Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton 2017 - Review (Read 14672 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton 2017 - Review

Reply #30
Our situation reminds me a bit of the old riddle.

How many backmen can you fit in a backline?

Pick your best backline and look who you've left out ???

If everyone's available (and even allowing a couple of extras to cover injuries) how the hell do we cater for all these blokes.
Some players are going to have to reinvent themselves as mids or forwards.

Which is why, again, i refer to the recruitment of A. Silvagni.

As good as he has been for us, he is surplus to us....or creates a surplus for us when we play him.

We are doing a rebuild, we didn't need a bandaid.

We would've been better off (long term) spending that slot on our key forward (or a mid).

Reply #31
Which is why, again, i refer to the recruitment of A. Silvagni.

As good as he has been for us, he is surplus to us....or creates a surplus for us when we play him.

We are doing a rebuild, we didn't need a bandaid.

We would've been better off (long term) spending that slot on our key forward (or a mid).

Fair point...losing Rowe though really hurt, while we have a glut of defenders we dont have any apart from the now reborn Jones who can take the big units and it just
happened on the weekend that Essendon had two and we got caught out with JW on Hooker.
ACOS and Rowe are both short term future players and in a year or two we will be looking at another big key defender to help Jones.
Like ruckman I think you can trade in defenders but good quality mids and forwards are harder to secure that way and you need to pay more or draft them...the game really is about mids these days....
you can have a very good midfield like Richmond, one decent key back(Rance) and one decent key forward(JackR) and you are competitive top 8 material.
Midfield depth has to be priority, you cant lose Cripps and then become non competitive......

Reply #32
Some humble thoughts.

It's difficult to assess our year, clearly and succinctly... and there's still a bit to go. On the surface, Ws and Ls, it is a cr@p year thus far with us sitting 2nd bottom. That is horrible and galling.

Talk of CFC supporters being 'conned' again from the media fuels discontent and suspicions, after all we were conned mercilessly from around 2001 until early 2015. So, this together with another poor year (Ws and Ls wise), makes it hard to be optimistic... and patient... or gullible going into 2018.

However, despite all this 'surface' stuff, it would seem 'the new team' has done everything we asked them to do... no more quick fixes, no more saviours and FFS not another Messiah! But, if we look similar to where we are now this time next year then I think the word conned will have grown big muscular legs.

As difficult as it is, to be really objective, I think it only reasonable to factor into our situation some sobering and important realities when assessing 2017:

CEO and President inherited a cot case, on and off field.

New Senior Coach and recruiting chief (SOS) inherited a recruiting and development, well, pile of cr@p. A succession of failed key position recruits (Watson and Co.) and outside mids (Lucas & Co) greeted them.

After 2-3 years, most of the non-hackers are off the list... just a few to go. And that means we're out of balance, too much youth at present. But will the investment pay off? There are some distance rays of sunshine on the horizon... woops, sorry, green shoots!

So, 2017. Positives:
Continued transparency from the club CEO and President.

Injury updates have much less bullshizen and more transparency also.

Very good reason to be optimistic about the prospects, on the field, of newly/recently introduced players: SOJ, Samo, H, Jones (he's a first year recruit!!!!!), Weitering, Marchbank, Curnow C, Plowman, Fisher, Macreadie, Willow, Pickett & ACOS. Cautious optimism re: Cuningham (I'm still yet to be convinced - too much invisibility), Polson, Smedts (I'm not as pessimistic as some about this bloke), Sheehan (50/50), Lamb (coming along nicely) & Kerr.

Weitering was wobbling but has looked better recently. Much better.

The senior blokes who have stood up well with increased load owing to injuries include Gibbs, Murphy, Kreuzer, Docherty & Matty Wright.

Injuries to Cripps, Curnow E, ACOS, Bunsen & Phillips haven’t help.

Foot soldiers who've been really honest and given their best when needed: Kerridge, Rowe, Graham, Thomas, White & Meat. I'd like to see us keep them all with the possible exception of Meat.

Negatives:
Dylan Buckley has failed to improve enough on last year. One more chance/depth player?

Time for a great servant, Den Den, to hang up the boots.

Kade Simpson, sadly, is showing signs of the game having passed him... ?retire?

Good-bye: Boekhorst, Sumner, Jaksch, Gorringe, JGM, Korcheck, Gallucci. And maybe Meat. Hopefully not Gibbs.

In summary, I don't think you can, in all fairness, ask if we're better than last year. Last year and this should be clumped together and compared to 2015 - and then the improvement is palpable, especially the emergence of a developing culture which BB seems to be building just nicely.

I think that all the questions of green shoots, SOS recruiting excellence, moving from team defence into more scoring and so on will be answered next year... when Ws and Ls WILL be more important than for last year and this.

For 2018? We need a significant improvement in midfield strength, mongrel, depth, experience and speed, then, I reckon, more scoring will take care of itself.

