Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge RD 2 : Carlton V Adelaide (Prior Poncing & Punting) (Read 70153 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge RD 2 : Carlton V Adelaide (Prior Poncing & Punting)

Reply #195
They said on SEN we played the last qtr. with 17 men on the park....

Mick pulled the pin at 3/4 time. 1 on bench for us vs 6 for Adelaide.

Menz came to the bench at one point and wanted to come off saying "I can't effing run " but he couldn't come off (even though he was nearly crawling he was so cooked ) because we had no one on the bench.

Mick said we played better this week than last. It just confirms that Adelaide were playing to win & we we're playing to win round 1.
Interesting observation.
I will say, for most of the negatives I feel at the moment:
[1] Carlton traditionally play ordinarily in the preseason.
[2] Malthouse teams usually underperform in the preseason (unless there is money in it).
That makes your observation sound interesting indeed.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #196

Menz came to the bench at one point and wanted to come off saying "I can't effing run " but he couldn't come off (even though he was nearly crawling he was so cooked ) because we had no one on the bench.

Mick said we played better this week than last. It just confirms that Adelaide were playing to win & we we're playing to win round 1.
Interesting observation.
[2] Malthouse teams usually underperform in the preseason (unless there is money in it).

Clarkson and malthouse come from different schools of thought then.
winning culture happens when you're winning
Jury is out - will wait patiently

Reply #197

Interesting observation.

Where were all the players? In the rooms? We may as well have played with 16 and given Menzel the rest.

Funny that Malthouse, prior to the game, said we're there to win and to develop a winning culture, then pulls the plug in the 3rd.

Reply #198
Watched the game again today to see if it really was as bad as I thought in the first place. Yep. Bad. Boring.

Kreuzer concerns me. First game back so we cut him some slack, but he must start taking marks and impacting games far more than he does. Without looking at the stats I would think that Wood was actually our better ruckman on the night. I'm also willing to cut Kreuzer some slack, his numbers and his influence just haven't been there yet. Statistically, Wood got considerably more of the ball last night and ended up with more taps.

Watson seems to have only one weakness, his speed over the turf. BUT, his anticipation and good reading of the play helps overcome this. His disposal is first rate, whether by hand or foot. Still needs to improve overall to not only hold down a key defence position but to have offensive impact as well. Love his torps.

Everett looks much better around the guts and up forward (than down back).

Skipper didn't get out of 3rd gear. Still managed 30 possessions, which is promising. He hasn't been going at 100 % quite clearly yet. Hopefully he can step up a gear come round 1.

This kid Cripps could be anything. Another couple of pre-seasons and reducing the puppy fat will help his endurance.

Good to see Buckley working harder and showing some dash.

Daisy DOES look better in navy. All class.

Gibbs is working harder.

Slug Ellard a small forward :o Sure looked the part!

Simmo always seems to start his seasons slowly.

Rest so so, except for Bootsma (has that rare talent of giving the aggott to the opposition), Casboult and Rowe who were disappointing.
I know I have said this before, but.... (and I do apologize for repeating myself): I'd try Boots as a wingman rather than a defender for a while. It gives him the chance to be more offensive and to use his hoof, which is a weapon when he isn't under pressure. It also gives him a chance to work on his body work on guys who are not 30 kg heavier than he is. He impressed in his first game because he wasn't as defence minded - he played football with less stress. I'd like to see more of that until he got a bit of confidence back in him.
He was also recruited as a mid: I'd like to see if he can hack it there.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #199

Interesting observation.

I agree. A winning culture get guys to win, even when it looks unlikely. I really want to see the belief in our guys. I don't see it yet.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #200

Interesting observation.

I agree. A winning culture get guys to win, even when it looks unlikely. I really want to see the belief in our guys. I don't see it yet.

that's why I admire Clarkson (to a point) think Brisbane will forget that NAB challenge game during the year?
Half their team will loose sleep before the next game.
he owns teams and takes the opportunities to own them when it presents because he understands
the concept of psychological investment.
What do you think Norf and crows will be thinking next time??

Reply #201
Watched the game again today to see if it really was as bad as I thought in the first place. Yep. Bad. Boring.

Kreuzer concerns me. First game back so we cut him some slack, but he must start taking marks and impacting games far more than he does. Without looking at the stats I would think that Wood was actually our better ruckman on the night. I'm also willing to cut Kreuzer some slack, his numbers and his influence just haven't been there yet. Statistically, Wood got considerably more of the ball last night and ended up with more taps.

Watson seems to have only one weakness, his speed over the turf. BUT, his anticipation and good reading of the play helps overcome this. His disposal is first rate, whether by hand or foot. Still needs to improve overall to not only hold down a key defence position but to have offensive impact as well. Love his torps.

Skipper didn't get out of 3rd gear. Still managed 30 possessions, which is promising. He hasn't been going at 100 % quite clearly yet. Hopefully he can step up a gear come round 1.

This kid Cripps could be anything. Another couple of pre-seasons and reducing the puppy fat will help his endurance.

Gibbs is working harder.

