Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 6: Pre Game Paranoia: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 13031 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 6: Pre Game Paranoia: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #45
Garlett's omission is baffling IMO.....OShea very lucky to be retained although maybe while his disposal was RS perhaps he stopped his man and thats why he is still in.
Good to have Kennedy back, we look a bit bigger and stronger, maybe we are expecting a rough and tumble game from the equally desperate Dogs.
Very winnable IMO and will be interesting to see the tactics employed given both teams are struggling...men behind the ball or all out attack, reckon the former.....dont see it being pretty to watch...

Yep. Expect a dog-fight in fact.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #46
Marchbank might be a late test.  Don’t be surprised to see Shaw moved up if Caleb doesn’t make it. 

Reply #47
Garlett's omission is baffling IMO.....OShea very lucky to be retained although maybe while his disposal was RS perhaps he stopped his man and thats why he is still in.
Good to have Kennedy back, we look a bit bigger and stronger, maybe we are expecting a rough and tumble game from the equally desperate Dogs.
Very winnable IMO and will be interesting to see the tactics employed given both teams are struggling...men behind the ball or all out attack, reckon the former.....dont see it being pretty to watch...

Agree re Garlett. Didn't have the best game, sure, but is a unique type player who we can't replace...and certainly didn't replace with those in's.

OShea must have some incriminating photos of someone. Not sure what he has done since getting in the side, last week (with potential concussion issues) he should've been given a 'rest' from the 1's.

I think last week has been the ONLY week all year where i've been happy with the team balance....and was probably our best effort for the year since R1. Thought we'd turned the corner there, but apprantly not.

Interestingly, Kerr not named in the emergencies this week. Missed his chance?

Reply #48
No Cunningham in emergencies either :o

Reply #49
I'm still wondering how O'Shea held his place.

You and me both, he was woeful last week.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #50
CARLTON

B: Lachie Plowman, Liam Jones, Caleb Marchbank
HB: Aaron Mullett, Sam Rowe, Kade Simpson
C: Zac Fisher, Patrick Cripps, Sam Kerridge
HF: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Charlie Curnow, Dale Thomas
F: Jack Silvagni, Levi Casboult, Matthew Wright
R: Andrew Phillips, Ed Curnow, Paddy Dow
Int: Matthew Kennedy, Harry McKay, Cameron O'Shea, Lochie O'Brien

EMG: Jarrod Garlett, Jed Lamb, Matt Shaw, Kym Lebois

Matt Shaw and Kym LeBois - quite a surprising pair to me for emergencies, but they appear to have the faith of the Match Committee. I don't know that I would have included Kennedy: he needs a full game without getting injured. I would have started him in the VFL. Cam O'Shea has to consider himself a little lucky, but I guess he deserves a chance. He simply cannot turn the ball over as much this week as he did last week.

WESTERN BULLDOGS
B: Matthew Suckling, Aaron Naughton, Zaine Cordy
HB: Jason Johannisen, Easton Wood, Hayden Crozier
C: Bailey Williams, Lachie Hunter, Ed Richards
HF: Josh Dunkley, Marcus Bontempelli, Mitch Wallis
F: Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Boyd, Billy Gowers
R: Tim English, Toby McLean, Jack Macrae
Int: Patrick Lipinski, Bailey Dale, Caleb Daniel, Lin Jong

EMG: Lewis Young, Jackson Trengove, Lukas Webb, Mitch Honeychurch
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #53
Not surprised to see lebois named emergency.   He's been a live wire kicking goals and applying forward pressure (missing at AFL level for us) for the Northern blues.

We have a bit of a problem this week.

Running a defensive forward tag on johannison is key to beating the Bulldogs and we've dropped one of the few players who can do it in lamb and another who has the attributes to keep up with him in Garlett.   That leaves matt Wright or jack Silvagni.   I don't like either of those match-ups for johannison.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #54
Our forward pressure is poor so we drop two of our better guys at it and bring in a midfielder and another HBF.

Dogs by 10 goals with numerous end to end goals.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #55
Looks like we may be planning to revert to our more defensive style of last year for this week. Reduce our turn overs by not pressing forward so much, drawing the Dogs out and trying to smother their rebound/attacks a bit closer to our D50, and trying to get them to turn it over instead, creating our own quick rebound. Be interesting how our game plan reflects the team selected.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #56
Puzzling selections.  We have been too tall generally this year, Dogs are a small side with pace, so we bring in a key defender meaning we have 3 (4 if you count O'Shea - BTW how does he keep his place in the side?) to choose to play against their single key forward and a slower mid and drop one of our quicker players and our best defensive forward, admittedly both players who have been performing poorly.

Who stops JJ's run from half back?  Who do 2 of Rowe/Jones/Marchbank pick up?  Who gets Bontempelli if he plays forward? 

Team balance worries me.

Reply #57
Are we trying to lose FFS.

MC at its worst again.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #58
Puzzling selections.  We have been too tall generally this year, Dogs are a small side with pace, so we bring in a key defender meaning we have 3 (4 if you count O'Shea - BTW how does he keep his place in the side?) to choose to play against their single key forward and a slower mid and drop one of our quicker players and our best defensive forward, admittedly both players who have been performing poorly.

Who stops JJ's run from half back?  Who do 2 of Rowe/Jones/Marchbank pick up?  Who gets Bontempelli if he plays forward? 

Team balance worries me.

Fair points, the Dogs are small and you look at their backline its about intercept, run and rebound rather than key negative defenders, they will try and suck us into bombing the ball long to our bigger talls then running the ball out easy.I  dont understand Garlett missing and JJ will need a man as will Bontempelli, I dont think we can allow the latter to play off Cripps and may the best man win scenario, the Bont is way too dangerous...
I reckon there may be some late changes....would have thought Cuningham was an ideal player to include vs the Dogs?

Reply #59
Agree,  must be late changes,  named side is too slow and top heavy.   Cunningham is an obvious  opponent for JJ,  at least he'd learn something.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?