It’s been a fair-dinkum reset (bravo ‘new team’), with another very busy end of season draft / recruiting drive required. But let's see if we can get some quality experience into the joint. :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #33
We had 5 wins this years and 6 matches where we have led in the last qtr and lost. Using the ifs and buts theory if the final siren blew around the 15 min mark of the last qtr we'd potentially be sitting pretty close to top 4 with 11 wins. On that basis we have improved, made life miserable for good sides. The only real embarrassing blot was the Brisbane game.

I'm very happy with our defensively game but over the next 12 months I want that to become our Plan B. We have shown that ability to change things up, shutting down opposition side's momentum when we have fallen behind and get right back into the game. That has been very impressive. Other years we'd have just got flogged. The next step now is to win games when we have taken the lead in the last qtr.

Reply #34
Some humble thoughts.

Well considered Baggers.

I reckon most well-informed supporters would be on the same page.  We have a way to go but the foundations are in place.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #35
Fair point...losing Rowe though really hurt, while we have a glut of defenders we dont have any apart from the now reborn Jones who can take the big units and it just
happened on the weekend that Essendon had two and we got caught out with JW on Hooker.
ACOS and Rowe are both short term future players and in a year or two we will be looking at another big key defender to help Jones.
Like ruckman I think you can trade in defenders but good quality mids and forwards are harder to secure that way and you need to pay more or draft them...the game really is about mids these days....
you can have a very good midfield like Richmond, one decent key back(Rance) and one decent key forward(JackR) and you are competitive top 8 material.
Midfield depth has to be priority, you cant lose Cripps and then become non competitive......

How good would that midfield be without Dusty? Shizen.

And Geelong without Danger? Shizen

And the Crows without Sloane - until this year, shizen.

Pies without Pendles....?

Remember we lost Cripps and Curnow - both in the first handful picked, week in week out - and no else - on our current list - can do what Ed does....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #36
The key to the future is "Development" once we secure these young players.
It's an area where we've been pretty poor.

A lot of folk are pointing to our five rising star nominations and saying it's an indication we've found some gems.

A look at rising star nominations over the years certainly shows a fair selection of quality players from other clubs.

We had two rising star nominations in 2014...Dylan Buckley and Troy Menzel.

It's what we do with the development of our youngsters that counts.

We need to see more 'Charlie Curnow' like growth and improvement and less second year blues and stagnation.

Reply #37

We've cooked Weitering, the kid looked good enough to be superstar, and I realise most players get the 2nd year blues, but we've cooked him. I'm not sure he can recover from what we've done to his confidence and game. He's gone from a Rising Star attacking intercept player to a stay at home and mind your opponent dogs body!

I hope/hope/hope that this was the plan - try to teach him some defensive side of his game, this year - so he is not just a Harry Taylor / Dustin Fletcher, who cant actually man up when required....... then next year, unleash him with some better balance to his game???? Any chance??

Reply #38
How good would that midfield be without Dusty? Shizen.

And Geelong without Danger? Shizen

And the Crows without Sloane - until this year, shizen.

Pies without Pendles....?

Remember we lost Cripps and Curnow - both in the first handful picked, week in week out - and no else - on our current list - can do what Ed does....

Dusty, Danger, Sloane, Pendles and Ed Curnow? ;D
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #39
I hope/hope/hope that this was the plan - try to teach him some defensive side of his game, this year - so he is not just a Harry Taylor / Dustin Fletcher, who cant actually man up when required....... then next year, unleash him with some better balance to his game???? Any chance??

WTF, you think we needed to teach him how to defend, a defensive mindset? :o

The kid who arrived and spent his first period in AFL seniors as one of the AFL's leading intercept marks, right up there with initial ratings along the lines of Rance, or even Jones this year.

Now he's a bumbling, fumbling mess with 1/10th the confidence he had prior to our "teaching him" some lessons!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40

The kid who arrived and spent his first period in AFL seniors as one of the AFL's leading intercept marks, right up there with initial ratings along the lines of Rance, or even Jones this year.

Now he's a bumbling, fumbling mess with 1/10th the confidence he had prior to our "teaching him" some lessons!

this appears our forte, turning very good players into this ^ and turning average players into complete spuds!!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #41

Just hoping there is some method behind the madness!

Intercept marks are just one side of being a good defender. I remember Fev saying he enjoyed playing on Scarlett, as he knew he could get him - as Scarlett was good at zoning off and intercepting, but no good man on man

Reply #42
I prefer Weitering as a forward. Looked good last year until he was exposed by Membrey, now the blueprint is out.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #43
just hope our coaches make the neccessary change to the currant game plan and our recruiting dept (doing great job) recruit players that are strong quick mids mids mids 

Reply #44
I prefer Weitering as a forward. Looked good last year until he was exposed by Membrey, now the blueprint is out.

Hard to blame the player for those match ups, would be different if Marchbank or Byrne was playing.
The Force Awakens!