Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game (Read 68714 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game

Reply #240
Did we ever confirm who got Ed Curnow back when?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #241

I heard it was friendly fire, a backhander from a team-mate.

But who cares, even if it wasn't Dusty he's still guilty of it several times a quarter.

How can the game's authorities allow one player to do this so blatantly while penalising all others?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #242
Finding a way to win is the sign of a good team. A team that has just won a flag is never "not that good." Whether you perceive them as blue chip or blue collar is not relevant.

If they have as many plonkers, plodders and b-graders as some suggest, then their recent flag entitles them to more respect, not less.

When a team with too much talent wins a flag, that gets poo-pooed because well, of course they're going to win with so many A graders - even I could coach team X to a flag with that talent. When a team of plonkers win a flag, then it's because they got lucky, competition was average, GF opponent had an off day etc.

Winning a flag is incredibly hard. Any team that does so is very good. Period.

While i don't disagree with the majority of what you wrote, i think you (and some others) have missed the major reason the Tigers won the flag.

They had basically ZERO injuries all year.

Cotchin (25)
Martin (25)
Grigg (25)
Rance (25)
Rioli (25)
Astbury (25)
Castagna (25)
Ellis (25)
Grimes (25)
Nankervis (24)
Lambert (24)
McIntosh (24)
Riewoldt (23)
Butler (23)
Caddy (22)
Prestia (22)
Houli (21)* Missed games because of suspension for KO'ing Lamb from memory
Edwards (20)

That is 18 players that played 20 or more games from their grandfinal side. Half of them, played all 25!
Doing the maths, it means that only 4 players from their Grand Final side played less than 20 games for the year.

That is simply unheard of.

So yes, they got lucky.....because they didn't get any injuries!

Reply #243
It would be interesting to see how other teams faired.

But nobody can question Nthmond's 2017 luck and be taken seriously, but they have to worry about it, they have the trophy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #244

Cotchin’s name seems to crop up quite a bit but I don’t think anyone has been named as the culprit and I don’t know of anyone who claims to have seen the incident.  As LP suggests, it could well have been friendly fire.

If it was Martin, Cotchin or another Richmond player, we’re not a club who would whinge about it.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #245
While i don't disagree with the majority of what you wrote, i think you (and some others) have missed the major reason the Tigers won the flag.

They had basically ZERO injuries all year.

Cotchin (25)
Martin (25)
Grigg (25)
Rance (25)
Rioli (25)
Astbury (25)
Castagna (25)
Ellis (25)
Grimes (25)
Nankervis (24)
Lambert (24)
McIntosh (24)
Riewoldt (23)
Butler (23)
Caddy (22)
Prestia (22)
Houli (21)* Missed games because of suspension for KO'ing Lamb from memory
Edwards (20)

That is 18 players that played 20 or more games from their grandfinal side. Half of them, played all 25!
Doing the maths, it means that only 4 players from their Grand Final side played less than 20 games for the year.

That is simply unheard of.

So yes, they got lucky.....because they didn't get any injuries!

No doubt. Most teams that win a flag need luck of one type or another. They certainly had a great run with injuries. The real question that is impossible to answer is how big a role did that lack of injuries play ? The Dogs won in 2016 with a bad run of injuries : Murphy, Johannisen, Adams, McLean, Wallis, Redpath, Morris, Stringer, Dahlhaus and Libba, were either out for the season or out at various points.

I guess when it's your time............

Reply #246
I got sick of reading about who smashed Ed’s larynx so I’ve just watched the game focusing on Ed...
I think Ed got his larynx smashed when he was out on the piss after the game.
With 1min remaining in the 4/4 Nankervis got a free kick for holding at the top of the goal square and Ed was running into frame, and @ 30 sec remaining he was providing an option in the back pocket...
He seemed to be running and breathing just fine.
I saw nothing in the earlier part of the game that suggested any sort of heavy knock.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #247
From the Hun, 31 July 2017:

CARLTON coach Brendon Bolton has called Ed Curnow’s parents to explain a move to send him back onto the field with an injured larynx.

Curnow is in danger of missing the rest of the season after suffering the bruised larynx in the Round 14 loss to Richmond.

Carlton has confirmed the tagger is still experiencing difficulty talking during activity.

Curnow sought medical treatment on the interchange bench after receiving a blow to the throat and was permitted to return to the field for a short period.

He went to hospital that night.

And from Ed himself:

“It’s probably the strangest injury I’ve had in my career,” he said.

“I got a tiny elbow to my neck playing against Richmond in the first minute.

I got sick of reading about who smashed Ed’s larynx so I’ve just watched the game focusing on Ed...

You could have saved yourself some time and just studied the first minute  :)

It looks like Martin threw an elbow back after Ed tackled him to the ground.  Pretty innocuous, but that’s all it takes.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #248
Dimma has just won himself a new deal.

I'm tipping in 16.20 days from right now they'll be calling for his sacking on talk back radio! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #249
No doubt. Most teams that win a flag need luck of one type or another. They certainly had a great run with injuries. The real question that is impossible to answer is how big a role did that lack of injuries play ? The Dogs won in 2016 with a bad run of injuries : Murphy, Johannisen, Adams, McLean, Wallis, Redpath, Morris, Stringer, Dahlhaus and Libba, were either out for the season or out at various points.

I guess when it's your time............

Thats the real question? Seriously??

Umm....it helped them greatly? Not changing a side week to week is an advantage. Never having your best players out of the side is obviously a huge advantage.

I'd hazard a guess and say there is not team in recent history that even comes close to that kind of dream run with injuries.

Reply #250
Thats the real question? Seriously??

Umm....it helped them greatly? Not changing a side week to week is an advantage. Never having your best players out of the side is obviously a huge advantage.

I'd hazard a guess and say there is not team in recent history that even comes close to that kind of dream run with injuries.

Sure it helps, of course it makes a difference, but it's not the difference between a flag and no flag, as the Dogs proved the previous year.

Reply #251
Sure it helps, of course it makes a difference, but it's not the difference between a flag and no flag, as the Dogs proved the previous year.

Who cares about the dogs. Every other team that year had a normal amount of injuries.

What i'm saying is if the Tigers had even a normal amount of injuries, they don't win the flag.

If any team manages to get through a season like that in terms of injuries, they SHOULD win the flag!

Reply #252
Who cares about the dogs. Every other team that year had a normal amount of injuries.

What i'm saying is if the Tigers had even a normal amount of injuries, they don't win the flag.

If any team manages to get through a season like that in terms of injuries, they SHOULD win the flag!

The Dogs comparison is perfectly valid.

At any rate, there are people on here who will tell you that the Tigers are major league plonkers, and even their best 22 is barely good enough to finish 9th. And here we are discussing injuries.

Reply #253
The Dogs comparison is perfectly valid.

At any rate, there are people on here who will tell you that the Tigers are major league plonkers, and even their best 22 is barely good enough to finish 9th. And here we are discussing injuries.

Your logic is flawed.

What i'm saying is if a team has basically zero injuries, they should win the flag.
What i'm not saying is a team with injuries cannot win a flag.

It is so rare that a team doesn't have injuries but every year a team wins the flag.....with injuries.

Reply #254
Your logic is flawed.

What i'm saying is if a team has basically zero injuries, they should win the flag.
What i'm not saying is a team with injuries cannot win a flag.

It is so rare that a team doesn't have injuries but every year a team wins the flag.....with injuries.

So if we had zero injuries last year, we should have won the flag ?

Count me as skeptical.