Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge RD 2 : Carlton V Adelaide (Prior Poncing & Punting) (Read 69485 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge RD 2 : Carlton V Adelaide (Prior Poncing & Punting)

Reply #180
Mick Says a lot of things...
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #181
Watched the game again today to see if it really was as bad as I thought in the first place. Yep. Bad. Boring.

Kreuzer concerns me. First game back so we cut him some slack, but he must start taking marks and impacting games far more than he does. Without looking at the stats I would think that Wood was actually our better ruckman on the night.

Watson seems to have only one weakness, his speed over the turf. BUT, his anticipation and good reading of the play helps overcome this. His disposal is first rate, whether by hand or foot. Still needs to improve overall to not only hold down a key defence position but to have offensive impact as well. Love his gorps. His head is weighing him down and making him slow.

Everett looks much better around the guts and up forward (than down back).

Skipper didn't get out of 3rd gear. ...and still picked up 30 touches. Good sign.

This kid Cripps could be anything. Another couple of pre-seasons and reducing the puppy fat will help his endurance.

Good to see Buckley working harder and showing some dash.

Daisy DOES look better in navy. All class.

Gibbs is working harder.

Slug Ellard a small forward :o Sure looked the part! That drop punt from the non-preferred pocket was amazing.

Simmo always seems to start his seasons slowly. The beard isn't back to its full length yet.

Rest so so, except for Bootsma (has that rare talent of giving the aggott to the opposition), Casboult and Rowe who were disappointing. Casboult's kicking seems to have improved but the rest of his game hasn't. Ran through one of their defenders to hand Jeff a goal. He needs to do more of that.

Reply #182
Did anyone see King interview Laidley? King was whingeing that he'd been given the bum's rush and got zip out of him..........was threatening to call him up later in the week.  ;D
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #183
We don't seem to have the fanaticism or the esprit de corps that other teams have. That worries me.

It's a feeling I get too....

There's been a number of factors in recent years that may have contributed to this

One of the things we perhaps don't give enough thought to is the fact that 2012 (especially) and 2013 were years where we struggled a bit with injury.
Some of these injuries were significant in terms of the quality of the player.
Very rarely were we able to field the same group of players in consecutive matches and those times we were able to do this, many were second stringers.
It's difficult to develop understanding and support structures amongst a playing group when players are chopped and changed over the ground to fill gaps left by injury.
Yep, players in the modern game should be adaptable but it's much better if these changes are planned and not forced by unpredictable events.
We've had a new coach and roles and responsibilities have no doubt changed.....and there has been a significant injection of new blood.

Unfortunately the NAB challenge is not the place to settle the team....it's the opposite.
What we need more than anything is a stable group playing for most of the season and developing the understanding and support necessary for success.

Reply #184
Great post Lodsie.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #185
I went to the game on my $5 "courtesy of the Mrs' work social club bargain" tickets, and was able to sit bottom level, front row, near the blues bench.  ;D Gold!

As a result, along with the minimal crowd, i got to hear a lot of chatter amongst the boys.

First things first...
Daisy...i love this kid! He will do for this club what Judd did when he came across. Will set the bar higher based on how he plays and acts. On numerous occasions he was very vocal around the stoppages ensuring everyone was in the right setups. I cannot recall any other player being as vocal. He seems to have picked up our structures better than our current players. I have great faith in him and the new kids could do a lot worse than trying to emulate the way he goes about it.

Of course his footballing ability is definitely worthy of a mention. He brings gut running to another level. Saved a few goals by chasing opponents deep into defence, even when it was not his direct opponent. He goes when he needs to go. He is not selfish. He is quick. He is skillful. He is everything you want from a footballer. I can see why Mick loves him.

Everitt...another good game from him and i reckon he has cemented himself into the best 22. Tall, quick and agile....which including him, makes 1 player on our list fitting that description. Henderson is the only one who comes close, but isn't as quick/agile by comparison.

Heath Scotland has me worried. I'm hoping he was just running around for craps and giggles rather than taking it seriously, because on what i saw, he is not going to be in our best 22. Sloppy.

Bootsma...i've been willing to give this kid a chance, but i just haven't seen enough improvement from him as i would've expected. He still craps himself when under pressure and obviously gets outbodied more than most.

Yarran...still hasn't clicked. Once it does, he will explode. Still tracks around in 3rd gear. Still yells at teammates when he thought he was a better option. Not a certain starter if his attitude doesn't improve....and i'm a huge Yarran fan.

Thats what i took out of the game. Score wasn't an issue for me.

Reply #186
Results dont matter but Individual perfomance and improvement does....

So what's the prognosis 2014, Elwood?

