Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game (Read 68725 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game

Reply #210
Having more legitimate marking targets up forward has to help (if we can move the quickly).

Levi, Harry, Charlie, SoJ, Garlett and even Crippa in spurts....

Should keep the opposition guessing and not allow Rance to roam where ho chooses.....
I cant believe how much space and latitude this bloke gets. He's is a smart footballer, but he gets an armchair ride from teams with "dumb" tactics. Smart coaches ensure they work the footy through their players they know have opponents with certain deficiencies or weaknesses. Even smarter coaches make sure their players deliver the footy to spots where players like Rance aint at or at least isn't likely to get to.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #212

Yes, no doubt. But I bet other teams watched those games, and tried to repeat the dose, and failed. Even the Crows themselves couldn't repeat it. The sign of a good team when you can right the ship the way the Tigers did.

Te Crows had a major 'off' day in the GF.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #214
It's the age old question - did the Crows lose it or did the Tigers win it ? I reckon the latter.

Of course it's a mix of both, but Adelaide would smash them 9 times out of 10.

Thw Tigers got lucky, very lucky. Good on them.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #215
So I see that the club has agreed to gate sharing with Nthmond.

I realise we have Liddle on board now, and that Nthmond are cherry ripe so an agreement probably seems apropos.

But on the flip side, it seems odd to me that there was no interest in gate sharing for a decade while we struggled, and now that we appear to be on the right track it's on again! Nthmond, lets not forget they are called Nthmond for a reason, have finished in the top half five or six times since 2009.

Am I too cynical?

Is this a concession from Nthmond that we are heading in the right direction?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #216
So I see that the club has agreed to gate sharing with Nthmond.

I realise we have Liddle on board now, and that Nthmond are cherry ripe so an agreement probably seems apropos.

But on the flip side, it seems odd to me that there was no interest in gate sharing for a decade while we struggled, and now that we appear to be on the right track it's on again! Nthmond, lets not forget they are called Nthmond for a reason, have finished in the top half five or six times since 2009.

Am I too cynical?

Is this a concession from Nthmond that we are heading in the right direction?

I seem to recall the gate sharing agreement was cancelled roughly about the time we got rid of Greg Swann or maybe that was one of his last decisions??
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #217
I seem to recall the gate sharing agreement was cancelled roughly about the time we got rid of Greg Swann or maybe that was one of his last decisions??

I find it a bit confusing, some sources are saying it's been re-established, others are saying it's been extended.

I agree, my last recollection was that it was canceled, about the same time Nthmond and Collingwood announced the intention to float alternative plans to the proposed Princes Park redevelopment.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #218
We walked away from the gate-sharing agreement in 2015.  I’m not sure how long it was in place but I believe that we opened the season with games against Richmond seven times prior to 2015.

Apart from the agreement improving our cash flow when it’s our away game, the two clubs should have the clout to see off any challengers wanting to muscle in on the opening game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #219
We walked away from the gate-sharing agreement in 2015.

Was 2015 when the Princes Park redevelopment plans were first touted?

For some reason I have this strong mental link between Nthmond announcing the intention to float a competitive plan for a boutique venue and our ending the gate share agreement.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #220
The gate sharing existed for a while. I believe it was stopped in a year in which we only played the tigers once. (Which makes sense really) and it didn't get taken up again since.

From memory Richmond had the home game in the year we only played once and they refused, so we called it quits. But not 100% on that.

Reply #221
I think it is along those lines Kruddler... Richmond didn’t share the gate in a year we only played once, we then ended it the following year...

Reply #222
I think it is along those lines Kruddler... Richmond didn’t share the gate in a year we only played once, we then ended it the following year...

From memory we tore up the agreement not Richmond in 2015....

Reply #223

No, that’s incorrect.  We walked away in 2015 after sharing the 2014 gate.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #224
No, that’s incorrect.  We walked away in 2015 after sharing the 2014 gate.

No, it isn't... and no, we didn't.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blues-and-tigers-to-play-once-20131021-2vx73.html

Traditional rivals Carlton and Richmond will play each other only once in the next home-and-away season with the AFL abandoning a return fixture despite the two teams' record-setting attendances in 2013.

The Tigers will host the Blues in the first AFL game at the MCG for 2014 in round-two but will abandon the customary gate-sharing deal as that clash will be the only one between the two sides unless they meet in the finals.

This is despite the fact that the three Carlton and Richmond games in 2013 averaged almost 80,000 a game with the September crowd of more than 94,000 a record for an elimination final.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-06/blues-keep-the-cash

CARLTON will keep all the gate takings from its season opener against Richmond after rejecting a gate-sharing deal.

In the past, when the two teams have met twice a season, profits from the attendance have been shared.

However last year, when the teams met just once, Richmond took all the money.

"Carlton people would want the best outcome for Carlton and I think it is the right outcome for Carlton," Blues chief executive Stephen Trigg told Fairfax Media.

"By that I mean, I am aware of co-promoting and supporting and gate-sharing.

"While that is not part of the landscape where I have been previously, I am very supportive of that, and continue to be in the principle of that.

"But given that last year there was one fixture ... and the gate wasn't shared then, and the entirety of the gate went to Richmond, it seemed appropriate that it would transpire that Carlton takes the gate in round one this year.