Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2017 Round 3: Northern Blues vs Coburg at Coburg (Read 27450 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2017 Round 3: Northern Blues vs Coburg at Coburg

Reply #60
The rubbish about the respect he "deserves"... He deserves the respect one human gives another, but outside of that Carlton supporters owe him absolutely NOTHING. He has absolutely impacted our ability to bring in other players due to the size of his contract.

Some criticism is fair enough but some is far fetched.
The only top footballer who has chosen to come to Carlton in the last 10 years has been Sam Docherty, given that very few Carlton supporters regard Thomas as a top footballer.
During that time Jacobs, Waite, Grigg, Betts, Henderson and Tuohy have walked and Gibbs has tried to.
But the reason we can't attract a Dangerfield or Franklin to the club is down to the size Dale Thomas' contract?
Really?
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #61
I am saying, that money talks... In this time of professional football it is a fact.
Paying Daisy his salary mad him 1 of the top 2-3 highest paid players at the club.

That certainly impacted our salary cap, it is ridiculous to image it doesn't. It is fairly simple mathematics.

Of course we will need other elements to get a player in, but Betts wanted less than Thomas was offered..

If Thomas was on 250k a year throughout his years at the club, that would have freed up what about 450-500k a year? The impact to our list would be taking a spot on the list and nothing else.

So having a player on 250k not performing doesn't impact the list, but you can only afford to pay x number of players  an A grade salary, which is what he has been paid and yes that impacts our ability to bring another one in.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #62
We have to pay 95% of the salary cap regsrdless, so given the state of our list and our woeful results over the last decade it's fair to say that we've had plenty of overpaid and underperformed players apart from Thomas.
I've been disappointed in him along with the rest but I can't see how bagging the crap out of him and booing him at matches is going to help him get to where we'd surely all like him to be.
I was rapt to see him have a big game yesterday and I can't for the life of me understand why any Carlton supporter wants to see him fail.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #63
I am saying, that money talks... In this time of professional football it is a fact.
Paying Daisy his salary mad him 1 of the top 2-3 highest paid players at the club.

That certainly impacted our salary cap, it is ridiculous to image it doesn't. It is fairly simple mathematics.

Of course we will need other elements to get a player in, but Betts wanted less than Thomas was offered..

If Thomas was on 250k a year throughout his years at the club, that would have freed up what about 450-500k a year? The impact to our list would be taking a spot on the list and nothing else.

So having a player on 250k not performing doesn't impact the list, but you can only afford to pay x number of players  an A grade salary, which is what he has been paid and yes that impacts our ability to bring another one in.

Not sure were this idea comes from, that you can pay players what you like, they have a players union and the CBA!

If Thomas was on $250K at his age and experience we'd be in big trouble with both the AFL and AFLPA, his base wage is about $370K for that many years of AFL service.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
Do you have any links to that? Because I find that to be extraordinary. He came here after a pay packet and can't imagine why he would have a trigger that said if he is playing football good enough for 15 games in his last year we get him for 1/2 the next year.

It's been widely discussed in the football media months ago, before the season even started.

The Daisy haters started kicking him before the JLT series even got underway, and then when he failed to dominate in the JLT they went up a level! There is so much rhetoric about him, I suspect if he won a Brownlow they'd claim it was rigged!

But lets face it, we still have lots of posters bagging Murphy despite his stellar start to the season, so I suppose bagging players has become the new black!

On the radio at the weekend Harf made a good point, he couldn't understand Carlton fans bagging Murphy for two clangers out of 30+ disposals. He posed the question, why are they bagging Murphy when Docherty and Simpson are playing at lower efficiency? It's a tell!

Booing Daisy is every bit as undesirable as the booing Ablett Jnr received at the weekend. These blokes aren't knobs who gobbed off and dribbled crap like Goodes, or snippers like Ziebell. They are just hard working footballers who generally go about their business quietly and without fanfare.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
No, the simple truth (again) is that Daisy fails, consistently, to impact a senior AFL match.

