Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 6: Post game Awesomeness (Read 33442 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 6: Post game Awesomeness

Reply #75
Listening to the various post match pressers, it seems he is affectionately known around the club ASOS.

It's ACoS, as in Alex Cousin of SOS.

They pronounce it "ACEoS" as in AC/DC, it was given to him as a nickname by Murphy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #76
If what Bolton said last week is true, about players getting picked on form, then Alex will be first picked next week. You cannot have both a "picked on form" and a "play the kids" policy. The kids will not always be in form, and will not always be able to do the job.
If you listen to his post match interview with Debolfo, at the end Tony mentioned the Collingwood game and whether he is looking forward to it, Alex's reply suggested he is very confident of playing next week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #78
I want to ask a question about player ratings.

I hadn't looked at the official AFL player ratings until today, but as I understood it from the newspapers and websites like Foxtel, Murphy who has had a stellar start to 2017 was rated highly, some had him ranked 1st.

Today I go to the, AFL Schick Player Ratings and find Dangerfield ahead of the field by a 20% margin, Murphy is ranked in 153rd place!

By his standards and as rated by the media, Dangerfield is having an ordinary start to 2017 and is not even in the 2017 top 30, plenty of possessions but turning the ball over a lot!

I realise that there are significant differences in the way these systems work, for example the AFL system works on the last 40 games. But it seems the the AFL website is a little deceptive in that is doesn't represent form very well. You would have thought 5 or 6 straight weeks of high output at the start of a season should see a player rank fairly highly in the official system, especially given in AFL it is rare for any player to have more than 10 or 12 dominant games in any season.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #80
A lot has been said about many players and they are all deserving of praise for a solid team effort.  I would just like to add my thoughts on a couple of players.

First of all, I thought that Nick Graham really looked like he belonged out there.  I had written him off but it seems that I was wrong ... again!

I wasn't expecting ACOS to get a call up (who is he replacing on the list?) but he just carried on with the form he has been showing in the NBs.  I think it was Murph who said that you stay away from ACOS at training because he tackles so fiercely.  I'm not sure that ACOS will be a regular player but he will be if he can maintain that form.

Finally, I have to acknowledge Simmo's game.  He was back to his best and I am revising my prediction that he will retire at the end of the season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #81
Finally, I have to acknowledge Simmo's game.  He was back to his best and I am revising my prediction that he will retire at the end of the season.

Seemed to play further up the ground in a role that gave him more freedom. 

Reply #82
Seemed to play further up the ground in a role that gave him more freedom.

Possibly, or did he just take the game on and create more opportunities.  Either way, he is great to watch when he's in that form.

I'd like to see him continue to hit the scoreboard and deliver the ball inside 50.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #83
Possibly, or did he just take the game on and create more opportunities.  Either way, he is great to watch when he's in that form.

I'd like to see him continue to hit the scoreboard and deliver the ball inside 50.

that goal he kicked surprised him i think - looked a bit startled that he was in space and had the time to have a crack. yep, great game by him. indeed a real team effort again.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #84
Alex Silvagni did exactly what he did for freo and what he did in the preseason and what he did in the VFL.

What's not to get.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #85
Happy that Rohan is ok, BUT
 Bit of a sliding doors moment, say he got up from that incident without injury,  Would he be looking at a possible suspension for his reckless attempt at a spoil that could have potentially taken Rowes head off ??

I get that the AFL community as a whole is concerned for his health, but when you look at the incident, everything about it is reckless, with Rowe imo, very lucky not to receive a serious injury.
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #86
Having ASOS in the back line benefited the team in at least 2 ways :

1. giving the older blokes another experienced head to share the load
2. allowed Siimmo to play further up the ground to show us skills I had long forgotten, and be a genuine creative playmaker. Some of those shimmies, swerves etc. in the center square were Ablett-like. Beautiful to watch. 

I'm not an advocate of play the kids at all costs.The only criterion for team selection is 22 players who give us the best chance of winning the game.

If our senior / experienced players are as crap as people say, and our kids are as good as people say, then the kids will get their chances sooner rather than later, without some dopey ageist policy that gifts them games.

Reply #87

Interestingly, we seemed to have a plan to get stuck into Wright's opponent Mills.  He was tackled, bumped, pushed, elbowed and verbally harassed mercilessly.  In the last quarter he was gang tackled and you could see the tacklers getting into his ear.  When he was released Wright got stuck into him physically and verbally.  That we continued the tactic until the end of the game suggests a long term objective.

I think Mills likes to mouth off a bit... I think the GWS got stuck into him last week as well.

Reply #88
Happy that Rohan is ok, BUT
 Bit of a sliding doors moment, say he got up from that incident without injury,  Would he be looking at a possible suspension for his reckless attempt at a spoil that could have potentially taken Rowes head off ??

I get that the AFL community as a whole is concerned for his health, but when you look at the incident, everything about it is reckless, with Rowe imo, very lucky not to receive a serious injury.

We should start a petition.

This one gets 4 weeks....
[flash=854,480]https://www.youtube.com/v/q4ySTzFeW5g[/flash]

This one gets told how brave he is...
[flash=854,480]https://www.youtube.com/v/jykAbQ0zZoM[/flash]

Reply #89
I was watching the Ch7 footy show before - Game Day? - and they had Heeny on who was talking about having Glandular Fever, saying how if he doesn't get adequate rest he still feels knocked around now and even after exercise he feels depleted.  Think some people had unrealistic expectations of CCurnow in previous games...

Other thing - Hodge is on that show.  They were talking about Asos and Buddy and they briefly showed the vision of Buddy hitting Asos in the throat and Hodge dismissed it, saying oh Buddy just getting a little frustrated there.... BY WHAT? the game hadn't even started yet ffs.  Of course no one continued discussing it  ::)