Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 42594 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #150
Don't think Harry will play maybe there as a mental reminder for casboult that others are coming for his spot eventually,                do something

Reply #151
McKay should play IMHO.

Reply #152
Just on Casboult, it's worth having a look at this assessment from early last season:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/levi-casboult-has-what-it-takes-to-be-an-elite-forward-in-the-afl--if-only-he-knew-how-to-kick/news-story/9913b26d4a497fbc5291215a5a62ab93

Casboult is rated elite or above average among key forwards in 5 categories and below average or poor in 4 categories.  There's obviously room for improvement but he's not the spud that some so-called experts think he is.  I reckon he needs to kick 30-40 goals at around 60% to extend his career.

Casboult's numbers are behind both Brad Fisher and Setanta O'Hailpin, he's a spud.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #153
Just on Casboult, it's worth having a look at this assessment from early last season:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/levi-casboult-has-what-it-takes-to-be-an-elite-forward-in-the-afl--if-only-he-knew-how-to-kick/news-story/9913b26d4a497fbc5291215a5a62ab93

Casboult is rated elite or above average among key forwards in 5 categories and below average or poor in 4 categories.  There's obviously room for improvement but he's not the spud that some so-called experts think he is.  I reckon he needs to kick 30-40 goals at around 60% to extend his career.

If he was an F1 driver that report is akin to saying he's the fastest, best overtaker, fittest and strongest competitor in the field.

But he crashes every race!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #155
Charlie Curnow to start in the guts IMO.

Reply #157
Charlie Curnow to start in the guts IMO.

Agree...I see CC as a mid who can play forward and we need another big body around the footy, he also seems to need a bit of warming up in the games I have seen.
Can look lethargic and I reckon a bit more early action is what he needs to fire up...

Reply #158
It would be interesting to know how much Cripps has been limited by his pre-season layoff.  He was a shadow of himself in Rd1.  Will he grow stronger as the season progresses or will we need to wait until 2018 to see him return to his best?  Problem is, we don't really have another in-and-under. 

Reply #159
Agree...I see CC as a mid who can play forward and we need another big body around the footy, he also seems to need a bit of warming up in the games I have seen.
Can look lethargic and I reckon a bit more early action is what he needs to fire up...
I dont want to put the moz on him but he seems to get hurt easily for a bloke his size.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #160

Charlie may become a midfielder but he's not one now.  I reckon he should play as a lead up forward until he's mastered that role.  Once he's achieved that, he can be set a new challenge.

At the moment he's neither a forward or a midfielder and I think he should be given the opportunity to settle in to one position - perhaps with the odd change up if he's not getting into the game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #161
So, White and Casboult get another game, Armfield too maybe.
We must have bugger all in the VFL.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #162
Charlie may become a midfielder but he's not one now.  I reckon he should play as a lead up forward until he's mastered that role.  Once he's achieved that, he can be set a new challenge.

At the moment he's neither a forward or a midfielder and I think he should be given the opportunity to settle in to one position - perhaps with the odd change up if he's not getting into the game.

I'm not concerned if he's a mid, forward or back. To start him in the guts is to change it up for him, and the team. Unleash him and give him the challenge/opportunity to get the ball rolling for us this week.

Reply #163
I dont want to put the moz on him but he seems to get hurt easily for a bloke his size.

I agree.

At the moment Charlie Curnow's strength and durability for midfield work aren't up to scratch, that makes him a liability in the midfield which causes the the other mids to get overloaded. If my sources are correct it could be another season or two before his aerobic capacity / endurance fully recovers from having glandular fever.

If he isn't up to speed this has an effect on those around him. Once you rely on one or two doing the bulk of the work you get blokes breaking down, I don't want Cripps breaking down because we want a kid to get a glimpse of the big time!

Further is Melbourne the side you want to play dumpling mid-fielders against? (When I say dumpling it has nothing to do with Curnow's build) Blokes like Lewis, Viney and Jones have him comfortably covered and will do some real damage to the kid.

The only conditions that are not negotiable for a midfielder are physical conditioning and work ethic. Charlie might have the work ethic, but if he isn't physically up to competing it's better that he stays clear and lets the big boys play.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #164
So, White and Casboult get another game, Armfield too maybe.
We must have bugger all in the VFL.

Casboult has to back up ruck. White, no need to play him now. Prefer to play McKay.