Care to name a game or two when he was in our best 2 or 3. ok then, try best 6 in the last season or four?

What he once was as a player and what he is today are world's apart. Arguably, a few galaxies.

Why you cannot grasp that little fact is quite beyond me.  :o :o
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #66
No, the simple truth (again) is that Daisy fails, consistently, to impact a senior AFL match.

Care to name a game or two when he was in our best 2 or 3. ok then, try best 6 in the last season or four?

What he once was as a player and what he is today are world's apart. Arguably, a few galaxies.

Why you cannot grasp that little fact is quite beyond me.  :o :o

What you fail to grasp is that his form, his value to the team and his club (Which by the way is Carlton not Collingwood), are not related to either his wage or his past abilities.

All that counts is his most recent effort and his next effort! If he starts taking short steps, isn't working hard or starts potting team-mates then he's done, but he isn't.

Whether he is earning $1M or $370K, when he plays to his current ability he is still clearly in our best 22.

Despite the loss of leg speed and kicking, Daisy's probably the equal of Gibbs at stoppages, which makes him a better stoppage option than Kerridge, E.Curnow, Boekhorst, Armfield, Buckley or Graham.

He runs every bit as hard as anyone in the team, Simpson, Murphy and Kreuzer included.

He shepherds frequently only possibly bettered by Kreuzer.

He chases harder than some if not most of the team, despite many of them being clearly faster across the ground he often passes them in the chase! That irony is not lost on many of us, especially when single minded supporters bag Daisy for being too slow and ignore the faster kid he overtakes in the chase!

Daisy knows where to be and when to be there, he is every bit as valuable to Carlton now as Brock McLean was when he was also bagged by supporters as being done and dusted before he even played a senior game.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #67
You know he is number 39 LP don't you...
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #68
You know he is number 39 LP don't you...

Yes, but I won't bend down to Mathieson Mentalities, or as I prefer to call them "The Simpleton Truth!"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
Do you have any links to that? Because I find that to be extraordinary. He came here after a pay packet and can't imagine why he would have a trigger that said if he is playing football good enough for 15 games in his last year we get him for 1/2 the next year.

From Jake Niall, Fox Sports, 27 March 2017:

While Thomas has a trigger — believed to be 15 games — that would guarantee him a substantial contract, about half of this year’s $700,000-plus, his management has spoken to the Blues about a possible deal that can avert a weekly discussion about his place in the side.

Perhaps Daisy isn't as mercenary as folk think.  Still, $350,000 odd isn't a bad pay packet for a bloke who is likely to be a depth player.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #70
It's been widely discussed in the football media months ago, before the season even started.

The Daisy haters started kicking him before the JLT series even got underway, and then when he failed to dominate in the JLT they went up a level! There is so much rhetoric about him, I suspect if he won a Brownlow they'd claim it was rigged!

But lets face it, we still have lots of posters bagging Murphy despite his stellar start to the season, so I suppose bagging players has become the new black!

On the radio at the weekend Harf made a good point, he couldn't understand Carlton fans bagging Murphy for two clangers out of 30+ disposals. He posed the question, why are they bagging Murphy when Docherty and Simpson are playing at lower efficiency? It's a tell!

Booing Daisy is every bit as undesirable as the booing Ablett Jnr received at the weekend. These blokes aren't knobs who gobbed off and dribbled crap like Goodes, or snippers like Ziebell. They are just hard working footballers who generally go about their business quietly and without fanfare.

What part of the crowd are you sitting in?

I've never heard the crowd boo either daisy or certainly not Murphy. I point out our captain won't tackle and actively runs away from defensive situations which makes it very hard to defend him.

Daisy gets very few possessions and scrubs quite a few simple kicks which is why he got dropped to the VFL. There is no conspiracy. He's not played as well as his younger and less experienced teammates.

He cops criticism because he's paid 7 times more than the guy who is out perfoming him which seems fair enough. I don't see him putting his hand up to take a pay cut to fit more/better players into our salary cap which is what hawks and cats players did for years.

