Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 3 :Post Game Thread - Carlton vs Essendon (Read 40898 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 3 :Post Game Thread - Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #150
Going to watch a full replay of the match, will make some more comment after that.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #151
Plowman marchbank macredie doc  rowe..... the rock of gebrolta today.

Loving Williamson and sps today.

Murph bog.
Kruez inspirational.
Special mention to  Caz today. Crashed packs all day.

Well done boys.
Fantastic.

Concise and accurate :)

Reply #153
Going to watch a full replay of the match, will make some more comment after that.
Enjoy but to put it simply for you, we turned up, went hard at the man and footy for 4 qtrs, got the 4 points.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #154
He was pi55ed off b/c he wanted to say Fantasio's name more often

Yes he has a deftly habit of talking about the most irrelevant aspects of the game ???
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #155
Yesterday was the first time Johhny's Boy has banana'd one in from that pocket. Last goal on this package:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-OHvVs_VQ

And 1:06, 3:20 and 4:04 (the other pocket) in the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY_zxLv9sSs

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #157
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-10/murphy-hails-memorable-win-as-carltons-blueprint

Thanks jovial Paul.

Good to see Murphy throw Diesel's kick ass comments back at him. Maybe there's more Murphy mongrel than we know. And the team record tackle count, well that's truly music to my ears. The insipid don't break a fingernail days might finally be dead and buried.

Go new Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #158
I know that changing a winning team doesn't happen very often, but we DID have some players who must come under some pressure. Unfortunately the 2nds did do enough to put some real pressure on. However, we must consider all options.

I am not saying drop all of these guys, but:
[1] Jack Silvagni: now before I get killed, I do have some reasons to bring up Jack. I like the lad a lot. However, this season he does not appear to have the same confidence as he had last year. He is 2 - grabbing a lot of marks. Last year his hands were like a vice. He appears to have lost some confidence in his kicking. Last year he was deadly, having only 1 shot that was not on target (yes, another couple hit the post and a couple got touched, but they were headed for the goals). This year he hasn't had any close shots and he isn't the biggest kick we have. He has got the yips. Thirdly, he is fumbling more this year. One of the things that stood out for much of the year was the clean hands - not fumbling. This year he is fumbling a lot more.
None of these are hanging offences in a young lad, but I think he could go back for a couple of weeks and get his confidence back by kicking 5 or 6 in the VFL.

If he goes out, then we might blood Harry McKay, or give Jones another chance. Jones is not the long term answer, but he has been performing and probably deserves a game.

[2] Jarrod Pickett: Pickett got games because we badly need a goal sneak with pace. So far he hasn't done a lot. he did well in the pre-season, but has not done so well since. Worse in my eyes is that he has not shown composure under pressure, but made some critical errors, including dropping a high ball he was in easy position to mark and fumbling in the clear, allowing opponents to get into the contest.

I think he offers enough to persevere with. But a couple of weeks getting 20+ possessions and getting his confidence up would be beneficial.

The counter argument, alas, is easy. We are about to play GC on the fastest track in the comp and we NEED pace. 2ndly, who do we bring in? As well as some of our mids played in the VFL, not many of them can play the small forward role. Polson isn't ready yet. Armfield has been tried and has been in poor form.

[3] Harry Macreadie: I like this kid. He DOES have composure. However, he played probably his least effective game on Sunday. I would give him a spell for a few weeks and then bring him back. We do have to manage our kids.

[4] Rhys Palmer: I had hopes for Palmer, but his kicking pi##es me off big time. He had a chance to really nail Essendon and he didn't manage a score.
Maybe I am being too harsh, but we haven't seen the pace and composure yet. It was his first game.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #159
If you've got the game recorded just got to 2:43 minutes to go in the last quarter and enjoy the hit Plowman puts on Heppell. Just came in and gave him one ALMIGHTY whack to the breadbasket. So funny he was shaking his hand afterward. I'm not sure it was because he hit him that hard but it was bloody beautiful.

Other observations

For those of you who are into Daisy I suggest you have a closer look at his game. Did a lot of hard off the ball work, some tough in and unders and timely pressure acts. Will not be dropped on that effort.

Can't believe the last free kick to Kerridge when you take into account the number of boots flying about before that. A very good run from the umpires in the last. No doubt.

The joy the players showed after that final siren was something else. The faces, the excitement, the sheer happiness, well it was like when cheatsfc won the flag 2 weeks ago.  :D

Reply #160
I know that changing a winning team doesn't happen very often, but we DID have some players who must come under some pressure. Unfortunately the 2nds did do enough to put some real pressure on. However, we must consider all options.

