Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton 2017 - Review (Read 14677 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton 2017 - Review

Reply #15
Feel very positive. We have got plenty of games into players and developing a style that will win us more than lose in the longer term.

Our back line is stabilising well, with a set of roles emerging that shows the team is able to stick to a structure.

We have an emerging spine of Jones or silvagni, weitering, curnow. McKay has plenty of potential and just a shame he is unlikely to get some more experience this year.

Weitering will be fine. We want tough, resiliant players to be our leaders. Provided he works through the challenge, this year is an excellent development for him. He is only 19.

So we need midfielders. Great, as midfielders are more available to draft and trade.  The middle is also a team effort more, making the return on coaching and development greater.

Given the youth, we have done OK this year. The many close games show we are maintaining shape and concentration.  The possession heavy defensive style is fine by me. That's what wins over a long season and in finals.  Expect scoring to increase next year as the back line works and the midfield gets a bit more depth.

Reply #16
If you look at the past 5-10 seasons, at this time of year we were being smashed by 8-10 goals more often than not.

This season we are obviously young, tired and injuries have thinned our stocks, but we are not being smashed game after game.

As annoying as this week was, we only lost by a goal and, again, we were leading in the last quarter.

These kids, who had hardly even played their first match a year ago, are playing against players (grown men) who have been at it for ten years and have "superstar" next to their names - and we do OK...
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #17

If Weitering was 22 or 23 I'd be worried..... but he's 19 in his second year he'll be fine.

I'm not remotely concerned about his long term future, in fact I think it will do him more good than harm to be beaten by some mature bodied forwards like Hooker early in his career.
He's been used to beating everyone he played on at junior level and the realisation that AFL is a different matter will stand him in good stead, he has all of the attributes of a top class footballer.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #18
You have to measure improvement also vs other teams, while we have improved I'm not so sure its at the same rate as some other teams, truth is teams like the Swans, Cats and to a lesser extent the Hawks have not dropped off like they are meant to and have rebuilt on the sly with no bottoming out.  We got beat by a bunch of kids in Brisbane who also ran the Bulldogs close last night... are we just on par with Brisbane in reality?
Sure have we improved but are we improving at the right rate to progress up the ladder and when are these other teams who are meant to be dropping away going to do so and become the easybeats like we have been.
I'm not so sure this year has been that great to be honest and if not for our rising star nominees and the rebirth of Liam Jones I wouldnt be giving it a pass.

Reply #19
I'm not talking about Premierships EB, all that I'm saying is that at long last I'm happy with the direction we're heading and the methods we're using to get there.
Whether it will lead to the ultimate success nobody knows but I'm as confident as I can be that within two or three years we'll be a consistently competitive outfit.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #20
Positives:
[1] The rebirth of Liam Jones:
When we recruited Jones we were dubious. It got worse with his 1st season with us, leading us to think that we had made a serious blunder.
Last year, his 2nd with us, was a bit different. He may not have been a great goal kicker, but he wasn't a dud of 2015. He chased, he tackled, he flew for screamers, but he still didn't get enough of the ball and his kicks for goal were... questionable. Opinion was that he was playing out his contract.
Come 2017 and Liam Jones is one of the most positives things to come out of this year. He had to move to defence, but it changed his game. He hasn't been beaten yet as a defender, although our defensive non-organization last week against Geelong meant that his nominal opponent kicked a bag.

[2] The Baby Blues:
We've had a lot of guys playing their 1st or second season and most of them have shown they will be senior players for us. One or 2 look like being big names. But we've tried a lot of kids and, for the most part, they have been worth the effort. Charlie Curnow, Jack Silvagni, Caleb Marchbank, Harry McKay, Tom Williamson, Harry Macreadie, Lachie Plowman, Sam Petrevski-Seton and Jacob Weitering (even if his form has been down for a few weeks now) have lead that charge, with Zac Fisher, Cam Polson, Jed Lamb and David Cuningham looking promising.

[3] Emergence of Alex Silvagni:
Like Jones, Alex Silvagni has made a significant contribution, while he' s been fit.
Now he needs to stay fit.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
I'm not talking about Premierships EB, all that I'm saying is that at long last I'm happy with the direction we're heading and the methods we're using to get there.
Whether it will lead to the ultimate success nobody knows but I'm as confident as I can be that within two or three years we'll be a consistently competitive outfit.

Completely agree. Are we 100 points worse than Port or better than GWS because we beat them? It is all relative.  Like you b4l I agree it is about the path we are taking to get there which seems more measured and strategic to achieve sustained success.

Reply #22
Positives:
[1] The rebirth of Liam Jones:
When we recruited Jones we were dubious. It got worse with his 1st season with us, leading us to think that we had made a serious blunder.
Last year, his 2nd with us, was a bit different. He may not have been a great goal kicker, but he wasn't a dud of 2015. He chased, he tackled, he flew for screamers, but he still didn't get enough of the ball and his kicks for goal were... questionable. Opinion was that he was playing out his contract.
Come 2017 and Liam Jones is one of the most positives things to come out of this year. He had to move to defence, but it changed his game. He hasn't been beaten yet as a defender, although our defensive non-organization last week against Geelong meant that his nominal opponent kicked a bag.

[2] The Baby Blues:
We've had a lot of guys playing their 1st or second season and most of them have shown they will be senior players for us. One or 2 look like being big names. But we've tried a lot of kids and, for the most part, they have been worth the effort. Charlie Curnow, Jack Silvagni, Caleb Marchbank, Harry McKay, Tom Williamson, Harry Macreadie, Lachie Plowman, Sam Petrevski-Seton and Jacob Weitering (even if his form has been down for a few weeks now) have lead that charge, with Zac Fisher, Cam Polson, Jed Lamb and David Cuningham looking promising.

[3] Emergence of Alex Silvagni:
Like Jones, Alex Silvagni has made a significant contribution, while he' s been fit.
Now he needs to stay fit.

It almost sounds like we had a good year when you say it like that Crash!  ;D
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #24
I'm not remotely concerned about his long term future, in fact I think it will do him more good than harm to be beaten by some mature bodied forwards like Hooker early in his career.
He's been used to beating everyone he played on at junior level and the realisation that AFL is a different matter will stand him in good stead, he has all of the attributes of a top class footballer.

I agree with that.  It's a good year for his development as footballer.

Weitering has had to shoulder quite a burden with the loss of Rowe, then Silvagni and Marchbank not being as effective since his return.  I reckon he is doing OK. 

He may have lost some contests yesterday but I think that he played with more freedom than he has for quite a while.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
i think his current 'problems' are between his ears....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #28
Then we have overrated Weiterings ability.  :-[

With ACOS and Rowe back maybe we can cut back on the expectations and let him find a position and settle, maybe a Jack Gunston role down forward.
Dont think he enjoys the big bodies like Mr Hooker and if you look at his shoulders he isnt a real big defender in the making.
I thought he was a better defender but I dont think he is liking it too much so maybe  his future is forward but he needs settling if we do it not moving back and forth.
Intelligent lad and like Gunston plays a smart rather than power game and Bolton needs to work out where he needs to be playing...we stuffed up Andrew Walker by using him to troubleshoot
so we need to be careful with JW.

Reply #29
Our situation reminds me a bit of the old riddle.

How many backmen can you fit in a backline?

Pick your best backline and look who you've left out ???

If everyone's available (and even allowing a couple of extras to cover injuries) how the hell do we cater for all these blokes.
Some players are going to have to reinvent themselves as mids or forwards.