Defend him if you like but be realistic about others right to criticise the bloke.

Reply #71

Perhaps Daisy isn't as mercenary as folk think.  Still, $350,000 odd isn't a bad pay packet for a bloke who is likely to be a depth player.
Gee wish I had that base salary  O0

Look I'm sure he's a lovely bloke and like with Hendo in the early days being compared to Fev, the signing of Daisy will always be linked to the ill-fated signing of MM and the loss of Eddie Betts.  It's just the way it is.  Unless he absolutely kills it and drags us over the line in numerous games this year, that perception of him, that he's been a waste of $ with us, will not change.  It's unfortunate but it's just the way it is.

I'd be busting my gut in the 2's to get a few more years on the 'lowly' amount of $350k too and whilst I'm sure he is genuinely a competitive person that will always put in 100%, the question is this - do we want him on the list?  What does he add to our list? 

Reply #72

What would Armfield be getting paid, or Jones, or Jaksch?
There's no question that Thomas hasn't delivered what we hoped he would or what his contract suggested he might, but as LP has posted all that matters is whether he's capable of getting a game on merit.
I think that he is, and that his experience and know how will be of considerable value to our young side, he's after all the only player at the club who has tasted success at senior level.
I'm happy to see what pans out, if he can force his way back into the side and play some good football all power to him, if his career fizzles out this season I'm sure it won't be for a lack of effort on his part.

Reply #73
What you fail to grasp is that his form, his value to the team and his club (Which by the way is Carlton not Collingwood), are not related to either his wage or his past abilities.

All that counts is his most recent effort and his next effort! If he starts taking short steps, isn't working hard or starts potting team-mates then he's done, but he isn't.

Whether he is earning $1M or $370K, when he plays to his current ability he is still clearly in our best 22.

Despite the loss of leg speed and kicking, Daisy's probably the equal of Gibbs at stoppages, which makes him a better stoppage option than Kerridge, E.Curnow, Boekhorst, Armfield, Buckley or Graham.

He runs every bit as hard as anyone in the team, Simpson, Murphy and Kreuzer included.

He shepherds frequently only possibly bettered by Kreuzer.

He chases harder than some if not most of the team, despite many of them being clearly faster across the ground he often passes them in the chase! That irony is not lost on many of us, especially when single minded supporters bag Daisy for being too slow and ignore the faster kid he overtakes in the chase!

Daisy knows where to be and when to be there, he is every bit as valuable to Carlton now as Brock McLean was when he was also bagged by supporters as being done and dusted before he even played a senior game.

Like your work LP but cant agree with you on this one......I'd have Ed Curnow ahead of him everyday of the work and I dont see what you see in terms of tackling, chasing, running,  and stoppage work.
I think we look better without him in the team and players like Graham(who I am no fan of either) got the opportunity vs the Swans, was reasonable and got some development into his game by playing ahead of Daisy which is more valuable to our future.
Not saying the intent isnt there but I dont see his body doing the things it did, kicking on his left seems non existant and on his right he would be lucky to make 40m with his best kick.....
I think he should do what Bartel did and hang up the boots with his dignity still intact, pursue coaching or media and make this year his last...

Reply #74
What part of the crowd are you sitting in?

I've never heard the crowd boo either daisy or certainly not Murphy. I point out our captain won't tackle and actively runs away from defensive situations which makes it very hard to defend him.

Daisy gets very few possessions and scrubs quite a few simple kicks which is why he got dropped to the VFL. There is no conspiracy. He's not played as well as his younger and less experienced teammates.

He cops criticism because he's paid 7 times more than the guy who is out perfoming him which seems fair enough. I don't see him putting his hand up to take a pay cut to fit more/better players into our salary cap which is what hawks and cats players did for years.

Defend him if you like but be realistic about others right to criticise the bloke.

GC game he got booed at the intro and at most contests he attempted and the ones he failed he copped a real pasting.....very embarrassing to see our supporters carry on like that.
There is some real hate of the man and his Collingwood background, and being a Malthouse love child on big money have fuelled it....