Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 25018 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #90
Saw bits and pieces on TV.  A couple of bits that I liked - Dow had the footy and Rioli lined him. Dow rode the tackle and Rioli went down.

In the first(?) qtr, McKay tired to kick a bit round the corner to Casboult and ended up out of bounds - Derm, mentioned that with a bit more experience, there was a sidestep and easy pass.  Late in the game SOSOS did that - sidestepped the opponent and put it on McKay's head - mark and goal.

The kids did some good stuff and we didn't seem to try to be so cute, which helped.

One annoying thing was Phillips (twice) and Charlie were having set shots from 55 out. Never going to work...

I recall Phillips kicking a goal from 55m set shot once before to win the game for us. Ripped his hamstring off doing it too.

Reply #92
I recall Phillips kicking a goal from 55m set shot once before to win the game for us. Ripped his hamstring off doing it too.
vs Cheats FC.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #93
Cam O'Shea had 10 possessions - 8 of them clangers. I don't know if a player in double figures for disposals has ever had a 80% clanger rate before or will again. That is remarkable. I can't see how we can keep him in the team based on that alone. Experienced player too.

You have a few things wrong with this statement.

Firstly, he did have 10 possessions and he did have 8 clangers.
However, not all clangers come from possessions.

He actually went at 50%, not 20% as you suggest.

He had 2 Free kicks against, which count as clangers.

FWIW...
A clanger in Australian rules football is a term coined by Champion Data founder Ted Hopkins which refers to a turnover or a silly mistake made by a player. Its vague description in statistical tables is "errors including frees against".

Reply #94
Playing as a young key forward in a team getting hammered for large periods will do that.

Charlie Curnow was much more prominent more frequently and hit the scoreboard less.

It's workrate and application not anything else.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #95
I particularly relished that moment - Rioli would have regretted deciding on that move, and Dow looked rock solid.  :))

That's coz his torso rests on colosseum pillars :))
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #96
Charlie Curnow was much more prominent more frequently and hit the scoreboard less.

It's workrate and application not anything else.

That's been McKay's problem at lower levels as well, at the moment he's a 50% player, he needs to learn to be switched on all the time. I think he said as much in his post match interview when they asked him about the difference at AFL level.

It's the main reason most of us thought Kerr was the better option at the moment.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97
Heard Terry Wallace say that we had 7 players who played in the VFL against v Collingwood two weeks ago.  If we keep plugging away we'll win soon enough.

Reply #98
You have a few things wrong with this statement.

Firstly, he did have 10 possessions and he did have 8 clangers.
However, not all clangers come from possessions.

He actually went at 50%, not 20% as you suggest.

He had 2 Free kicks against, which count as clangers.

FWIW...

He had 6 turnovers and a supercoach score of 14, he had a shocker.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #99
Fisher is getting better every week, runs hard both ways and uses the ball well.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #100
Fisher is getting better every week, runs hard both ways and uses the ball well.

x2... on Fisher..

re: OShea's kicking was terrible, dont know who he was playing on or how he defended so I cant judge if he stopped his man but he is lucky Marchbank is injured and
he is of the same dimensions.

Reply #101
Fisher is a real footballer and makes good decisions...Samo needs to learn from Fisher about application and attacking every contest, he is just choosing when to go at the minute...

Too true unfortunately - and he certainly doesn't trouble himself to chase with any intensity.

Reply #102
Rowe was the missing piece (or Alex Silvagni): it stops Jones being played on the wrong sort of opponent. It allowed Jones to play his game more and he did it very well.

Spot on Crash

BTW - Best game I have seen from Phillips and the MC probably performed better than ever before - McKay, Phillips, Rowe and Kerridge all did their bit - not so much Lamb but at least he tried to focus on the ball this time around (now he just needs to get his hands on it)

Reply #103
Too true unfortunately - and he certainly doesn't trouble himself to chase with any intensity.

True, (SPS), is becoming frustrating. He should be made to sit and watch a few hours of Cyril R highlights, especially the attack on the man and aggott and defensive stuff.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #104
x2... on Fisher..

re: OShea's kicking was terrible, dont know who he was playing on or how he defended so I cant judge if he stopped his man but he is lucky Marchbank is injured and
he is of the same dimensions.

He had a shocker as did Plow in the 2nd half but O'Shea's errors did at least not lead directly to goals unlike SPS, Plowman and a few others.

BB should certainly consider giving Macreadie a run if he's fit - not much to lose in the swap.

Kerridge was very solid - and makes you wonder why he didn't play Rd 1 (I believe he was fit).

There seemed to me a much better mix of mature bodies around the ball - that Crippa was really throwing his weight around really stops the opposition mids getting cheeky with our young kids....

That said still think we'll look eons better once a fit Kennedy and Lang are in the 22.

Critical imo we target 1 or 2 established (quality) mids later in 2018 for 2019 onwards rather than more draft kids.

Finals, then 4 in a row!