[1] Jack Silvagni: now before I get killed, I do have some reasons to bring up Jack. I like the lad a lot. However, this season he does not appear to have the same confidence as he had last year. He is 2 - grabbing a lot of marks. Last year his hands were like a vice. He appears to have lost some confidence in his kicking. Last year he was deadly, having only 1 shot that was not on target (yes, another couple hit the post and a couple got touched, but they were headed for the goals). This year he hasn't had any close shots and he isn't the biggest kick we have. He has got the yips. Thirdly, he is fumbling more this year. One of the things that stood out for much of the year was the clean hands - not fumbling. This year he is fumbling a lot more.
None of these are hanging offences in a young lad, but I think he could go back for a couple of weeks and get his confidence back by kicking 5 or 6 in the VFL.

If he goes out, then we might blood Harry McKay, or give Jones another chance. Jones is not the long term answer, but he has been performing and probably deserves a game.

[2] Jarrod Pickett: Pickett got games because we badly need a goal sneak with pace. So far he hasn't done a lot. he did well in the pre-season, but has not done so well since. Worse in my eyes is that he has not shown composure under pressure, but made some critical errors, including dropping a high ball he was in easy position to mark and fumbling in the clear, allowing opponents to get into the contest.

I think he offers enough to persevere with. But a couple of weeks getting 20+ possessions and getting his confidence up would be beneficial.

The counter argument, alas, is easy. We are about to play GC on the fastest track in the comp and we NEED pace. 2ndly, who do we bring in? As well as some of our mids played in the VFL, not many of them can play the small forward role. Polson isn't ready yet. Armfield has been tried and has been in poor form.

[3] Harry Macreadie: I like this kid. He DOES have composure. However, he played probably his least effective game on Sunday. I would give him a spell for a few weeks and then bring him back. We do have to manage our kids.

[4] Rhys Palmer: I had hopes for Palmer, but his kicking pi##es me off big time. He had a chance to really nail Essendon and he didn't manage a score.
Maybe I am being too harsh, but we haven't seen the pace and composure yet. It was his first game.
Cant argue with much of that crash except for [3]. Macredie is a beauty who I thought was very good again in terrible conditions yesterday. As backman who will play many games for our club, he must be educated/exposed as part of that back 6 unit. To me, he looks like one of those kids who are "ready to go", like Weitering. Not sure if I explained myself but basically,I reckon he is a  "must play" unless he is injured. Williamson, after just one game, appears to be in a similar boat.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #161

Agree with Palmer as he is an experienced player who has shown stuff all in preseason, 2nds or this week. But the rest are kids that all seem to be developing nicely. Sure you can find faults in them but all exceeded my expectations so early in their careers.

Kids form fluctuates and if you focus on what they cant do you should drop them after every game.  They need time and unless they are really struggling with form or injury's i would keep playing them.

McCreadie has been amazing IMO - thought he was a rock again in trying conditions on Sunday.

As far as bringing Jones in for SOJ....having we beaten that dead horse enough. Thankfully i think we have heaps of options...Jones is gone at seasons end - cant see any value in giving him another game unless we have no options left.

Reply #162
Palmer was rusty IMO and Kerridge woeful apart from that last kick but I reckon both will play.....Polson is a bit more AFL ready than Fisher IMO but I expect both to play senior footy this season..
Got to be careful we dont over do the kids and play too many at once even though the temptation is great after Williamson's fine debut, but you can see why he was picked as he is a good size and more developed..

I agree with not playing too many kids but Kerridge was disgraceful for 119mins. Sure he kicked straight after a free kick from 20 minutes out but geez a seasoned player needs to show more then that to keep his spot.

His miss to 2 leading forward clear just 20 metres away in the first quarter sums this guy up.  

His kicking even when they is no pressure is putrid. Rather anyone in but him.

Reply #163
If you've got the game recorded just got to 2:43 minutes to go in the last quarter and enjoy the hit Plowman puts on Heppell. Just came in and gave him one ALMIGHTY whack to the breadbasket. So funny he was shaking his hand afterward. I'm not sure it was because he hit him that hard but it was bloody beautiful.

Other observations

For those of you who are into Daisy I suggest you have a closer look at his game. Did a lot of hard off the ball work, some tough in and unders and timely pressure acts. Will not be dropped on that effort.

Can't believe the last free kick to Kerridge when you take into account the number of boots flying about before that. A very good run from the umpires in the last. No doubt.

The joy the players showed after that final siren was something else. The faces, the excitement, the sheer happiness, well it was like when cheatsfc won the flag 2 weeks ago.  :D

I remember thinking at the time, "Plowman just landed a beauty!" and was expecting to hear a whistle. He must have been in just the right location to get away with it.

I agree with you about Daisy; he worked really hard off the ball, as did Palmer and Kerridge.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #164
To be honest i think Williamson really battled through the final quarter which is both good and bad but mainly good.

Showed grit, determination and sheer bloody minded ability to stick to the job even though I saw him reach for the hamstring once or twice.   Probably just cramping but he was sucking and blowing a bit.

He's had a taste and looked good and might get a rest for a week.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson