Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 7: pre game protestations Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 43082 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 7: pre game protestations Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #75
I'm more concerned about their small forwards in this one. We don't have natural matchups down back for them. We have Doc and Simmo but both are too valuable to be shut down close checking a dangerous forward.

Fasolo, Elliott and Sidebottom when he rests forward are my worry. Rowe/ACOS will be able to handle Moore and Cox IMO and Marchbank is there if Reid (think he will play back)/White return. Apart from GC game no other big forwards got us this year and after what we did to Reid and Buddy last week im confident in this area. 

That means their only way to kick a winning score is through their smaller forwards and mid's hitting the scoreboard.

Need a massive defensive midfield effort this week. A winnable game if we can do it. 

Reply #76
I'm more concerned about their small forwards in this one. We don't have natural matchups down back for them. We have Doc and Simmo but both are too valuable to be shut down close checking a dangerous forward.

Fasolo, Elliott and Sidebottom when he rests forward are my worry. Rowe/ACOS will be able to handle Moore and Cox IMO and Marchbank is there if Reid (think he will play back)/White return. Apart from GC game no other big forwards got us this year and after what we did to Reid and Buddy last week im confident in this area. 

That means their only way to kick a winning score is through their smaller forwards and mid's hitting the scoreboard.

Need a massive defensive midfield effort this week. A winnable game if we can do it. 

I'm concerned about their mids resting forward as well, but not their small forwards. Fasolo is kicking terribly at the moment, Elliott isn't close to his pre injury form, and looks rusty as. Is Blair injured ?

Whilst not natural match ups as such, I reckon Marchbank and Plowman can cover Fas and Elliott easily.

I'm moore worried about More ;-)

Reply #77

Yep. Elliot must be due for a breakout and Fasolo and Sidebottom can be dangerous at anytime.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #78
And Varcoe is a big out for mine. He's one of their few players with real spark and zip, and runs hard both ways. Has to be a big plus for us.

Reply #79
Not sure about Blair, whether he's injured or not. Always seems to do well against us though.

Reply #80
I'm concerned about their mids resting forward as well, but not their small forwards. Fasolo is kicking terribly at the moment, Elliott isn't close to his pre injury form, and looks rusty as. Is Blair injured ?

Whilst not natural match ups as such, I reckon Marchbank and Plowman can cover Fas and Elliott easily.

I'm moore worried about More ;-)

I'm keen on slightly bigger players vs Elliott and Fasalo, while the latter isnt kicking great he is a good contested mark for his inches and both Collingwood players would outmark Simpson..
 and Docherty too easily IMO....

Reply #81
I would do something like the following:

Willo to Sidebottom
Plow to Fasolo
AcOS to Moore
Rowe to Cox
Marchy to WHE
Doc to Elliott (run off him and expose the lack of fitness)

The rest a midfield rotations, then they have to find match ups for our fwds.

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #82
I'm keen on slightly bigger players vs Elliott and Fasalo, while the latter isnt kicking great he is a good contested mark for his inches and both Collingwood players would outmark Simpson..
 and Docherty too easily IMO....

EB. I'd like to see Doc and Simmo playing where they did against the Swans. I know the Pies are a different team, but we need players who can create around the ball. I'm backing in Plow and Marchy to do the business on Fas and Elliott.

Hoskin Elliott, whilst ostensibly a forward, plays around the ground a fair bit. I'm not sure who goes to him. I really rate him based on what I've seen this year.

Reply #83
Hoskin Elliott, whilst ostensibly a forward, plays around the ground a fair bit. I'm not sure who goes to him. I really rate him based on what I've seen this year.
See my suggestion above. Marchy has a big tank so I would use him on WHE. Either him or Willo (who I had pencilled in for Sidey).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #84
Jones likely for selection this week. Was featured on a CFC video re his performance with the NBs last week.

Reply #85
Jones likely for selection this week. Was featured on a CFC video re his performance with the NBs last week.

Interesting. Wonder who he will replace as none of our guys deserve to be dropped but maybe SOJ won't pull up? This has been discussed already and it's definitely not like for like but maybe we'll still go that way?

Reply #86
Interesting. Wonder who he will replace as none of our guys deserve to be dropped but maybe SOJ won't pull up? This has been discussed already and it's definitely not like for like but maybe we'll still go that way?

they should rest the kid no question.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #87
they should rest the kid no question.

Agree. If he plays he will be targeted/tested and if he's not 100% it's not worth the risk.

Reply #88
Ramp up the pressure early and watch their skills go to crap .

Hope it's not wet.

There's no real reason we can't win this but I just think the Pies will be a bit too big , fit and experienced for us .

That Geelong win will give them terrific confidence but not too much that they take the game easy.

Handy that we played probably the harder game last week and that it was on the MCG, but not enough for us to win.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #89
Looks like Varcoe out for the Pies.

The Pies ???????

I take it you mean the Filth !!  ;)
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.