Rest so so, except for Bootsma (has that rare talent of giving the aggott to the opposition), Casboult and Rowe who were disappointing.
I know I have said this before, but.... (and I do apologize for repeating myself): I'd try Boots as a wingman rather than a defender for a while. It gives him the chance to be more offensive and to use his hoof, which is a weapon when he isn't under pressure. It also gives him a chance to work on his body work on guys who are not 30 kg heavier than he is. He impressed in his first game because he wasn't as defence minded - he played football with less stress. I'd like to see more of that until he got a bit of confidence back in him.

It's been said time and time again, to give our tall forwards a chance, the delivery from the mids/HBs needs to improve considerably.... whether that forward be Waite, Hendo, Caboult, Kreuzer or Rowe.....

Bad kicking/disposal is bad footy and that is an area in which we need to develop/mature quickly.

As for Bootsma, why play him in the seniors when he simply can't do a job. Until he can it's the NBs for him. He remains a major liability at the top level.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #202

Gibbs is working harder.

It's been said time and time again, to give our tall forwards a chance, the delivery from the mids/HBs needs to improve considerably.... whether that forward be Waite, Hendo, Caboult, Kreuzer or Rowe.....

Bad kicking/disposal is bad footy and that is an area in which we need to develop/mature quickly.

As for Bootsma, why play him in the seniors when he simply can't do a job. Until he can it's the NBs for him. He remains a major liability at the top level.

Kicking to advantage would be a great start.
How many times have we brought it out of the backline only to bomb it on top of the forwards head instead of to space where he can lead on to the ball.
It does all of our heads in to see the ball continually butchered by foot, I mean why kick to a two or three on one (continually) hoping we will take the mark. The last guy who could probably take those types of grabs was Carey. ::)
Either our forwards are too stationary and do not lead to the right areas of our kicking into the forward line is woeful.
The days of bomb and hope are long gone and the quicker we sort this out the better we will be... :-\
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #203
@BP
This has been a theme on here for literally years and we don't seem to be doing anything to fix it, even under MM. Just can't understand it myself - seems sooooo elementary.  ???
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #204
@BP
This has been a theme on here for literally years and we don't seem to be doing anything to fix it, even under MM. Just can't understand it myself - seems sooooo elementary.  ???

What is it going to take to remedy this situation Cookieman?
What will it take for the penny to drop?
I know this is going back a bit but you look at the Sticks and Pearce forward setup we use to have. One would lead one way and the other the other way, dividing the backmen. At the moment nothing, oh maybe Waite leading but we rarely hit him laces out.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #205
One of the problems is that our game plan results in the ball being delivered to the pockets. This means more chance of forward entries resulting in a stoppage and fewer options for leading forwards. 

I would prefer more use of the corridor.  I'd also prefer better delivery and a functioning forward structure  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #206
One of the problems is that our game plan results in the ball being delivered to the pockets. This means more chance of forward entries resulting in a stoppage and fewer options for leading forwards. 

I would prefer more use of the corridor.  I'd also prefer better delivery and a functioning forward structure  ::)

To go through the corridor you need to have a bona fide CHF or hard leading FF, we have none!

I understand why someone like Waite, Henderson or Garlett might lead up a flank or to a pocket, but it burns me when I see guys like Casboult, Rowe or Kreuzer leading up a flank.

Your point about ball use is accurate, as a club we have made this problem for ourselves. In the recent past our HBFs and Mids loved kicking the ball over the head of the leading target to Betts or Garlett in the goal square. The leading target was dishonored, nothing more than a Billy Brownless type decoy, but we have no Ablett(Snr) in the goal square!

Carlton do not honor the lead, and have not done so since Fev left, we are not an attractive destination for potential match winning CHF or FFs.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #207

To go through the corridor you need to have a bona fide CHF or hard leading FF, we have none!
I understand why someone like Waite, Henderson or Garlett might lead up a flank or to a pocket, but it burns me when I see guys like Casboult, Rowe or Kreuzer leading up a flank.

Your point about ball use is accurate, as a club we have made this problem for ourselves. In the recent past our HBFs and Mids loved kicking the ball over the head of the leading target to Betts or Garlett in the goal square. The leading target was dishonored, nothing more than a Billy Brownless type decoy, but we have no Ablett(Snr) in the goal square!

Carlton do not honor the lead, and have not done so since Fev left, we are not an attractive destination for potential match winning CHF or FFs.
At Collingwood Mick had both but used the boundary, now he has none and we use the boundary  :-\
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #208
Heath Scotland has me worried. I'm hoping he was just running around for craps and giggles rather than taking it seriously, because on what i saw, he is not going to be in our best 22. Sloppy.

Meh an old timer bound to be a little Rusty. looked fit as a fiddle to me though. Par for the course for the best trainer at the club.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #209

At Collingwood Mick had both but used the boundary, now he has none and we use the boundary  :-\

x2 Going to the pockets is by design because it is less risky and Mick doesn't like risky play.

We also have (big) forwards with little idea (or who can't get on the park) which compounds the issue.