Skip to main content
Topic: Talking Tactics - Our Forward Structure In 2017 (Read 31235 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Talking Tactics - Our Forward Structure In 2017

Reply #120
Gibbs is underated by our fans.  He has sacrificed his game for the good of the team since the year he was drafted, playing many different roles and positions (some to his detriment) because this is where we need him.

He is not a superstar in the Dangerfield, Selwood, Cripps, Judd mould, but he is one of those players that gets the job done weekly, and does much more than the average punter appreciates during a game.

Its the iceberg effect with most of our players. You wont see 95% of the things they do, because they are done without the ball, down field, just off the play, and what this does is allow the youngsters the time and space to learn roles and make an impact.

If you take Gibbs out of our team, it might decrease the ability of Cripps to work inside, and Samo to help get his hands on the ball, and will place even more pressure on Murphy at most of the contests.  We are already crying out for mature bodies to help our youngsters, and I just dont see the point of decreasing a weak point (mature bodies who are good at AFL level) just to bolster the ranks of what is currently the majority of our list, and that is young bodies.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #121
Good post Thry.

Reply #122
I see the point very clearly.

It's a reset.

We ditch Gibbs and Thomas, buy two or three emerging mids (with a few runs on the board), heck even a gun with the money that will be freed up!

I still believe Gibbs chooses when to turn up, that's a bad example!

And his lazy round the corner kicking is more and more on display this year. Causes cheap turnovers every time.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #123
I see the point very clearly.

It's a reset.

We ditch Gibbs and Thomas, buy two or three emerging mids (with a few runs on the board), heck even a gun with the money that will be freed up!

I still believe Gibbs chooses when to turn up, that's a bad example!

And his lazy round the corner kicking is more and more on display this year. Causes cheap turnovers every time.

Couldn't agree more Fly!

Reply #124
Gibbs is underated by our fans.  He has sacrificed his game for the good of the team since the year he was drafted, playing many different roles and positions (some to his detriment) because this is where we need him.

He is not a superstar in the Dangerfield, Selwood, Cripps, Judd mould, but he is one of those players that gets the job done weekly, and does much more than the average punter appreciates during a game.

Its the iceberg effect with most of our players. You wont see 95% of the things they do, because they are done without the ball, down field, just off the play, and what this does is allow the youngsters the time and space to learn roles and make an impact.

If you take Gibbs out of our team, it might decrease the ability of Cripps to work inside, and Samo to help get his hands on the ball, and will place even more pressure on Murphy at most of the contests.  We are already crying out for mature bodies to help our youngsters, and I just dont see the point of decreasing a weak point (mature bodies who are good at AFL level) just to bolster the ranks of what is currently the majority of our list, and that is young bodies.

I suspect that Bolton and company have a very different view of Gibbs than some supporters have.  Notice how Bolton mentioned Gibbs first when he spoke about the leaders driving our third quarter against the Swans.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #125
If the Crows win the flag they wont want Gibbs and we might find it hard to move him on for any decent return, as it is the junior  mids in the Crouch bros, Atkins are dominating and probably better than Gibbs IMO...I dont think he will bring any great trade deal and will probably remain a Carlton player...

Reply #126
I too suspect the moment for Gibbs to go to the Crows has passed and that he will likely at least play out his contract with us. Who knows after that?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #127
I too suspect the moment for Gibbs to go to the Crows has passed and that he will likely at least play out his contract with us. Who knows after that?

I have our Grand final window open in 2020-2022 and Gibbs will be 30-32.... we need wiley veterans on the list and would not mind one iota if he stays