Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 41980 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #90
Somebody needs to bitch slap Viney back into his box, so full of himself and gets away with it.

Can see their midfield lording it over us - they have a midfield built for modern football, ours is akin to one from 20 years ago.

White plays on-ball or not at all.  Kerridge on a wing, perhaps Palmer as well.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #91
Somebody needs to bitch slap Viney back into his box, so full of himself and gets away with it.

Can see their midfield lording it over us - they have a midfield built for modern football, ours is akin to one from 20 years ago.

White plays on-ball or not at all.  Kerridge on a wing, perhaps Palmer as well.

What we'd do to have a Mitch Robinson go toe-to-toe with a Jack Viney!

I'm in the Ed Curnow, White, Palmer and Kerridge to become the 'role players' for us onball, negating, tagging and harassing all game, every game.

Can these blokes do that though? And will BB adhere to a change?

Reply #92
What we'd do to have a Mitch Robinson go toe-to-toe with a Jack Viney!

Geez, he would have been handy against Dusty.

Mitch Robinson always has a real crack when given those sorts of tasks. Ablett Jnr, Fletcher, Kennedy, Mundy, etc., etc., Mitch had the size, strength and pace to match it with any of them. Given clear instructions he was like a dog chasing a ball, just relentless.

I get the feeling the way Robinson played was not appreciated by his team-mates. It came across to me that our guys were too scared of retribution caused by Robinson's actions, they wanted him to cool it a little. That tells you something about our list and more importantly it tells our opposition something our list, the opposition know that if they persist in pushing us hard enough for long enough we are likely to take a step back.

I had hoped that continually being bullied would eventually cause some fight back from our team, but it seems we have chosen the path of least resistance and will prefer to walk away. On the sporting field that doesn't work like it might in life, on the sporting field only here and now counts, tomorrow is a reset.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
I want to see some toe-to-toe niggling on Sunday, with plenty of elbows into ribs. None of last week's "let's handball to Murph" who gets swamped and driven into the turf by 3 players. Stick a few tackles FFS.

Put Casboult out on a wing ironing a few mid-fielders out ala Collingwood game last year. Or maybe a CHB/HBF role where there was so much space for Griffith last week. He needs to throw his weight around, not just be an invisible 3rd banana in the forward line behind Wright and SOSOS. Kerridge on the small forwards might relieve Doc and Simpson. Much tighter checking required this week.

Reply #94
I have a feeling we will see a different approach against the Dees this week. We wont allow them bully us I reckon. BB would have made some of their ears ring in the post mortem.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #95
re: Robbo..looks like he has matured with a bit more responsibility and is seen as a leader now at Brisbane, would be handy for us now given his aggression but thats footy
you win some...you lose some....and Robbo will probably be a loss but you pickup a Matty Wright as a freebie and you probably get a win over a dumped player like Garlett.
We need to pickup a Robbo type for nothing as a free agent and get another win...

Reply #96
I want to see some toe-to-toe niggling on Sunday, with plenty of elbows into ribs. None of last week's "let's handball to Murph" who gets swamped and driven into the turf by 3 players. Stick a few tackles FFS.

Put Casboult out on a wing ironing a few mid-fielders out ala Collingwood game last year. Or maybe a CHB/HBF role where there was so much space for Griffith last week. He needs to throw his weight around, not just be an invisible 3rd banana in the forward line behind Wright and SOSOS. Kerridge on the small forwards might relieve Doc and Simpson. Much tighter checking required this week.

Casboult has a job to do cleaning out his shorts after his push and shove with Dusty.
Disgraceful effort

Reply #97
Casboult has a job to do cleaning out his shorts after his push and shove with Dusty.
Disgraceful effort

Mark Porter Mk.II ;D

Someone should sit him down and show him video of TreeBeard going troppo, giants can hit too!

Is there any truth in the rumor that tall people are more susceptible to fainting? :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #98
The whole 22 blokes need to fire up and show a bit of mongrel.....we've been seen for eons now as 'soft'.

We were super soft vs. the Tigers.

Oh, the shame!

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #99
The whole 22 blokes need to fire up and show a bit of mongrel.....we've been seen for eons now as 'soft'.

We were super soft vs. the Tigers.

Oh, the shame!

Too true. The senior guys need to set the examples and fly the flag. We need blood and guts, get the adrenaline pumping! Unfortunately we are very very short of players like that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #100
I'd be keeping the same side  for this week. First game of the season, people calling for the heads of blokes like Armfield and Curnow have short memories... Amongst our best last year, even though that's not saying much.

Rowe is my main concern... He easily beat Reiwoldt all night, but if I was going to drop someone to make a statement it'd just about be him... I have never seen someone so reluctant to take a mark in my life. Several times, all on his lonesome and could have taken a chest mark, and he punches the ball. WTF!!! And it was noticeable last year as well.

Reply #101
That Brendan Bolton fanatical team pressure is MIA this season.

Was slightly better at times on Thurs night but still non-existent compared to last year. We look like we're chasing our tails most of the time.

Reply #102
That Brendan Bolton fanatical team pressure is MIA this season.

Was slightly better at times on Thurs night but still non-existent compared to last year. We look like we're chasing our tails most of the time.

We were a bit better after half time but we looked very tentative in the first two quarters. I got the impression we were struggling to execute the game plan and set ups whilst under pressure, which was pretty high by the Tigers. Hopefully that will improve, starting on Sunday.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #103
I'd be keeping the same side  for this week. First game of the season, people calling for the heads of blokes like Armfield and Curnow have short memories... Amongst our best last year, even though that's not saying much.

Rowe is my main concern... He easily beat Reiwoldt all night, but if I was going to drop someone to make a statement it'd just about be him... I have never seen someone so reluctant to take a mark in my life. Several times, all on his lonesome and could have taken a chest mark, and he punches the ball. WTF!!! And it was noticeable last year as well.

That's usually caused by a lack of talk and support from fellow defenders, very rarely is it the players own fault.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #104
That's usually caused by a lack of talk and support from fellow defenders, very rarely is it the players own fault.

I'd generally agree, but it  is a long term habit of Rowe's.