Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2017 Round 3: Northern Blues vs Coburg at Coburg (Read 27452 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2017 Round 3: Northern Blues vs Coburg at Coburg

Reply #75
GC game he got booed at the intro and at most contests he attempted and the ones he failed he copped a real pasting.....very embarrassing to see our supporters carry on like that.
There is some real hate of the man and his Collingwood background, and being a Malthouse love child on big money have fuelled it....

He's been on a hiding to nothing ever since he came to the club really, I honestly feel for the bloke.
My sister is a 50 plus year member and she's almost obsessed about him, she blames him for just about everything that's gone wrong at the club in recent times.
She's convinced that he's the reason that Eddie Betts left and nothing anyone can say to her will change her mind.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #76
Not sure were this idea comes from, that you can pay players what you like, they have a players union and the CBA!

If Thomas was on $250K at his age and experience we'd be in big trouble with both the AFL and AFLPA, his base wage is about $370K for that many years of AFL service.

Unless the rules have changed
You have absolutely just made that up

If they have I apologise but I have seen nothing that indicates what you are saying is true
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #77

If they have I apologise but I have seen nothing that indicates what you are saying is true

I can diagnose your problem, you're suffering Daisy Blindness!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #78
He's been on a hiding to nothing ever since he came to the club really, I honestly feel for the bloke.
My sister is a 50 plus year member and she's almost obsessed about him, she blames him for just about everything that's gone wrong at the club in recent times.
She's convinced that he's the reason that Eddie Betts left and nothing anyone can say to her will change her mind.
She must post on here then ;D, what's her handle  ;D?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #80
Do you have any links to that? Because I find that to be extraordinary. He came here after a pay packet and can't imagine why he would have a trigger that said if he is playing football good enough for 15 games in his last year we get him for 1/2 the next year.

If he has resigned it recently to change the value of the trigger, that could be a different matter.

The rubbish about the respect he "deserves"... He deserves the respect one human gives another, but outside of that Carlton supporters owe him absolutely NOTHING. He has absolutely impacted our ability to bring in other players due to the size of his contract.

It is okay, it is football, he signed the contract and is entitled to the cash.. that is the way it works... But being on our list has comfortably been a negative in regards to our list management and I can't wait to see the back of him.

Talk about he must be picked because of culture etc.

Well it is okay to say that a player on 700k a year has to be doing more to get a game than Charlie Curnow does. That he must be demanding games with his performances. I remember Nicky Winmar coming back through the 2s many years ago and picking up over 50 possessions.

Players in the top 5% of paid AFL professionals need to play better than he does.
I would happily see him never play another senior game

You said it. He's been contracted and given the cash. He is on the list.

All that matters from this point is if his performance is at or better than the alternatives. This includes leadership, on-field performance, effort and following instructions/directions.

Given how poor our team structure was against Port when we had so many kids in the team, i think the ability to know where you are supposed to be at any given time, and the desire to do the hard running to get there, is severely underrated.

You, along with many others, have made it clear your feelings on Daisy and nothing he can do will change that. So lets just leave it there.

Reply #81
If Daisy agrees to get similar money as Billie Smedts for two years I would keep him for depth

Reply #82

Yeah I don't know of any different conditions in the CBA that is specific to older/longer serving players.
There are 4 minimum pay categories.
1 - Base and Senior match payments
2 - First Year players
3 - Second Year players
4 - Rookie Listed Players

Reply #83
On Daisy's 15 games to a contract extension just to clear something up:

I believe this was a caveat on his original contract, to ensure that if his body didn't recover as expected, we could end the contract a year earlier and that the number of games was quite a lot higher over the journey.

It wasnt to do with his "final season".

My thinking is that had he not had his shoulder stuffed against Richmond two years ago, this would have been a moot point by now, and that he would have already met the conditions to get his 5th year.

I also fully expect that we have been front loading our big contracts and that our 95% of our salary cap has well and truly paid for Daisy by now.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #84
Just on Daisy, I was a real hater, blamed him for every loss we had I reckon! I've changed now though and the reason why is that I now trust our coaches and match committee to play the guys that deserve a game and not play the ones that don't, never had that trust when Malthouse was there.
I came to the conclusion, (belatetedly!) , that the coaches can see the mistake he makes as well as I can but if they keep picking him he must be doing the things on gameday and on the training track that they are asking of him, when he doesn't they won't pick him.

It's a great feeling to have trust again in your club to do the right things.

Reply #85
On Daisy's 15 games to a contract extension just to clear something up:

I believe this was a caveat on his original contract, to ensure that if his body didn't recover as expected, we could end the contract a year earlier and that the number of games was quite a lot higher over the journey.

It wasnt to do with his "final season".

My thinking is that had he not had his shoulder stuffed against Richmond two years ago, this would have been a moot point by now, and that he would have already met the conditions to get his 5th year.

I also fully expect that we have been front loading our big contracts and that our 95% of our salary cap has well and truly paid for Daisy by now.

Yes, I agree Thry, the "15 game" stuff and the "1/2 wage" is just media speculation that they have all picked up and ran with.

As an experiment I went back through the media reports over the last four or five years to find Daisy's wage has steadily grown, it seems the more injuries and problems he had the more we paid him. Lucky bastard! ;D

If I recall correctly what his manager said was that the extension year wage of Daisy's contract would be considerably less than the main years, and that he had to meet performance criteria to qualify for the last year. His manager never mentioned any figures, or if the criteria was meet or yet to be meet, if he had it would have effectively meant the end of his career as a player manager!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #86
Just on Daisy, I was a real hater, blamed him for every loss we had I reckon! I've changed now though and the reason why is that I now trust our coaches and match committee to play the guys that deserve a game and not play the ones that don't, never had that trust when Malthouse was there.
I came to the conclusion, (belatetedly!) , that the coaches can see the mistake he makes as well as I can but if they keep picking him he must be doing the things on gameday and on the training track that they are asking of him, when he doesn't they won't pick him.

So you're Blueforlife's sister!!!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #87

Great post.

It's pretty easy to focus on the negatives, and a negative seems to account for ten or more positives.

I'm very guilty of the same myself, especially when watching someone like Adam Goodes or Lindsay Thomas stage for a free kick, or Ziebell and Hodge smash opponents. All their other efforts are quickly forgotten! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #88
Great post.

It's pretty easy to focus on the negatives, and a negative seems to account for ten or more positives.

I'm very guilty of the same myself, especially when watching someone like Adam Goodes or Lindsay Thomas stage for a free kick, or Ziebell and Hodge smash opponents. All their other efforts are quickly forgotten! ;D

If Ziebell or Hodge wore Navy Blue we'd all be in raptures about how tough they were and what leadership they showed, our leaders (except Cripps) are constantly under the pump for being introverted and soft.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #89
Craig Hutchinson on FC confidently suggested Daisy wont get his 15 games and wont be at the club next season.....