Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 42588 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #45
Yet everyone is calling for his head for this game.....almost exclusively.

I'd be in the "almost" group then. Not sure how exclusive it is though ;)
I've been frustrated by what I see (which is far from what's on show of course) from Daisy on game day, and further by his unfortunate injuries. This is primarily due to having expectations of him really adding to on field success. It hasn't eventuated quite like that, at least not consistently.

When you accept the strengths and limitations of the individual and the team, it's easier to comprehend. It's easier to see where the coaching staff may be coming from. Two questions remain for mine:
Will CFC get value for doing the trade compared to other options available at the time?
Can our current crop gain significantly from his contributions?
IMO its a no and yes, respectively.
As we don't have time travel available, we can't change 1.
As he will be one of us this year, I'm hopeful those in the know will facilitate him giving the best he has to give. For those reasons, I'll treat him the respect our players deserve. And no doubt feel the pangs of frustration from time to time.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #46
I have always supported Daisy's recruitment but I think injuries have crueled his career and his time may be up. Dont care how much he gets paid, don't care where he came from, don't care who he is mates with. Can he do his role and contribute? Only the coaches know that. From an outside looking in, he doesnt look like he has much left in the tank. Time will tell.

Yes, it's stating the obvious, but come season's end, we'll know how much the club rates him.

Reply #47
I have always supported Daisy's recruitment but I think injuries have crueled his career and his time may be up. Dont care how much he gets paid, don't care where he came from, don't care who he is mates with. Can he do his role and contribute? Only the coaches know that. From an outside looking in, he doesnt look like he has much left in the tank. Time will tell.
The bold part is the key.

That is what gets him picked in the side and others not.

I agree he doesn't look like he has much left. He knows that himself. Doesn't stop him busting his behind each and every time he crosses the line. Something i only wish the rest of our blokes could do.

Reply #48
The bold part is the key.

That is what gets him picked in the side and others not.

I agree he doesn't look like he has much left. He knows that himself. Doesn't stop him busting his behind each and every time he crosses the line. Something i only wish the rest of our blokes could do.
Agreed
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
Daisy is the least of our worries.
As for the trade being poor value at least he's playing senior footy, unlike Jaksch who we traded pick seven for.
Now that trade really sucks.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #50
As for the trade being poor value at least he's playing senior footy, unlike Jaksch who we traded pick seven for.

That's a fair point re Jaksch. Not sure that Daisy is the least of our worries though.

Reply #51
That's a fair point re Jaksch. Not sure that Daisy is the least of our worries though.

There are three or four at least who would get a spell in the VFL before Thomas, he at least can hit a target  more than half the time which is more than you can say for some of them.
People have been calling for his head ever since he came to the club but he's never been dropped, so either he's worth his spot or the match committee are clueless, in which case he's the least of our problems.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #52

The stuff up we apparently made with Jaksch does not make me feel any better about any small amount of consolation we may be getting out of the Daisy deal unfortunately.

Reminds me of the story of the guy who went into hospital to have a leg amputated. When he woke up after the op the surgeon said that he had bad news and good news. Bad news, he'd inadvertently amputated the good leg. Good news, the guy in the next bed was interested in buying his slippers.  ::)
(apologies for that one!).
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #53
The stuff up we apparently made with Jaksch does not make me feel any better about any small amount of consolation we may be getting out of the Daisy deal unfortunately.

I get it, but what's the huge problem?
If it's only what he's being paid I for one couldn't care less, Liam Jones is being paid by us as well and we might as well donate his wages to charity.
Thomas gets a game on his merits despite what some armchair experts think, and if the time comes in the next few years that we have enough talent on our list to replace him I'll be very happy because it will mean that we have a vastly better side than we currently have.

Reply #54

All 3 of those players we got in that trade have played more games each, than the bloke who was taken at pick 7. Yes, even the delisted Whiley has played more games than pick 7 has.

Reply #55
I get it, but what's the huge problem?
If it's only what he's being paid I for one couldn't care less, Liam Jones is being paid by us as well and we might as well donate his wages to charity.
Thomas gets a game on his merits despite what some armchair experts think, and if the time comes in the next few years that we have enough talent on our list to replace him I'll be very happy because it will mean that we have a vastly better side than we currently have.

Sure he gets a game on his current merits but we surely could be getting that input at much lower cost. I guess I just don't like paying through the nose for something. We did not get good value for our large $s and I, together with plenty of others find that very frustrating. I get that we have got to live with it. Just don't ask me to like it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #56
Sure he gets a game on his current merits but we surely could be getting that input at much lower cost. I guess I just don't like paying through the nose for something. We did not get good value for our large $s and I, together with plenty of others find that very frustrating. I get that we have got to live with it. Just don't ask me to like it.

Yes, I wonder how many other players currently on an AFL list have the same output / do the same job that Daisy does ?

Reply #57
All 3 of those players we got in that trade have played more games each, than the bloke who was taken at pick 7. Yes, even the delisted Whiley has played more games than pick 7 has.

Why do you assume that we would have picked the same player?

Reply #58

I get that a large number of Carlton supporters are pissed off with Thomas, he probably gets it as well so it becomes a self fulfilling   prophesy.
It wouldn't be easy to give your best under those circumstances, just sayin.

Reply #59
In other news, The Demons don't look that crash hot against the Aints.
We just might be a chance.