If Henderson and Waite can play the Key forward positions for most of the year then we can make the eight and maybe win a final or two, if that doesnt happen then we will struggle to kick goals and will be relying on the likes of Essendon or some other steroid happy club to allow us finals entry by default again.
Casboult and Rowe dont cut it, also Henderson playing forward leaves a large gaping hole down back which Watson will have to fill and his improvement , form and fitness will also have a bearing on how we go.
Of course the Malthouse game plan is still in the embryo stage as far as learning goes and maybe he can fine tune that to make up some ground on the leading teams.
2014 is more about putting some more peices of the puzzle together but I dont expect to see the puzzle finished....

PS..Nice to see you posting Java and look forward to your offerings in 2014....

I'm always here in spirit, Elwood. As for posting, after 14 years I think I'm worn out and the puzzle you mention appears to be an on-going thing.

Reply #187
I told you all about Bootsma a year back. He is too 'rabbit in headlights' and doesn't have other attributes to make up for it. Those saying he's a 200 gamer are dreaming, he'd have to play every game for the next 9 years. Last chance this season let's just pray he can step up.

I agree with you, but I do remember scarlett in his early days - very similar, gangly, lost and we laughed hard at optus oval - he had the last laugh

Reply #188
I told you all about Bootsma a year back. He is too 'rabbit in headlights' and doesn't have other attributes to make up for it. Those saying he's a 200 gamer are dreaming, he'd have to play every game for the next 9 years. Last chance this season let's just pray he can step up.

I agree with you, but I do remember scarlett in his early days - very similar, gangly, lost and we laughed hard at optus oval - he had the last laugh

That will all depend on what skills the coaches can develop into this kid. We all hope and pray we have the right people to get the job done. I still think we need a key tall defender from another club that can take Boots under their wing. Reading some of the reports on the game against Adelaide gives me some positives, but there are quite a few negatives I have my concerns about too.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #189
We don't seem to have the fanaticism or the esprit de corps that other teams have. That worries me.

It's a feeling I get too....

There's been a number of factors in recent years that may have contributed to this

One of the things we perhaps don't give enough thought to is the fact that 2012 (especially) and 2013 were years where we struggled a bit with injury.
Some of these injuries were significant in terms of the quality of the player.
Very rarely were we able to field the same group of players in consecutive matches and those times we were able to do this, many were second stringers.
It's difficult to develop understanding and support structures amongst a playing group when players are chopped and changed over the ground to fill gaps left by injury.
Yep, players in the modern game should be adaptable but it's much better if these changes are planned and not forced by unpredictable events.
We've had a new coach and roles and responsibilities have no doubt changed.....and there has been a significant injection of new blood.

Unfortunately the NAB challenge is not the place to settle the team....it's the opposite.
What we need more than anything is a stable group playing for most of the season and developing the understanding and support necessary for success.
[/b][/size]

Wow Lodsy! ;)
Hit that nail with the hammer right there, totally agree with you there.
But at the end of the day you can only work with what you've got.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #190

That will all depend on what skills the coaches can develop into this kid. We all hope and pray we have the right people to get the job done. I still think we need a key tall defender from another club that can take Boots under their wing. Reading some of the reports on the game against Adelaide gives me some positives, but there are quite a few negatives I have my concerns about too.

I m sure he'll do well with the wealth of experience John Barker brings to the role

Reply #191
just had a look at the coaching panel again - got nausea

John Barker, Assistant Coach – Back Line
Brad Green, Assistant Coach – Forward Line
Mathew Capuano, Development Coach
Luke Webster, VFL & Development Coach

600 - 800k worth of Merda right there! Hope mick is not running a coaching cartel
 Our youth in good hands? comments?

Reply #192

600 - 800k worth of Merda right there! Hope mick is not running a coaching cartel

Capuano taught Hampson to palm the footy so he has his uses...

Barker, Green and Webster wouldnt be on my coaching panel.....we are lucky we have secured Laidley to compensate.

Reply #193

Capuano taught Hampson to palm the footy so he has his uses...

Barker, Green and Webster wouldnt be on my coaching panel.....we are lucky we have secured Laidley to compensate.

LOL

Reply #194
@Crashlander

Adelaide showed a lot more desire and purpose than we did in the last quarter for sure - they really seemed to want to win the game. Don't know whether that reflected our weak mental state or our physical tiredness.
True, they wanted to win the game more than we did.
However, the things about that that bothers me is that we got run over 2 weeks in a row. We have supposedly been spending time on extra fitness, to run out games better. This does not appear to be working yet. Like most of last year, we are not coming home fast in the last.
Considering that this extra fitness to run out games was one of the prime goals of our preseason, this has me really worried.

A couple of years back, teams feared our last quarters. That hasn't been the case for quite a while (except for a patch near the end of last season where we REALLY got it together - that was the most fun most of us have had for a LONG time. Running all over Richmond and Port was really good).
Live Long and Prosper!