polson is also in front of him.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #145
I have a feeling we will win this week.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #146
Just on Casboult, it's worth having a look at this assessment from early last season:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/levi-casboult-has-what-it-takes-to-be-an-elite-forward-in-the-afl--if-only-he-knew-how-to-kick/news-story/9913b26d4a497fbc5291215a5a62ab93

Casboult is rated elite or above average among key forwards in 5 categories and below average or poor in 4 categories.  There's obviously room for improvement but he's not the spud that some so-called experts think he is.  I reckon he needs to kick 30-40 goals at around 60% to extend his career.

Reply #147
Thomas, Armfield and White.  Pack your bags for the early game.

Reply #148
Thomas, Armfield and White.  Pack your bags for the early game.

White's in the 18 means he'll likely play seniors. Not sure why we need to select him. Prefer we play Harry McKay.

Reply #149
Pick 44 in the Rookie Draft....I reckon Casboult's exceeded expectations ;)
Simon White..same... 56 in the same rookie draft.